Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #21

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
If you want to convert your 70's model to wood cabinetry - look to the threads of restored older vintage trailers for a look at how the factory cranked out good looking but lightweight cabinets. Using a simple lightweight frame and thin plywood exteriors you can build beautiful cabinets that won't exceed your trailer's carrying capacity!

As for if you should - only you can know that. But I've never heard anyone scolding somebody for redoing their interior. Maybe if it was a 50s unit, with all original perfect condition interior, but the 70s vinyl interiors with plastic rollup doors, shag carpets and orange counter tops - folks understand sometimes that stuff has to go

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:41 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
When I found my 1976 31' Sovereign in 2000 the interior was virtually all original. Of course not much worked and it was dirty from sitting for about 10 years. But the harvest gold frig, shag carpet, gold/brown curtains and upholstery were straight out of the 70's, I remember them well. There was no wood exposed just formacia that was supposed to look like wood. Well I was glad it had not been touched so that I could start fresh. Certainly not with a restore to that 70's look but a refurbish in an Airstream style with modern look and functionally. Here are some pictures of the results.

Don
1976 31' Sovereign
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream Interior 2010.pdf (3.20 MB, 139 views)
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:34 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Any idea who's trailer this is? I would like to chat with them about the wood used for these cabinets. Anyone know the species?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Another airforums.com member posted these photos of his interior sometime back. Wish I had made a note of his name!

They are my Golden Dream of how I'd like to see my kitchen set up.

toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:14 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
It sure looks like maple to me. Possibly birch.
seventythree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

I too thought maple or birch, but the more I look at it the more I think birch. Either way, I love the clean and simple lines. I just may have to copy this style for my home kitchen remodel.
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #26
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
I remember seeing these pic's before as well. I want to say that this is maple, but I could be wrong. I'm using birch in mine and it has a lot more texture to it that these pics show. I've got a few pictures of the work in progress in a couple of threads here. Here's a link if you're interested. Look toward the end of the thread. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...ood-60496.html

I say do what you want with your camper. It's your baby, do what suits you! Like many others, the longer we looked at all that dark plastic, that stuff had to go! Natural wood is replacing all of it.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:24 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
I want to say that this is maple, but I could be wrong. I'm using birch in mine......the longer we looked at all that dark plastic, that stuff had to go! Natural wood is replacing all of it. Jim
Ain't that the truth.
I'm making a run to the city this weekend for a load of hickory, both solid and veneer plywood. Thinking of a pecan finish, but that's up to the Mrs. I went with the hickory because tambour is available as a stock item and I would like to carry that detail to the new side benchs
Trashed the front couch and side table and putting in a dinette.
Assess your needs and make it work fo you. I think it's refered to as adaptive re-use.

Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #28
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nugler View Post
Ain't that the truth.
I'm making a run to the city this weekend for a load of hickory, both solid and veneer plywood. Thinking of a pecan finish, but that's up to the Mrs. I went with the hickory because tambour is available as a stock item and I would like to carry that detail to the new side benchs
Trashed the front couch and side table and putting in a dinette.
Assess your needs and make it work fo you. I think it's refered to as adaptive re-use.

Tom
Hey, Tom, you got a new avatar. Me likes!

I really, really wanted to do hickory, but way outta our price range. I'll try to watch for your pic's when you get 'er done.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:54 PM   #29
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post

One thing I wondered when I saw this is where did he put the furnace? Maybe the TW is completely different, but in the SOTR, as you know, the OEM furnace is in the cabinet foreward of the sink. That's one of the reasons I would like to contact the original desginer/builder.
The furnace on a Tradewind of that year was under the sink, just to the right. Pretty much the same spot as in a Safari. The battery compartment would be just forward of that.

I don't think the wood is birch, it's not "yellow" enough.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventythree View Post
It sure looks like maple to me. Possibly birch.
What about poplar?
Wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage

I think the current owners of 1967 Buick Rivieras or the 1967 Buick GS 400s would disagree with you there, Jammer.

And I also think that every year of AS TTs have the capability of becoming "classics", if they are maintained in good condition. Even yours.

They all show the evolution of Airstream. From the earliest with (almost) no DC circuitry and no waste tanks and few windows, to the slick and sleek 31-footers of today that tip the scales at five tons, replete with every convenience found in modern homes, and glass galore to show it off.

While I don't feel that any single one is more disposable than another, I do recognize each owner's right to "update" it or completely revise it, to his or her tastes.
And I guess an Airstream is "just an old trailer"? I'd tow my AS with one of these baby'sand get more looks than some guy driving his 67 cuda for sure!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2052892020.png
Views:	131
Size:	665.5 KB
ID:	138534   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2090724692.png
Views:	140
Size:	605.9 KB
ID:	138535  

Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:18 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
1959 18' Traveler
2014 28' International
1975 24' Argosy 24
Nampa , Idaho
True AS CLASSICS

In my opinion, the true classics were probably in the Wally Byam era. That being said, all AIRSTREAMS that have been loved and taken care of are TREASURES.

Tags
1974, 31', sovereign