Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #41
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hi Sandy the shore power cord has bare wires on one end to hard wire it right into your panel box.
RV Power Cords from PPL for Sale - PPL Motor Homes

A 30 amp extension cord has one end male and one end female.
30 amp Extension Cords from PPL for Sale - PPL Motor Homes
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #42
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Hi Sandy the shore power cord has bare wires on one end to hard wire it right into your panel box.
RV Power Cords from PPL for Sale - PPL Motor Homes

A 30 amp extension cord has one end male and one end female.
30 amp Extension Cords from PPL for Sale - PPL Motor Homes
Thanks Chris,
I couldn't figure out why they weren't the same. Now I know. Do you have a sun tan now?
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #43
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Up with the lights

I need some help getting a source or ideas on how to replace all the ceiling lights in the Albatross with something that doesn't look like cheap plastic from the 1970's. Which were great years, I'm just saying. The old stuff is pretty bad and in rough shape so I don't want to use that as is. I am wondering if there is an aluminum/stainless steel option that someone has used as a replacement. I used to do stained glass but I don't think that is practical or safe in this instance. I welcome ideas and possible solutions that are out there.
Sandy
Old 02-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
I need some help getting a source or ideas on how to replace all the ceiling lights in the Albatross with something that doesn't look like cheap plastic from the 1970's. Which were great years, I'm just saying. The old stuff is pretty bad and in rough shape so I don't want to use that as is. I am wondering if there is an aluminum/stainless steel option that someone has used as a replacement. I used to do stained glass but I don't think that is practical or safe in this instance. I welcome ideas and possible solutions that are out there.
Sandy
I'm happy to share one of my many bookmarks to lights that I've saved, but I'm not familiar with the type that you had? Are they puck style? Spotlights? Overhead flat lights? fluorescent?

To be honest, if you secured it well, stained glass might actually look realllly cool. You obviously couldn't do a hanging lamp from the ceiling, but maybe some sort of flat panel design that secures with some aluminum L-channel over a more normal light fixture (or over the existing ones), leaving a 1" gap around the top to allow the light to direct outwards along the inside wall curves, as well as down through the stained glass. Since I don't think you plan to be inside the trailer while it is moving, it probably isn't much more unsafe to have glass in the Airstream compared to glass at home.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
I'm happy to share one of my many bookmarks to lights that I've saved, but I'm not familiar with the type that you had? Are they puck style? Spotlights? Overhead flat lights? fluorescent?

To be honest, if you secured it well, stained glass might actually look realllly cool. You obviously couldn't do a hanging lamp from the ceiling, but maybe some sort of flat panel design that secures with some aluminum L-channel over a more normal light fixture (or over the existing ones), leaving a 1" gap around the top to allow the light to direct outwards along the inside wall curves, as well as down through the stained glass. Since I don't think you plan to be inside the trailer while it is moving, it probably isn't much more unsafe to have glass in the Airstream compared to glass at home.
Depending on how complex your design is, or maybe anyway, you would probably want a piece of plastic the size of your stained glass panel mounted against it underneath to support the lead joints, don't you think? I haven't done it for a long time, but seems like a horizontal mount like that would need support, especially going down the vibrating, bouncing road. But what a completely cool idea! Gotta re-think my resto plans...

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #46
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Flat rectangles of plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post

Peter,
I would really like to see what you have found in your research. We have flat plastic incandescent lights that are mounted up flat on the ceiling. They are really in tough shape and I think just about anything would look better but I would really like something that isn't plastic. I am afraid to do anything glass in case it would get rattled loose and fall sometime. Plus it would put my life in danger when my husband makes me ride in there during trips
Sandy
Old 02-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #47
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Cool idea but kind of scary....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
Depending on how complex your design is, or maybe anyway, you would probably want a piece of plastic the size of your stained glass panel mounted against it underneath to support the lead joints, don't you think? I haven't done it for a long time, but seems like a horizontal mount like that would need support, especially going down the vibrating, bouncing road. But what a completely cool idea! Gotta re-think my resto plans...
Vivian
I thought kind of the same idea but then quickly decided it would be too dangerous. Even if it stayed together during the hauling back and forth, it would be really dangerous if if fell at any time. I hate to even think about how dangerous that would be

So then I went to some sort of custom made aluminum piece but didn't have a clue on how I would do it. That is when I decided I would turn where I get my best ideas...from people on the Forums! I was curious what kind of lightweight material that could transmit light that wouldn't melt. I can think of a number of possible ideas if I could figure out which materials I could use and where to find these materials.

I just finished doing all my switch plates for the Albatross and wanted to do something custom for the lights as well. If you come up with some ideas, I would love to hear them.
Sandy
Old 02-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I had to read this line twice . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
I haven't done it for a long time, but seems like a horizontal mount like that would need support, especially going down the vibrating, bouncing road.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
Sandy, by your description it sounds like you have ceiling light fixtures that have 6 1141 bulbs with a rectangular white plastic cover that has 2 small holes in it. One hole for the round light switch knob and the other for a securing nut or vent crank handle. Those plastic covers do yellow with age and new replacements are available. That would be the easiest and cheapest solution. If you wanted to go with recessed puck lights like the modern Airstreams have, I believe you could remove the center ceiling panel and rewire for the pucks.

The 1141 incandescent bulbs use alot of battery and make alot of heat. LED replacements reduce heat buildup inside the trailer in hot weather and battery drain when off the grid.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #50
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
1000 words

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
Peter,
I would really like to see what you have found in your research. We have flat plastic incandescent lights that are mounted up flat on the ceiling. They are really in tough shape and I think just about anything would look better but I would really like something that isn't plastic. I am afraid to do anything glass in case it would get rattled loose and fall sometime. Plus it would put my life in danger when my husband makes me ride in there during trips
Sandy

As they say, a picture is worth....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2-18-12 045.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	151390  
Old 02-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #51
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Are 3 way switches really $28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsale View Post
Sandy, by your description it sounds like you have ceiling light fixtures that have 6 1141 bulbs with a rectangular white plastic cover that has 2 small holes in it. One hole for the round light switch knob and the other for a securing nut or vent crank handle. Those plastic covers do yellow with age and new replacements are available. That would be the easiest and cheapest solution. If you wanted to go with recessed puck lights like the modern Airstreams have, I believe you could remove the center ceiling panel and rewire for the pucks.

The 1141 incandescent bulbs use alot of battery and make alot of heat. LED replacements reduce heat buildup inside the trailer in hot weather and battery drain when off the grid.
We found four of our 3 way switches are bad on the overhead lights and the prices are $28 each. Can this be right? Any other ideas?
Sandy
Old 02-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #52
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Sandy,
Cheap light cover replacements.
Airstream Ceiling Light Lens 201154 Airstream Light Lens 1972 1977 [201154] - $14.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!
The switch is a tad pricey. Three way switches are used in a lot of applications. I'm sure you could take one to Grainger and get one that would work, but I doubt it would be much cheaper. It might be though.
Switch,3-way w/color coded wire 510195 Airstream Light Lens 1972 1977 switch [510195] - $26.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:49 AM   #53
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Info...thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Sandy,
Cheap light cover replacements.
Airstream Ceiling Light Lens 201154 Airstream Light Lens 1972 1977 [201154] - $14.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!
The switch is a tad pricey. Three way switches are used in a lot of applications. I'm sure you could take one to Grainger and get one that would work, but I doubt it would be much cheaper. It might be though.
Switch,3-way w/color coded wire 510195 Airstream Light Lens 1972 1977 switch [510195] - $26.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!
Thanks Top,
I was hoping perhaps I could find a replacement for a little less money. Seems like anything connected with this project really means lots of time and plenty of $$$$. We might just have to bit the bullet on this one.
Sandy
Old 02-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #54
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
First draft of the new light

Here is a birch and aluminum light fixture for DH's first draft for replacing the yellowed plastic ones. I wonder if the fact that you can see the bulbs and wires would distract or be unsightly? If I had a sheet of something that wouldn't burn, I could slip it in there and it would be perfect. Comments?
Sandy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Albatross work late January 2012 001.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	151515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Albatross work late January 2012 002.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	293.0 KB
ID:	151516  

Name:	Albatross work late January 2012 003.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	151517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Albatross work late January 2012 004.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	151518  

Old 02-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #55

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan
Here is a birch and aluminum light fixture for DH's first draft for replacing the yellowed plastic ones. I wonder if the fact that you can see the bulbs and wires would distract or be unsightly? If I had a sheet of something that wouldn't burn, I could slip it in there and it would be perfect. Comments?
Sandy
I think the draft version looks fine. I agree that something needs to be added. Not necessarily for the wires but to diffuse the light a bit.

Great initiative our your part.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #56
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
I think the draft version looks fine. I agree that something needs to be added. Not necessarily for the wires but to diffuse the light a bit.

Great initiative our your part.
I am wondering if we got some thin mica sheets and put them just across the bulb area....that might work. DH says it has to be open for the fan part so I can't close it completely off. Perhaps back to the drawing board. I will give my DH your compliment; he's the brains behind the entire project.
Sandy
Old 02-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #57
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Ah ha! Heres where you went! Lookin good!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #58
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Hiding in plain sight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
Ah ha! Heres where you went! Lookin good!
I sneaked away...actually I changed from the original frame thread as I didn't think it really fit anymore. Now I am just trying to document as we go along and figure out how to make things work on each step. Sometimes it feels like a gigantic jigsaw puzzle wrapped in a huge ball of tangled yarn. I liked your summation of the kind of daily work that you posted today The work that goes on for each tiny step and you can't even see how much time you put into those jobs. The good part is that some day we are going to be able to go camping!
Sandy
Old 02-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #59
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Need some knobs

Does anyone know where we can get some new knobs for the four ceiling light fixtures that we have? They are fairly large flat knobs that turn the three way switch for the lights. We have three now (need four) and would like to either find all new (first preference depending upon cost) or something that looks even better than original.
Sandy
Old 02-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #60
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Building some pennants for camping

Since everyone in my family loves to camp, I have been busy making pennants for every camper. The plan is to hang them from the trees and camper when we go out. Each one signifies one of the kids, some of their favorite colors, or interests. I made some with small pennants and some larger. Should be interesting to see what sizes I finally end up with. Keeps me out of trouble anyway and helps me to wait patiently for our first camping trip this summer when we are all camping together on four adjacent sites in MN.
Sandy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Feb.  2012 progress 007.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	152000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Feb.  2012 progress 012.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	152001