RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #21
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Funny little things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
If the screen splines get too crabby, I just soften them up a little with the electric heat gun. I use a rounded corner push stick on the corners.
I was pretty lucky with the splines and rescreening. My husband refused to do that part of the rebuild and he turned that over to me. I guess he figured maybe I could help here and there if needed. Mechanical ability is not one of my more gifted areas so I was wondering how I would do with it. It was a lot easier than I thought and it wasn't a bad job at all. Once I get the fuzzy seal, I can put that together and he can reinstall all the screens. It is going to look pretty nice and that is one more job we are done with...we think.

How is the sewing going?

Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #23
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Awesome!! Thanks for the picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
Thank you for the picture and such fast service!
Sandy
Old 02-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #24
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Speaker wires and another set of questions

My husband and son have strung speaker wire for six speakers with Monster wire in the Albatross. I stopped in to one of the local audio shops today to look at speakers and he told me we should have used 16-2 wire (is that the same as Monster wire?) and we have to use an additional booster to get six speakers to work. He suggested some speakers that look okay (can you tell I don't know much about speakers?) and need to decide what to get along with the type of receiver. Husband is talking about putting up a combination receiver that does a number of things like run movies, play cds, dvds, etc. I use my Ipod a lot so want that to work with whatever is decided. Does anyone out there have suggestions for what to get or change before we get the rest of the inner skins up? Sources for these suggestions?
Sandy
Old 02-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #25
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Marzboy has some competition!!

Just giving you fair warning that we got another load of tools yesterday via the UPS guy. He brought us a big polisher, lots of wool pads, and Nuvite polish. Then he dropped off a small polisher for detailed work and more polish and foam pads. Looks like lots of work.

My husband said "What in the world are you thinking?" as he does not want a bunch of polishing mess in the Rookery. I am going to try a little bit on what I have stripped of clear coat on the rear door. I am a little afraid of the huge job but figure I should know a little about what I am getting into here. Then maybe I can talk someone else into helping "Oh Son? What are doing today?"

So Marzboy,
How about trading some polishing tool time for some of your metal brake time? I laugh when I see your tool hoarder line because it seems as if everyone restoring an AS has to be a tool hoarder or tool drooler because we all want the tools we don't have to make the work a lot easier. Between all the different forum members and their tool hoards, we ought to be able to build one from scratch about now and make it really shiny.

Sandy
Old 02-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #26
x

XXXX , XXXX
Sandy your DH is right polishing inside will make a huge mess of the rookery. Ask me how I know. Everything in my shop is covered in a fine grey dust and everything you touch covers you in that dust
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Oh boy! Polishing is filthy, filthy work, but probably the most rewarding! At the end of the day, you can proudly say "today I earned my shower."
aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #28
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Sandy your DH is right polishing inside will make a huge mess of the rookery. Ask me how I know. Everything in my shop is covered in a fine grey dust and everything you touch covers you in that dust
I guess we will wait for warmer weather before taking that project on. I just finished about 7 hours of stripping clear coat on the curb side and front. I did get a little bit done on the street side but I had about had it already. Now is when I really, really wished we had a hot tub.
Sandy
Old 02-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #29
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Does it eventually earn you a hot tub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminitus View Post
Oh boy! Polishing is filthy, filthy work, but probably the most rewarding! At the end of the day, you can proudly say "today I earned my shower."
I hear you. There are many days I finish up the latest part of the project and think, not only do I deserve a shower but I really think I need a hot tub. Especially after all the physical labor and mental distress trying to figure out how to accomplish something. These old muscles don't seem to bounce back like they used to.

I have seen in several polishing threads that people wear a hood of some kind when they polish. I think a moon suit might be in order but if I wait until the spring when I can do it all outside, maybe I can get by with a lot less for coverage. I mean I will still wear clothes and stuff....
Sandy
Old 02-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #30
x

XXXX , XXXX
Sandy I wear a full tyvek painters suit with a hood, a respirator mask, face sheild,ear plugs and disposable gloves. Underneath all that I wear clothes I don't care about as it still gets inside the suit.The more you cover up the less of you that needs scubbing when done for the day. It will make your shower grey if you get completely covered in the dust. The binding material in the compound bars is wax based so only soap and water will remove it. Water alone does nothing to take it off.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #31
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Good info

Quote:
Sandy I wear a full tyvek painters suit with a hood, a respirator mask, face sheild,ear plugs and disposable gloves. Underneath all that I wear clothes I don't care about as it still gets inside the suit.The more you cover up the less of you that needs scubbing when done for the day. It will make your shower grey if you get completely covered in the dust. The binding material in the compound bars is wax based so only soap and water will remove it. Water alone does nothing to take it off.
Thanks Chris,
How do you clean the pads as you use them? I am thinking I do not want to put them in my washing machine. That could be a lot of work hand washing each one but maybe that is best. How is Florida?
Sandy
Old 02-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #32
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
Thanks Chris,
How do you clean the pads as you use them? I am thinking I do not want to put them in my washing machine. That could be a lot of work hand washing each one but maybe that is best. How is Florida?
Sandy
Hi Sandy the method I'm using with compounding bars utilizes the edge of the pad while compounding so you don't need to clean the pads. Every time you rake the pad it removes the excess material. I use different pads for each grade of compound bar to avoid cross contamination of the pads.
The micro fiber cloths I\m using for clean up do get very dirty with compoiund and aluminium oxide. I wash the cloths in a bucket inside the laundry tub and then rinse them out. It takes several washes in the bucket before they are clean enough to put through the washing machine. The bucket.laundry tub. washer. and dryer need cleaning after the cloths are done.
The weather down here has been fantastic so far, temps in the 80's every day and no rain. there almost always is a breeze so it doesn't feel too hot.
we went to Cocoa Beach last night to sightsee and wade into the ocean. we are just about stttled in and have the SOB fully cleaned (I think the PO never cleaned anything in 17yrs) and habitable so now we will be planning some day trips for sightseeing.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #33
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Dirty work to come

Quote:
Hi Sandy the method I'm using with compounding bars utilizes the edge of the pad while compounding so you don't need to clean the pads. Every time you rake the pad it removes the excess material. I use different pads for each grade of compound bar to avoid cross contamination of the pads.
The micro fiber cloths I\m using for clean up do get very dirty with compoiund and aluminium oxide. I wash the cloths in a bucket inside the laundry tub and then rinse them out. It takes several washes in the bucket before they are clean enough to put through the washing machine. The bucket.laundry tub. washer. and dryer need cleaning after the cloths are done.
The weather down here has been fantastic so far, temps in the 80's every day and no rain. there almost always is a breeze so it doesn't feel too hot.
we went to Cocoa Beach last night to sightsee and wade into the ocean. we are just about stttled in and have the SOB fully cleaned (I think the PO never cleaned anything in 17yrs) and habitable so now we will be planning some day trips for sightseeing.

There is something about having to clean up someone else's mess that makes it a little worse. I don't particularly care for cleaning up after myself but when you get that long term dirt from other people that makes it a bit much.
We discovered a lot of surprises in the trailer but now you can't see anything but new stuff. Bit by bit we are making slow progress.

How does your mom like the trip and where you are now?
Sandy
Old 02-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #34
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Not a fan

Today was the first day the trailer actually started to look like a trailer on the inside again. We got one long of aluminum up on the ceiling and it is all riveted in place. I like what I see and can't wait to get the entire inside set up. We are waiting for our scare light to come so we can put that in and put the rest of the interior pieces up. Wiring is almost all done and that looks really good. Hopefully it works too.

I found a bit of a surprise when I was cleaning up the gasket piece on one of the access doors. I had two to work on and had soaked the gasket in adhesive remover waiting for them to be ready to clean off. I had pulled most of one gasket off and had about half of the other one off. I was using a knife to loosen it as I went and all was well until I pulled one section off. Out came a horde of black ants from the center of the hollow gasket. Not dead ones either. Luckily I had seen some Raid in a box when I was moving something earlier so out it came. Yuck. Not a fan of creatures that come out of gaskets or any other place really.

I also used up the rest of my gallon of stripper on the exterior. I was seriously considering just doing the sides and forget about the roof. Who sees the top of an Airstream anyway? How does one get up there and work without causing a problem denting it? Maybe I will have to have my husband do a suspension cable for me to swing from while I try to strip it. I can see the headlines already.
Sandy
Old 02-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Today was the first day the trailer actually started to look like a trailer on the inside again. We got one long of aluminum up on the ceiling and it is all riveted in place. I like what I see and can't wait to get the entire inside set up. We are waiting for our scare light to come so we can put that in and put the rest of the interior pieces up. Wiring is almost all done and that looks really good. Hopefully it works too.

I found a bit of a surprise when I was cleaning up the gasket piece on one of the access doors. I had two to work on and had soaked the gasket in adhesive remover waiting for them to be ready to clean off. I had pulled most of one gasket off and had about half of the other one off. I was using a knife to loosen it as I went and all was well until I pulled one section off. Out came a horde of black ants from the center of the hollow gasket. Not dead ones either. Luckily I had seen some Raid in a box when I was moving something earlier so out it came. Yuck. Not a fan of creatures that come out of gaskets or any other place really.

I also used up the rest of my gallon of stripper on the exterior. I was seriously considering just doing the sides and forget about the roof. Who sees the top of an Airstream anyway? How does one get up there and work without causing a problem denting it? Maybe I will have to have my husband do a suspension cable for me to swing from while I try to strip it. I can see the headlines already.
Sandy
So in between having killer ants attack you and grabbing the Raid, you grabbed the camera and took some pictures right?

And we wanna see what it looks like with the interior, so pics either way!

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #36
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
I needed proof of killer ants

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
So in between having killer ants attack you and grabbing the Raid, you grabbed the camera and took some pictures right?

Not that these are the best photos but when killer ants attack, you do your best!
Sandy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	February 2012 134.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	150534   Click image for larger version

Name:	February 2012 133.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	150535  

Old 02-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #37
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
More photos minus ants

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post

Pictures as requested with a few less rats in them...I mean ants in them.

Here is the first piece of side/top interior skin going up. Man that was interesting holding that up there especially when you are height challenged as I am. Luckily I get to be official photographer so I could grab a few photos as my son holds it up and his dad is riveting.

The other picture is of the piece of aluminum my husband is putting up between the back skin and the floor to hopefully avoid the rotting problem when water is funneled back into the trailer. I hope it works.

Still another picture of the walls with wires hanging loose and one of the rest of the bath walls that we are going to try to salvage. I got another box of the tub paint stuff that seemed to work well on the actual tub so I am going to give that a try next weekend.

And just think, no killer ants in these photos .
Sandy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	February 2012 119.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	150536   Click image for larger version

Name:	February 2012 116.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	150537  

Name:	February 2012 087.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	150538   Click image for larger version

Name:	February 2012 090.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	150539  

Old 02-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #38
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Ready made gasket remover kit available

Quote:

Sandy
Here is my ready made kit for gasket removal. Get yours here before it is too late Sandy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	February 2012 001.jpg
Size:	309.1 KB
ID:	150809  
Old 02-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #39
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
New scare light in ready for camping

Here are a few photos from today's progress. I finished the stripping on the trailer all around except for the roof. Haven't quite figured out how I am going to get up there without denting the top. I could go on a massive diet so I don't weigh as much but that might take longer than I have time to accommodate.
Sandy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	February 2012 003.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	150810   Click image for larger version

Name:	February 2012 005.jpg
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	150811  

Name:	February 2012 013.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	150812   Click image for larger version

Name:	February 2012 020.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	150813  

Old 02-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #40
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Shore power cord?

I am confused...what else is new? What is the difference between a shore power cord and an extension cord? My dearest says our shore power cord is toast and that we need a new one. Can't we just use our 30 amp extension cord or am I missing something here?
Sandy