Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #121
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Er, um....

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
Oh Sandy you know me. I was lusting after that utility cart quite honestly. I love that your husband is so organized. I cant tell you how many times I put something down and cant find it again til I clean up! I need a utility cart and a new cordless drill. My Makita finally gave up the ghost after 10 years of abuse.
Lookin good btw. You guys are now pretty far ahead of me. Im stuck on leak patrol. I think I have tracked down the last one above the rear access door. Then finish insulation re wire and interior walls, I hope......
Hate to admit it but he has two of those vintage carts: one in the picture and another one in his shop full of other AS tools. They are really handy to keep things out where you can see them and very portable. He used them during demo and reconstruction. I think I would buy another one if I found it because they are just so handy.

It must be a fixer upper thing to want every tool there is and it seems sometimes as if I am even worse than he is. It is a good thing we are running out of room around here so I can't collect too much more. I still want a metal break and a sand blaster...and a metal lathe...and a wood lathe...and....

We have the Albatross inside so we aren't sure if it leaks or not. We are going to try to get it sealed up for the most part and then take it outside and wait for rain. I have all the polishing equipment now plus the polish so I am just waiting for some free time and courage to try to polish. I am a little scared I might screw something up and don't want to do anything he can't repair.

Did you seal all of your outside seams already? I have to redo the Parbond stuff again as I didn't get it all on the way I wanted. It has been colder here for awhile so I haven't gotten back to it but I will. Maybe in another week or so when it gets a little warmer out. DH is still working on it diligently though come rain or shine.
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:06 AM   #122
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Tools tools tools! Love em all. The metal break is pretty cool but it does use up a lot of real estate. I keep telling myself that I m gonna strip the old clear coat one of these weekends but.....
Polishing doesnt seem all that hard just very time consuming. Cant wait to have a go at it.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #123
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Stripping clear coat...done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
Tools tools tools! Love em all. The metal break is pretty cool but it does use up a lot of real estate. I keep telling myself that I m gonna strip the old clear coat one of these weekends but.....
Polishing doesnt seem all that hard just very time consuming. Cant wait to have a go at it.
I didn't mind the stripping of the clear coat when I did it last winter as it something that just took some time and you could see the results of your work right away. There wasn't too much I could have wrecked with that.

I am concerned if a person polishes incorrectly that you could end up stretching the metal or some other major disaster. I am working up my courage to try it on the AS come more consistent day time temperatures. Seems like the more I read on polishing, the more concerned I get and so have decided to quit reading.

I will just go out and try it one weekend and see how it goes. Worse comes to worse, I will have to buy a new AS to start over with and perhaps locate a new DH when this one chases me down the street with his riveter for ruining the one he has put so much of his blood, sweat, and swear words into.
Sandy
Old 04-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #124
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
I didn't mind the stripping of the clear coat when I did it last winter as it something that just took some time and you could see the results of your work right away. There wasn't too much I could have wrecked with that.

I am concerned if a person polishes incorrectly that you could end up stretching the metal or some other major disaster. I am working up my courage to try it on the AS come more consistent day time temperatures. Seems like the more I read on polishing, the more concerned I get and so have decided to quit reading.

I will just go out and try it one weekend and see how it goes. Worse comes to worse, I will have to buy a new AS to start over with and perhaps locate a new DH when this one chases me down the street with his riveter for ruining the one he has put so much of his blood, sweat, and swear words into.
Sandy
Mehhhhh.... You guys are making it out to be a bigger deal that it is.

Just take your time, go easy on her, and she'll shine right up. I've been doing a few hours every few weekends, and I've basically only got the endcaps left for the first cut. Now I'm up to my elbows in plumbing though so it'll probably be a while. That gives you an opportunity to pass me. Go!

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #125
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Polishing in the rain?

I don't think you have to worry one bit about us passing you up. It is raining here (glad to have it) and we are trying to figure out the propane supply lines. Spent all morning running around looking for fittings and such. Did buy a flaring tool so Marzboy will like that.

Can you outline things you don't want to do when you polish? Did you wear a Tyvek suit or did you just throw yourself through the car wash when you were done? I saw how much of a mess it made on me when I polished two access doors just a little bit and I am thinking I may have to have my husband use the power washer with industrial cleaner on me when I am done.

This weekend's projects are to get the rest of the bathroom plan figured out, decide what to do about the microwave area, try to figure out the window drapery situation, and get the propane lines started. That makes for a full weekend alone. I might be able to start polishing the first weekend it is nice outside. Hm....have a son living here....could show him what the Forums say about polishing...he owes me....lots....give him all the polish, pads, and tools.....call me when it is all done .
Sandy
Old 04-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
For going into the refinery at work I wear extensive amounts of safety gear. When this stuff gets beyond repair or scratched up, it is supposed to go in the trash. I take it home as polishing equipment. Namely, my polishing gear includes a full jumpsuit (FRC's, just heavy Tyvek), earmuffs, safety glasses, nitrile gloves with leather gloves on top, dust mask or respirator with appropriate cartridges, steel toed boots, and of course some ear buds underneath the ear muffs for tunes. I think I finished a whole side panel while rocking out to Bohemian Rhapsody.

After I get home, I scrub with lots of soap and "shower tools" (loofah for men). I generally find the polish around my wrists, neck, and just around the eye, where the glasses/goggles ended. The worst is that the little bit that gets on my face ends up washing into my eyelashes and it consistently looks like I'm wearing mascara.

That's my experiences...

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
Old 04-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #127
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Oh my...

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
For going into the refinery at work I wear extensive amounts of safety gear. When this stuff gets beyond repair or scratched up, it is supposed to go in the trash. I take it home as polishing equipment. Namely, my polishing gear includes a full jumpsuit (FRC's, just heavy Tyvek), earmuffs, safety glasses, nitrile gloves with leather gloves on top, dust mask or respirator with appropriate cartridges, steel toed boots, and of course some ear buds underneath the ear muffs for tunes. I think I finished a whole side panel while rocking out to Bohemian Rhapsody.

After I get home, I scrub with lots of soap and "shower tools" (loofah for men). I generally find the polish around my wrists, neck, and just around the eye, where the glasses/goggles ended. The worst is that the little bit that gets on my face ends up washing into my eyelashes and it consistently looks like I'm wearing mascara.

That's my experiences...
And you thought I was thinking polishing was more of a deal than it is? It sounds like I need major gear for this. I might be making another trip to the store for more materials and some additional tools. I was thinking of the Tyvek suit, some ear plugs, gloves, shoes, and good to go. I don't have any steel toed boots and soon it will be too warm to think of those in the summer. I guess flip flops are out?

I never wear eye makeup so this could be a new look for me once I start polishing. I will know it is working when the people at work compliment me on my new style. Then I will have to tell them not for long....or go into polishing full time. Thanks for the info.
Sandy
Old 04-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #128
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Nah steel toed boots aren't necessary. I just added those because I use an old pair. If anything they are more clunky while on the ladder, so tennis shoes that you are willing to turn black would work fine if not better. I think gloves, long sleeves, hearing protection, eye protection and a dust mask are enough.

It's still hard to believe the weather isn't good enough there. We should average our temps...last weekend it was 104 F in Coachella.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #129
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Flip flops out...tennis shoes in.

Quote:
Nah steel toed boots aren't necessary. I just added those because I use an old pair. If anything they are more clunky while on the ladder, so tennis shoes that you are willing to turn black would work fine if not better. I think gloves, long sleeves, hearing protection, eye protection and a dust mask are enough.

It's still hard to believe the weather isn't good enough there. We should average our temps...last weekend it was 104 F in Coachella.
I will cross out steel toed boots on my list and add some cooling fans. The high
today might be 40 and we are going to come out of this cool period by Monday. Unfortunately, I have to work during the week to afford the weekend escapades. Stay tuned for that adventure. I hope I don't lose a finger or two.
Sandy
Old 04-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #130
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
What is the plastic piece by the microwave?

There is a rather odd plastic piece that came out of the cabinet that was above where a microwave should have been at some point. This piece is attached to the inside ceiling of the cabinet and has about 4 or 5 plastic arms that extend down into the space. They do not touch the bottom of the space though. They are made out of plastic and look like they are dividers of some kind. I would like to know what they are so we can decide if we should keep it or not.

The other question I have is what are some suggestions for installing a microwave? I think we should put it on a sliding tray but DH is against that. He thinks we can just put it behind a door sitting on a shelf. Ideas and alternatives would be great from Forum members. Thanks.
Sandy
Old 05-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #131
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Quick rewind

DH and I spent a good share of the day looking again at flooring choices. We had already purchased birch laminate but were worried about possible buckling or damage to the flooring if we had a leak. I know that is a silly thought but just in case, perhaps, maybe if there was a leak or accidental flood from one thing or the other. DH thinks a lot about such things in part as he was testing the plumbing and then reviewing what we found when the demolition occurred.

We brought home tons of different samples and ended up choosing a sheet floor that is cushioned and made up entirely of materials that cannot be damaged by water. Ordered a ton of it special order so we can't keep changing our minds or second guessing things. This time it is do or die. No returns and no debate. Should be here in a week and we are committed now. Either that or I keep buying AS so we can use it sooner or later with number one, two, or more than two AS. Keep those leads coming with possible sources of additional trailers please....
Sandy
Old 05-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #132
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Have heat, maybe water

DH has the furnace working and the plumbing will all be checked in the am. There were lots of fits and starts with the propane, took way more time than it should have but hopefully he will be ready to start on the cabinetry soon. Then we can drag it outside and start polishing.

The other news is that I am headed to CA in July for work. I was wondering if I could somehow sneak an AS along behind the plane on my way back. Not sure how to get that through the check in but I have a couple of months to figure that out. The other thing would be to fly out and haul back overland. Just don't let DH hear me say that. Look out Long Beach!
Sandy
Old 05-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #133
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
DH has the furnace working and the plumbing will all be checked in the am. There were lots of fits and starts with the propane, took way more time than it should have but hopefully he will be ready to start on the cabinetry soon. Then we can drag it outside and start polishing.

The other news is that I am headed to CA in July for work. I was wondering if I could somehow sneak an AS along behind the plane on my way back. Not sure how to get that through the check in but I have a couple of months to figure that out. The other thing would be to fly out and haul back overland. Just don't let DH hear me say that. Look out Long Beach!
Sandy
Long Beach huh? That's my Pacer territory, Miss!

How about you pick up a 54 Cruiser?
1954 Airstream (Cruiser)
I know, I'm a bad influence....

Old 05-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #134
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
I'm thinking the same!

Quote:
Long Beach huh? That's my Pacer territory, Miss!

How about you pick up a 54 Cruiser?
1954 Airstream (Cruiser)
I know, I'm a bad influence....
I was thinking the same thing when I googled Long Beach. Having no idea what is related to what in CA, I had to look it up. Then I noticed your city above that and was trying to figure out how I could get there to take a look at your Pacer. I might have to dream something up about a side trip. How far is it from Long Beach? Is there any possible way to say I got lost on my way back to the hotel?

I would love to bring an AS back but as luck would have it, my source in ND has called me with an offer "to make me a heck of a deal" on the 66 Safari. He was the person I bought the Pacer from and we all know that little adventure. Hmm...I think I have heard about this before. I think I will call him back tomorrow and see if $5 will seal the deal.

The other item I thought about was making my way to Inland RV but I figured by the time I spent all the money there I would like to spend, I wouldn't be able to return home so I best skip that trip. I can't really bring a lot home so I will have to be happy with some photos perhaps or a rental agreement on a truck to haul the Cruiser back to ND. Where is WSChris when I need him?
Sandy
Sandy
Old 05-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #135
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing when I googled Long Beach. Having no idea what is related to what in CA, I had to look it up. Then I noticed your city above that and was trying to figure out how I could get there to take a look at your Pacer. I might have to dream something up about a side trip. How far is it from Long Beach? Is there any possible way to say I got lost on my way back to the hotel?
Sandy
Most certainly! Just PM/email me before you head out and I'll give you all my contact info and we can see if we can figure something out. The trailer is about 20-30 minutes from the downtown LB area, a little closer than where we actually live in Redondo Beach. Certainly do-able, although depends on whether you are doing a rental car or not, since it is LA of course, and public transportation is never much of an option...

Definitely much closer than Inland RV. Sometimes I feel like that 50 mile trip takes me all day...

As for another trailer, I've been thinking about houses again MAINLY because I want a place to put another project But keep that a secret. I think Marie would kill me. Those late 40's/ early 50's models are sooooooo beautiful though...

Old 05-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #136
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Secrets to keep

Quote:
Most certainly! Just PM/email me before you head out and I'll give you all my contact info and we can see if we can figure something out. The trailer is about 20-30 minutes from the downtown LB area, a little closer than where we actually live in Redondo Beach. Certainly do-able, although depends on whether you are doing a rental car or not, since it is LA of course, and public transportation is never much of an option...

Definitely much closer than Inland RV. Sometimes I feel like that 50 mile trip takes me all day...

As for another trailer, I've been thinking about houses again MAINLY because I want a place to put another project But keep that a secret. I think Marie would kill me. Those late 40's/ early 50's models are sooooooo beautiful though...
Peter,
It is always good to have your next plan in place so you have a spot to move another AS in before you get the AS. I won't tell a soul but best be careful she doesn't read any of these posts. Great news is that the County Commission here voted to allow larger "accessory" buildings in the county so now that means we can build a little house for the Pacer. Maybe not this year....down the road anyway.

Which only leads to if I can get that one under cover, I could pick up another one to wait in the wings for when we finish these other two. See how it works? It is like an addiction I tell you. Maybe something will mysteriously show up when I am down there that I can accidently haul home
Sandy
Old 05-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #137
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
We've got gas and fire!

The latest progress on the Albatross is that our son in law (plumber by trade and HVAC currently) came to review the gas lines and make sure everything was good to go. We have gas to the stove, a sink in place (sort of), and we have heat. The sink is the original all cleaned up with a faucet that leaks so on to a new one of those. Next logical step is....go look at another Airstream for sale!! Yippee!!
Sandy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	May 2012 321.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	158813   Click image for larger version

Name:	May 2012 328.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	158814  

Click image for larger version

Name:	May 2012 329.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	158815   Click image for larger version

Name:	May 2012 331.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	158816  

Old 05-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #138
x

XXXX , XXXX
Sandy sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I see two code violations in your gas lines. The shut offs to the stove and furnace need to be outside the coach, under the belly pan. They should not be anywhere inside the living area.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #139
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Good Eyes WSChris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Sandy sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I see two code violations in your gas lines. The shut offs to the stove and furnace need to be outside the coach, under the belly pan. They should not be anywhere inside the living area.
You have good eyes Chris! He put additional shut offs below as well. He has everything double checked but I am glad you are looking because it is easy to miss things. Are you back hard at work on the Excella these days?
Sandy
Old 05-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #140
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
You have good eyes Chris! He put additional shut offs below as well. He has everything double checked but I am glad you are looking because it is easy to miss things. Are you back hard at work on the Excella these days?
Sandy
Hi Sandy then it won't be hard to correct. Just replace the lines from the outside shutoffs and eliminate the interior ones.

I have been working on project cars lately so no further work has been done to the Excella. I've got three cars that I'm rebuilding, a 61 Lincoln, a 54 Caddy and a 73 Lincoln as well.
I'm really stuck in polishing mode. I am finding it hard to get any time to do the polishing. Work keeps getting in the way. It ends up that I can't get that messy and still run the business. I'm seriously contemplating farming out the polish job so I can carry on with the rest of the build.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote