Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #81
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
If I were starting from scratch, I'd probably just run the rubber cord right over to the fuse box located just out of sight of my picture on the streetside. I'll have two side tables and a bed head covering it all. The OEM design had a single bed there. If I ever replace my rubber cord, I'll use the romex box because it's there and it's all good.

One reason for the romex in the wall is to service a reverse polarity indicator light that's installed at the exterior rear street side location visible from most campground service connection stations. It's a nice feature, worth either saving or duplicating.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #82
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
DH is on the job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
If I were starting from scratch, I'd probably just run the rubber cord right over to the fuse box located just out of sight of my picture on the streetside. I'll have two side tables and a bed head covering it all. The OEM design had a single bed there. If I ever replace my rubber cord, I'll use the romex box because it's there and it's all good.

One reason for the romex in the wall is to service a reverse polarity indicator light that's installed at the exterior rear street side location visible from most campground service connection stations. It's a nice feature, worth either saving or duplicating.
DH is taking all into consideration and is at work now trying to decide what direction to take. It seems as if every step is about 8,087 parts and involves a lot more than we originally thought. Every day is an adventure and that is what keeps it interesting! Thanks for all of your help.
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #83
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Fixing up an old trailer is sort of like having kids . . . my desire to have kids left before the kids did.

`
Old 03-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #84
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Now that was good

:
Quote:
Fixing up an old trailer is sort of like having kids . . . my desire to have kids left before the kids did.

`
I must admit, that was good.
Sandy
Old 03-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Sandy,

I'm still waiting for more questions. Hopefully ones I can actually answer this time...

Get that DH to post some more. Not that I know any more than him, but maybe I have a link or two up my sleeve.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #86
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Tons of questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
Sandy,

I'm still waiting for more questions. Hopefully ones I can actually answer this time...

Get that DH to post some more. Not that I know any more than him, but maybe I have a link or two up my sleeve.
Trying to get him to post questions might be more than any one human can be expected to do He doesn't like to ask questions unless I am the one doing it. Don't ask me why but then he gets irritated when I don't get the question right. Or other times I ask a general question just to see people's different responses and then tell him what people are saying. It keeps things interesting...or irritating...

I did want to know where you got your mattress foam from. We are going to be ready for our beds within a few months so wanted to have that here. I am afraid to ask how much they cost. On to other news...or pictures:

The first one is some of the new birch panels going up and an old one for fitting purposes only. The old one will disappear shortly. It is getting to the exciting part of actually seeing some progress on it.

The end cap picture is where we have to build the end caps like you did. First I am supposed to figure out how to unwrinkle some of the end cap. I have the tiny rolling tool and the shot bag, now I just need to know what to do, where to start, how much pressure, what to avoid, etc. If you have any of those answers, I am ready to listen.

The window picture is going to be my side of the trailer above my bed. We decided to go to twin beds so we don't have to crawl around and over each other at night. I did suggest something like a doggy door for the dogs as well but he gave me the stink eye on that one.

The last picture is his breaker box that he carefully took apart, replaced everything in, repainted and mounted where the shore power comes in. Thanks to everyone for helping on that part too.

Now I have to get off my duff and go clean up the vents on the top of the trailer. It is so beautiful here that yesterday we hit 81 degrees. Unheard of this time of year in ND. I am loving it and wanting to start polishing....best wait because I know snow will be here one or two more times before we can officially declare winter over and DH said we have 584 million more things to do before polishing.
Sandy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	March 2012 002.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	153567   Click image for larger version

Name:	March 2012 009.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	153568  

Name:	March 2012 012.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	153569   Click image for larger version

Name:	March 2012 005.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	153570  

Old 03-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #87
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Big difference between your Airstream experience and mine . . . my wife hasn't made eye contact with me since I bought my trailer. The one time she mentioned it, she referred to it as "Your trailer . . .".

I believe every marriage should have a little "friction". This trailer has been like sandpaper on a chapped ass.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #88
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
How can you not love an Airstream?

Quote:
Big difference between your Airstream experience and mine . . . my wife hasn't made eye contact with me since I bought my trailer. The one time she mentioned it, she referred to it as "Your trailer . . .".

I believe every marriage should have a little "friction". This trailer has been like sandpaper on a chapped ass.
Hard to believe she doesn't love the Airstream. They are such bewitching aluminum beauties that have so much to enjoy. Maybe she just needs to spend more time with it and it will grow on her. I am crazy about both of ours and think I could even love a couple more. I am always looking and want to find some more as we go about our first travels this summer. Does she like fix up projects?

Do you think she will like it more once it is up and operating? I hope she changes her mind because she is missing out on the beauty of them. When will your trailer be ready to camp in? Maybe that is the trick that will make her look differently at it and I agree that a little friction will always exist between two people who live in close proximity to each other for years and years. I think we bring out the best and sometimes the worst but it is all a part of the experience. Plus he hasn't divorced me for buying two Airstreams
Sandy
Old 03-17-2012, 11:12 PM   #89
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
Does she like fix up projects?
Nope

Quote:
Do you think she will like it more once it is up and operating?
Nope

Quote:
When will your trailer be ready to camp in?
It could be ready in less than a week . . . but without peeling clearcoat polished, without awnings, and without drapes. Everything else is done except for testing all the new appliances and leak testing all the new plumbing.

I could be working on it now except March 1 I fell on the ice in my yard and sprained my ankle. It was a bad sprain and I'm just now able to walk to the shop but not work. I'll have two vacant apartments to get ready when I can work. I'm refinishing hardwood floors in one so it will take me a couple weeks limping on one bad leg.

The summer trailer location in front of my shop sits right in front of the basketball goal that my 8 year old grandson plays at every day. I have to add another basketball goal on a different garage so he has a place to play basketball before I can locate the trailer for summer work.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:15 AM   #90
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Oh...bad luck

Quote:
Nope

Nope

It could be ready in less than a week . . . but without peeling clearcoat polished, without awnings, and without drapes. Everything else is done except for testing all the new appliances and leak testing all the new plumbing.

I could be working on it now except March 1 I fell on the ice in my yard and sprained my ankle. It was a bad sprain and I'm just now able to walk to the shop but not work. I'll have two vacant apartments to get ready when I can work. I'm refinishing hardwood floors in one so it will take me a couple weeks limping on one bad leg.

The summer trailer location in front of my shop sits right in front of the basketball goal that my 8 year old grandson plays at every day. I have to add another basketball goal on a different garage so he has a place to play basketball before I can locate the trailer for summer work.
I am sorry to hear you have sprained your ankle. That really puts a slow down on the progress plus is such a bother. I was thinking if I fell off the top of the Albatross when I am sitting up there trying to get the 74 pounds of silicone off of every place someone thought it would be good to add, there is nothing to grab onto and only concrete and a bunch of tools on the ground to meet. I am hoping that doesn't happen.

You are a lot further along on your trailer than we are. You should be ready to go camping pretty soon once your ankle fully heals. Does your wife like to camp? I didn't understand camping myself for a long time until we got our first camper and then I was hooked. Problem was it was a pickup camper and we often had 3-5 people in it on trips so we realized we needed something a bit bigger than that if we were going to be doing a lot of camping. Now I would go camping every weekend if I could.

Ours is not ready for at least a couple of months but we are working on it whenever we have a free moment. With the walls going in, it looks a lot more like an Airstream on the inside. I am counting the days until we take our first trip. Yippee!!
Sandy
Old 03-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #91
4 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
10CentCan,
Sandy I was reading your posts they are a hoot. I have a couple of the light fixtures with the flat knobs that I removed from my 2 previous 31' tt. I have to see if I can locate then and take a pic for you. As I recall one has a fan in it. I was installing Fantastic-fans in their place.

Steve
heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #92
4 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
Light Fixture

Sandy,
Here are the pic's of the light I have, also have several vent covers.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0708.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	153665   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0709.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	360.5 KB
ID:	153666  

Name:	IMG_0710.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	153667   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0711.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	153668  

Name:	IMG_0712.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	153669  
heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #93
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Does your wife like to camp?
No. Her purpose in life is grandchildren and supporting Walmart:-) Nothing bad there I guess.

My parents were big trip campers in the 50's. My dad built trailers big and small. Building campers was his first job when he left the farm in 1947. He built a small single axle in 1956 that he pulled on a three week family trip through Yellowstone to California with a 1953 Chevy. All our big trips had my aunt and uncle along in the car to share expenses. My parents, aunt, uncle, my brother and I, all packed in the Chevy and all sleeping in that trailer for three weeks.

The next summer just my parents and my brother and I went to Denver and the Rockies for two weeks with the same trailer. After those trips when I was 12 and 13, I hated camping for decades.

This is one of several trailers my dad built for sale in 1947 and 1948 in Pipestone MN. I'm about 4 years old and my brother is about 2 in this picture. In 1948 my dad got a job in Sioux Falls in a millworking factory, built a house, and moved us there. He was 27 in 1948.

I bought a motorhome in the mid 1980's. My wife took one trip in it with me up the north shore to Thunder Bay. The motor broke on the way home and we came home in a rental car from St Peter MN. I fixed it and sold it.

I bought another motor home in 1991. It broke in my back yard. I put a factory new motor in it and we took it on several trips to boundary waters (Gunflint) and to Arkansas in the spring towing my Goldwing in a trailer.

Picture was in Monterey CA in 1994 riding Hwy 1.

The most camping we did was with my Goldwing and pull behind camper. We did several BIG trips with that in the 90's. The biggest was the west coast from Morrow Bay to Victoria Island. She did all the big trips with me.

That may be the reason she's not gung ho to go.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #94
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heslinhotel View Post
Sandy,
Here are the pic's of the light I have, also have several vent covers.

Steve
Those are the knobs! Do they have the push on shaft with a metal piece in the middle of the shaft? If they do, I might be interested in buying them if they are for sale. That would really save me a lot of time searching. I'm excited!
Sandy
Old 03-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #95
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Loved the pictures and the story

Quote:
No. Her purpose in life is grandchildren and supporting Walmart:-) Nothing bad there I guess.

My parents were big trip campers in the 50's. My dad built trailers big and small. Building campers was his first job when he left the farm in 1947. He built a small single axle in 1956 that he pulled on a three week family trip through Yellowstone to California with a 1953 Chevy. All our big trips had my aunt and uncle along in the car to share expenses. My parents, aunt, uncle, my brother and I, all packed in the Chevy and all sleeping in that trailer for three weeks.

The next summer just my parents and my brother and I went to Denver and the Rockies for two weeks with the same trailer. After those trips when I was 12 and 13, I hated camping for decades.

This is one of several trailers my dad built for sale in 1947 and 1948 in Pipestone MN. I'm about 4 years old and my brother is about 2 in this picture. In 1948 my dad got a job in Sioux Falls in a millworking factory, built a house, and moved us there. He was 27 in 1948.

I bought a motorhome in the mid 1980's. My wife took one trip in it with me up the north shore to Thunder Bay. The motor broke on the way home and we came home in a rental car from St Peter MN. I fixed it and sold it.

I bought another motor home in 1991. It broke in my back yard. I put a factory new motor in it and we took it on several trips to boundary waters (Gunflint) and to Arkansas in the spring towing my Goldwing in a trailer.

Picture was in Monterey CA in 1994 riding Hwy 1.

The most camping we did was with my Goldwing and pull behind camper. We did several BIG trips with that in the 90's. The biggest was the west coast from Morrow Bay to Victoria Island. She did all the big trips with me.

That may be the reason she's not gung ho to go.
I loved the pictures and stories you shared about your dad and the campers he made. My dad built a pick up camper that we used when we were growing up too but not as elaborate as the one in your picture. Camping was always fun then because my job as a kid was to run around and have fun. My mother hated it. I think I understand that better having had four kids and trying to pack everything for six people. The whole idea of camping gave me gas at that time.

Now that I don't have to pack for other people, it is a lot more fun. Plus once you don't have kids, you don't have to stop doing what you'd like to do and attend to one of their needs. Loved them all dearly but glad I don't have to chase kids anymore. As long as you don't count my husband..."Did you grab my swim trunks?" and "Did you get my pajamas?" or "You didn't forget my cereal right?".

I have another suggestion for camping for you; maybe get two wives. The one to stay home with the grandchildren and one to go camping with. Or perhaps just rent one for the weekend that you plan to go camping. On the other hand, it might just be easier to take your dog. Just make sure to pack the dog's swim trunks, pajamas, and grab his cereal on the way out the door.
Sandy
Old 03-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #96
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
I have another suggestion for camping for you; maybe get two wives. The one to stay home with the grandchildren and one to go camping with. Or perhaps just rent one for the weekend that you plan to go camping. On the other hand, it might just be easier to take your dog. Just make sure to pack the dog's swim trunks, pajamas, and grab his cereal on the way out the door.
My wife has a rule she reminds me of . . . "I want you to have fun . . . as long as you don't actually have any fun!"

She didn't like to travel very much when she was younger . . . now she hates to travel. I liked to travel when I was younger and now I could be on the road quite a bit. Not enough that I'd want to be a truck driver though. I like to travel PLAY, not travel WORK.

We haven't been out of town except to visit our son in Minneapolis since our first grandson was born in 2003.

I don't have any dogs (or cats), don't want any. The camping wife idea probably won't fly.

I could have it much worse. Lots of couples have health problems or have had financial setbacks. We haven't had any of that . . . yet.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #97
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
No camping wife?

Quote:
My wife has a rule she reminds me of . . . "I want you to have fun . . . as long as you don't actually have any fun!"

She didn't like to travel very much when she was younger . . . now she hates to travel. I liked to travel when I was younger and now I could be on the road quite a bit. Not enough that I'd want to be a truck driver though. I like to travel PLAY, not travel WORK.

We haven't been out of town except to visit our son in Minneapolis since our first grandson was born in 2003.

I don't have any dogs (or cats), don't want any. The camping wife idea probably won't fly.

I could have it much worse. Lots of couples have health problems or have had financial setbacks. We haven't had any of that . . . yet.
A person has to always remind themselves that things could be so much tougher than they are. I say that every time something crazy happens and try not to stress about it. It is a good reminder to remember most of it is small stuff but I can't believe you aren't going to get a camping wife. I tell my husband all the time that I would love to have a wife myself. Someone to post my questions online, go search for unobtainium, clean up the shop, polish the trailer, clean up after the dogs, and go to get groceries. If you see a good wife out there that likes to do the above and camp, give her my name.
Sandy
Old 03-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #98
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
I tell my husband all the time that I would love to have a wife myself. Someone to post my questions online, go search for unobtainium, clean up the shop, polish the trailer, clean up after the dogs, and go to get groceries. If you see a good wife out there that likes to do the above and camp, give her my name.
Sandy

Hahaha! I'll keep an eye out . . .
Old 03-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #99
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
I tried polishing today for the first time on two of the access doors. I have a small polisher and a large one. I was brave and tried the small one. I only got one grade of polish so I didn't do a complete job on them but I wanted to at least say I had tried it. I discovered a couple of real insights already. One is that I covered my shirt and an area of about 45 square feet in black stuff (That is why WS Chris told me not to do it inside the Rookery!). The second was that if that is how hard two doors are, I could be polishing until they take me to the retirement home. I am glad I didn't try to polish inside and with a 31' trailer, I think I will buy stock in the polish company and try to get a chiropractor in the family.
Sandy
Old 03-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #100
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
I forgot one thing!

Quote:
Hahaha! I'll keep an eye out . . .
Can you make sure she has lots and lots of money so I can buy more Airstreams?
Sandy