Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Rivet Want to remove antenna from 1974 Sovereign

Due to the fact that television is no longer analog as well as the fact that my AS is wired for dish, I would like to remove the antenna on the roof. I have noticed that I have leaking at the 'crank' area of the antenna and I do have Vulkem as well as a sheet of aluminum to 'patch' this area. Does anyone have step by step pics and instructions? I also have a rivet gun but I have not used it as of yet----I am afraid that I will do something wrong with the rivet gun...Can anyone help?
Old 12-02-2008, 11:45 PM   #2
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by imeynstein View Post
Due to the fact that television is no longer analog as well as the fact that my AS is wired for dish, I would like to remove the antenna on the roof. I have noticed that I have leaking at the 'crank' area of the antenna and I do have Vulkem as well as a sheet of aluminum to 'patch' this area. Does anyone have step by step pics and instructions? I also have a rivet gun but I have not used it as of yet----I am afraid that I will do something wrong with the rivet gun...Can anyone help?
I'have dismountled the antenna too because not possibility to use it in France so I've let on the roof the support . All around the antenna support, I've used Vulkem sealant and no leak during years after the job was made.
I think it was the best solution because, don't forget inside , there is the manoeuvre cranck to moove the antenna and without that, you'll get a great hole, very difficult to hide for the esthetic. I've only dismontled too, inside, the cranck to not to be use and not destroy my sealant outside if rotation...

if that can help you....
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:56 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Lynnwood , Washington
I removed mine a year ago and used the base of the antenna base as the template for the patch including the rivet holes (so be careful when you drill out the old rivets). I used olympic rivets so it would match all the others. I used a polyurethane (vulkum) to seal the patch. I also tied a line to the coax cable before I pulled it, my intention is to add a light to cover the hole for the crank. After I paint the interior I'll pull a wire with the string and add a LED light above the table. Hope this helped

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Ifihadtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Try here, this should give you an idea.

Leak
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I removed mine and shot a patch on using the original screw holes and then adding an extra set of holes in between each screw hole. I used solid shank rivets bucked on the inside. The small patch behind it is where the antenna wire ran through the shell.
Attached Images

Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Aerowood, The pic looks almost identical to what I did on top of a 1971 Caravel. Great job.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Just FYI, the old Braund antenna will pick up digital signals. If you want to pull it off, fine, but don't do it only because you heard it won't work any more.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I took off my antenna several years ago and made a temporary patch with a plastic container lid and vulkem. Temporary has become semi permanent and the patch is still there.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
The antenna in our 69 wasn't getting very good signal on analog, but found with the digital converter it picked up much better (since the digital signal is so much more effient). I did find that the signal could be improved, and tried the connection with coax instead of the very brittle 2 conductor ribbon cable and between projects will pull a new coax in the wall to replace it, since the picture was far superior. Having a dish is great, but do you still get the local channels or do you have to resort to an antenna for those? Could simply pull coax to the antenna and hook it up to your dish box and have satalite and local all set to go.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:59 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
I did remove my antenna!! It was much easier than I thought it would be. Weather was my main enemy. I did patch the exterior with vulkem and aluminum over the area where the antenna was. I plan on placing aluminum in the interior on the middle section to cover the antenna 'hole' and am planning on replacing my old lights due to them not working--have to find out where my lighting problem lies...

Tags
1974, sovereign, antenna