RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #161
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
Suggestions?
Sandy
I like it as is.

Wait one year. If it's still bothering you in one year, then change them out.

`
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #162
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Might be right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
My suggestion is to become less picky and enjoy the contrast. That's how I get through life--let the hard stuff slide!

Zep
You might be right on this. I am thinking it is minor in the grand scheme of things but you know how those little things can just bug you. I am going to try not let this bother me as the doors work just fine and after the trailer gets its first beating from people camping in it, I likely won't even notice or care anymore. Either that or I take up wearing sunglasses inside.
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #163
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Good plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
I like it as is.

Wait one year. If it's still bothering you in one year, then change them out.

`
I like that plan Splitrock! I have several things in the trailer that I am trying to learn to love. I am usually not that picky but so much work has gone into every step along the way, I find myself critical of these items. I want it to be perfect as we take it out for the first time this summer and share it with our family.

I have to remind myself this is an old dinged and dented trailer with many lives it has lived and many stories yet to tell, with two dinged and dented people dragging it along the way. Nothing is perfect right?
Sandy
Old 05-30-2012, 11:55 PM   #164
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
The sliding doors are installed in the galley but they came out a darker color on the birch than the surrounding birch. It must be the difference in the wood as they are all birch finished with sealer only. Contemplating what to do about this. Wood is wood and has natural variations but this is a bit too much of a contrast for me. Maybe I am being just too picky? DH isn't too wild about it either so I know he would change it out if I decide it has to go. Suggestions?
Sandy
Wow!!! You are making some nice progress. She really is looking great. I wouldn't worry about the contrast. The only pieces of natural color wood that don't contrast in life are the ones in perfect Amish farmhouses. All the rest are either stained or carry a bit of variance and uniqueness between each. Think of it like owning multiple Airstreams-- their polishes are never going to match perfectly, but they'll still reflect each other's beauty....

Seriously though, I like the idea of sitting with it a year. Finish the rest of the trailer and come back to it then.

Keep up the great work!

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:46 AM   #165
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Headed in that direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
Wow!!! You are making some nice progress. She really is looking great. I wouldn't worry about the contrast. The only pieces of natural color wood that don't contrast in life are the ones in perfect Amish farmhouses. All the rest are either stained or carry a bit of variance and uniqueness between each. Think of it like owning multiple Airstreams-- their polishes are never going to match perfectly, but they'll still reflect each other's beauty....

Seriously though, I like the idea of sitting with it a year. Finish the rest of the trailer and come back to it then.

Keep up the great work!
Is it just me or do these trailers just eat time and burn money? DH picked up the cushioned linoleum yesterday for almost $900 and he is bugging me to find the foam for the beds. I got a couple of quotes from different online places and they were expensive. Still no decision made on that front and we have two months until D Day.

I spent most of yesterday (I have the week off of work) sewing curtains and made decent progress on those. It is slow going with customizing each set to the window. I ordered more G tabs for the bottom tracks and am awaiting their arrival. I hope I don't run out of fabric at this point.

I still need curtain track for over the two middle windows in the center of the trailer. I have to get my courage up to go and sort through the piles of materials DH has stacked around the property to see if they are out there somewhere. It is amazing to me what came out of that trailer and the puzzle it is to figure out what we have and don't have. DH labeled almost everything but it is in about 19 different spots in one stall, stack, shop, rookery, or garage. Uffda I say.

With all of that going on, the doors below the sink will stay. The trailer is going to be nice but never perfect as such a thing is never possible nor the pursuit of it practical. I have bigger projects to tackle than mismatched doors at this point right?

How is your project coming?
Sandy
Old 05-31-2012, 09:11 AM   #166
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
If you've only used a sealer on the surrounding areas, you could sand lightly and then hit it with a polyurethane or linsed oil to darken it up a little bit. I agree with everyone else, though, a little variation is nice, and certainly acceptable.
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:40 PM   #167
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
An idea for the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
If you've only used a sealer on the surrounding areas, you could sand lightly and then hit it with a polyurethane or linsed oil to darken it up a little bit. I agree with everyone else, though, a little variation is nice, and certainly acceptable.
I will keep this suggestion for down the road and try it if I decide I can't live with it as it is. I have a feeling I can live with it but not necessarily like it. I have a feeling that it doesn't really matter and I should spend my time thinking of additional projects for DH once he retires the end of June.
Sandy
Old 05-31-2012, 08:23 PM   #168
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
You know it's funny, when I moved into my current house one of the oak cabinets was significantly larger grained and different colored from the rest. I remember thinking I'm going to change that! It took about a week to get used to it and seriously it never crossed my mind again until I was reading this.... I actually just walked in the kitchen to see if it was still there ( well duh, I mean I didn't replace it...of course it was still there). I think you'll find you won't even see it in a little while!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:24 PM   #169
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Disappearing act

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
You know it's funny, when I moved into my current house one of the oak cabinets was significantly larger grained and different colored from the rest. I remember thinking I'm going to change that! It took about a week to get used to it and seriously it never crossed my mind again until I was reading this.... I actually just walked in the kitchen to see if it was still there ( well duh, I mean I didn't replace it...of course it was still there). I think you'll find you won't even see it in a little while!
That reminds me of the totes full of fabric that I have and don't realize how much I have until I have a project I want to do and can usually make something or several things without having to go to the store. I also remember how much I have when I take someone else up there and have to face the mountains of fabric. Then it gets a little harder to ignore or make disappear.

Maybe this galley door situation will disappear as well. I am guessing I won't even notice it down the road especially if I park a couple of totes full of fabric in front of it.
Sandy
Old 06-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #170
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan
With all of that going on, the doors below the sink will stay. The trailer is going to be nice but never perfect as such a thing is never possible nor the pursuit of it practical. I have bigger projects to tackle than mismatched doors at this point right?

How is your project coming?
All Airstreams are perfect. I don't know what you are talking about.

My projects coming. Slowly. I need to update that thread. I'm very jealous of your having cabinet doors at all. I am finishing the last stick frame today. 3 weeks before my summer officially starts!!! When is your first trip with the Albatross?

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
Old 06-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #171
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:

Is it just me or do these trailers just eat time and burn money? DH picked up the cushioned linoleum yesterday for almost $900 and he is bugging me to find the foam for the beds. I got a couple of quotes from different online places and they were expensive.
I paid $500 for a '62 Flying Cloud, and when I ordered foam mattresses to be made (just foam, no upholstery) they cost $700!! Isn't it strange to have the mattresses cost more than the (censored) trailer??? So I know what you mean.

DH has been annoyed with me for stockpiling fabric, bedspreads, drapes, mattress pads, etc, but when I start sewing and reupholstering our oldies, it will be pretty cheap since all of that stuff came from thrift stores. Two bolts of lovely upholstery fabric, 14 yds each, were just $6 each, and the drapes and other soft goods were between $5-10 each. Thrift stores are terrific!

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #172
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
My sister just ordered a double sized mattress from thefoamfactory.com. I thought it was reasonable at approx $300, free shipping included. I slept in her airstream last weekend and it was comfy! A tad hard for me but I like my bed soft. She ordered

Memory Foam Mattress
75" x 47" x 8" - Custom
3" 5 LB Pink Memory Foam
5" HD36 - HQ Foam Base (medium density - Popular Choice)
With White & Gray Stripe Ticking Cover
Old 06-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #173
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl
My sister just ordered a double sized mattress from thefoamfactory.com. I thought it was reasonable at approx $300, free shipping included. I slept in her airstream last weekend and it was comfy! A tad hard for me but I like my bed soft. She ordered

Memory Foam Mattress
75" x 47" x 8" - Custom
3" 5 LB Pink Memory Foam
I have this in Full XL due to my height, but identical foam, same place. I like my bed medium -to-firm and I think it's perfect. I'm pretty sure Marie wants a bit softer, but compared to sleeping on 1" air pads like we are used to, it's a palace!!! :-)

Old 06-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #174
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
What a deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
I paid $500 for a '62 Flying Cloud, and when I ordered foam mattresses to be made (just foam, no upholstery) they cost $700!! Isn't it strange to have the mattresses cost more than the (censored) trailer??? So I know what you mean.

DH has been annoyed with me for stockpiling fabric, bedspreads, drapes, mattress pads, etc, but when I start sewing and reupholstering our oldies, it will be pretty cheap since all of that stuff came from thrift stores. Two bolts of lovely upholstery fabric, 14 yds each, were just $6 each, and the drapes and other soft goods were between $5-10 each. Thrift stores are terrific!
Vivian

Let me know when you find another deal on a 1962 FC!! I'd be in at that price!! I thought we ended up paying double what we should have for the Albatross once we got into and saw the complete mess we were in. It is so expensive to restore one of these but they are labors of love. A person isn't in it for the money that is for sure. Financially they make no sense what so ever.

I am glad to know that you have a fabric addiction too. Makes me look more normal....if that is even possible in my case. I collected some new fabric a couple of days ago to make twin coverlets for the beds. My son said "Coverlet? What's a coverlet?" I said it is the same thing as when you tell me working with a computer is "intuitive". That ended that conversation.

I haven't ventured into thrift stores as yet and especially given that I have a decent amount of fabric to start my own shop. I think I would be dangerous if I started going there. For right now, I have to locate foam mattresses that don't put my husband's retirement plans in the ditch.
Sandy
Old 06-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #175
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Might work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post

Memory Foam Mattress
75" x 47" x 8" - Custom
3" 5 LB Pink Memory Foam
Thanks Shelly,
Peter had given me this link from his bed source before and somehow I had misplaced it. I might end up this direction as the place in Fargo that makes custom beds wants about $550 per bed and the other online place wants about $750 per bed. A might steep for beds we are going to sleep on maybe 40 times a year at least until I can retire. Which won't be soon given the expenses of restoring Airstreams.
Sandy
Old 06-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #176
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Ordering soon

Quote:
I have this in Full XL due to my height, but identical foam, same place. I like my bed medium -to-firm and I think it's perfect. I'm pretty sure Marie wants a bit softer, but compared to sleeping on 1" air pads like we are used to, it's a palace!!! :-)
Once I saw Shelly's post I remembered that was the place you used for a mattress source. I might end up going with those as the cost from the others is really high. I had wanted to get latex beds because they last longer and I think they might be easier to sleep on but they are out of range as far as cost. Our bed sizes ended up being close to a queen bed split in two.

DH is almost 6'3" so he needs length on his side and I am a lot shorter so that didn't matter. Our mattresses will end up being almost 30" wide by 76" long. He might have to bend his knees when he sleeps but he usually does anyway. Either that or he can hope he shrinks as he gets older.

How long did it take to get your mattresses once you ordered?
Sandy
Old 06-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #177
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan
DH is almost 6'3" so he needs length on his side and I am a lot shorter so that didn't matter. Our mattresses will end up being almost 30" wide by 76" long. He might have to bend his knees when he sleeps but he usually does anyway. Either that or he can hope he shrinks as he gets older.

How long did it take to get your mattresses once you ordered?
Sandy
Oh that sounds very familiar... "But I'm tall"..."well, too bad." luckily we didn't have enough room at the end of the bed to put a meaningful cabinet anyway.

The mattress took about 2 weeks from what I remember.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #178
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
How do you alter it?

Quote:
Oh that sounds very familiar... "But I'm tall"..."well, too bad." luckily we didn't have enough room at the end of the bed to put a meaningful cabinet anyway.

The mattress took about 2 weeks from what I remember.
Peter,
If we order two twins from this source, we would have to cut them down a bit in width. What did you cut them with? I am not worried about the covers as I can alter those easily enough but want to make sure I can cut the foam down to fit our space a little better.
Sandy
Old 06-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #179
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
I cut foam with an electric knife, works fine...

But I'm betting they will custom cut it for you at very little extra and size the covers too!
Old 06-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #180
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Today's work

Today was a day to remove and move, and remove and move, and remove and move the sink. Once you alter one little thing, the plumbing is off and then the head scratching begins. Finally got the bathroom sink in and the plumbing connected. Reusing the old faucet unless we get it in and it leaks. It is not in bad shape and would be nice to keep it if possible.

I spent most of today sewing little elastic tabs on the curtains. Finished the set by the door and they look acceptable. Hopefully they keep enough light out to be able to sleep in places they have a lot of lights. DH is going to make birch end caps to close them off rather than to get the plastic ones.

I need a picture please of the hardware for the curtains over the middle windows above the bed. We have some hardware but not sure what is what from our pile of set aside. There might be a local source for parts and need to know what to ask for when I request curtain hardware.

Tomorrow, more curtain sewing and Monday it is back to work.
Sandy
Attached Images