Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #281
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Spectacular sights, Airstreams, and more

Took all day to go through the middle and east side of Yellowstone. Impressive. Pictures of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. Being from the prairie, those heights to take pictures of the canyon made me a little weak in the knees. Beautiful but scary. Did see a family let their little boy hang on the top of the rocks of the canyon.....unbelievable.

Saw about five Airstreams-some older and some newer. There was a small older one with California plates pulled by an FJ Cruiser. By the time I got the camera ready, they are always gone. Two were pulled in together at a pull out but we were in a long line and couldn't pull off to take a picture.

There is an Airstream at the new campground that has Virginia plates. Haven't seen the owners yet but some man at the check in this am was asking DH how to polish up his 80's AS. Tomorrow is Craters of the Moon National Monument. And hopefully more Airstreams.
Sandy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	July 13-13 138.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	340.3 KB
ID:	190846   Click image for larger version

Name:	July 13-13 147.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	464.8 KB
ID:	190847  

Click image for larger version

Name:	July 13-13 129.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	386.1 KB
ID:	190848   Click image for larger version

Name:	July 13-13 160.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	190849  

ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #282
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post

Saw about five Airstreams-some older and some newer. There was a small older one with California plates pulled by an FJ Cruiser.
Out of curiosity, what color was the FJ? I know of two other arrangements like mine with a small vintage and FJ and curious if it is a fourth.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #283
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Funny you ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
Out of curiosity, what color was the FJ? I know of two other arrangements like mine with a small vintage and FJ and curious if it is a fourth.
I too thought "that has to be Peter and Marie" but they went by so fast. I think it was a darker hunter green. I told DH that we might have sailed right by you but he said what are the chances? The outside was not polished so I knew it wasn't yours. Fun to see them no matter. I would like to be able to talk to them.
Sandy
Old 07-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #284
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Back home already

The time on vacation went fast and was not without its perils. We got as far out as Crater Lake and had to turn back to home. My mother is not doing well medically and I couldn't bear to be too far away from her if something should happen. Call me crazy and call me silly, but I can't be gone in case she needs me.

Sorry we didn't get to the ocean and to see what we planned to see but next time. I need my mother to be more stable before we head out again. This weekend we pick up the little girls and they are wild about camping so we might head out for the weekend. A well needed break from the other concerns in life.
Sandy
Old 07-31-2013, 04:43 AM   #285
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Sorry to hear about your mom, Sandy. America will still be here another day. We all understand. I wish the best for her.
Enjoy the memories you'll make with your little ones.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #286
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Sorry to hear about your mom, but you have to do what is right for you. There is plenty of time for trips.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:59 PM   #287
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Family always trumps vaca time, hope your mom is better soon!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:21 AM   #288
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Kind words and thoughts

Thanks to everyone for kind words and thoughts. First thing we did when we got back home was head north to see my mother. She is stable for now but another procedure to come in late August. Hopefully she is stronger by then and better able to withstand more medical intervention.

On other fronts, we actually did do something for the Albatross when we got back home and back from going north. We had the apron poured for the Rookery building and it is going to be so nice to be able to move the trailers in and out without sinking in the mud. We also ordered a Fantastic Fan for the rear of the Albatross. The lone air conditioner has a hard time keeping up with the heat in such a long trailer.

DH fashioned panels of Reflectix for each window so when we need to keep the sun out, we can. Makes the inside of the trailer very dark but we usually only put them up on the sides we need them and then move them as the goes comes around. Not a pretty solution but it works. I can pull the curtains over them so they don't look that bad from the inside.

Thanks again everyone for your kind thoughts and words towards my family. We appreciate it very much.
Sandy
Old 08-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #289
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Camping...no

The little girls have been here all week with us and the Albatross is still in the repair shop for the fridge. I have been calling back and forth trying to get something resolved on a new fridge that has never worked. Unless of course you like warm food from the fridge anyway.

Today the dealership finally called us back and said they are working with the manufacturer which is a good sign. The warranty is two years and we bought it new in 2012 in July. Never has worked and before our big trip (sort of big trip that didn't work out) we tried to have it fixed. Made another appt. for last Tuesday to again try to work on it. It has been over there since last Saturday.

When I call the manufacturer, they say we don't have to pay a dime as it is under warranty. When I talk to the local dealership, they insist I pay for all the time in the shop and then get reimbursed from the manufacturer. They say as long as we didn't buy the fridge from them, they have a rule that we pay first and then the manufacturer.

I called the manufacturer's help line and got someone named Sandy. Then I knew we would get some action. She said she was going to send an email to the dealership and then hand it off to someone who could make some changes. Awesome.

We already paid $45 for the initial time in the shop in early July. Back and forth, back and forth. Finally the dealership understands (we think) and they are going to work with the manufacturer (Thanks Sandy!). In the mean time, we have no camper and two little girls who really hoped to go camping before they had to go back home. This must be the year of fits and starts. Hopefully we get our camper back with a functioning fridge before it is time to winterize.
Sandy
Old 08-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #290
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
New cooling unit on order

Found out today the manufacturer has authorized a replacement cooling unit for the never working new fridge. Now we wait for that and then installation and test. I am guessing we won't see camping until the end of the month at least and then hopefully with a working fridge. Bummer but I would really like to have a fridge that works.
Sandy
Old 08-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #291
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
A working fridge!!

Got our trailer back just in time to head north for a weekend of relaxation last week. Spent two days at Cross Ranch nestled among the cottonwoods next to the Missouri River. Took the boat out and enjoyed some time fishing and watching the world go by. Did some walking along the shore at dusk with the dogs and soaked in the peace.

The fridge now is working and so having an operational cooling unit for food was awesome. We are planning a couple more weekend trips before we have to winterize. The summer went far too quickly. DH has to concentrate on the Pacer as soon as the weather keeps us indoors so that part is okay and it is time to get to it. Sure will miss the time camping.
Sandy
Old 09-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #292
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Another AS person in ND

Got to meet another AS owner from ND over the weekend. He was just as interested in renovating as we are and that was wonderful to see. He has a long trailer as his first project just like we had and we appreciated him seeking us out. We certainly don't have all the answers but it was through the Forums that we connected and we told him many times that when we needed help, we turned to people on the Forums. We couldn't have done what we have done so far if we hadn't had the support from people here.

Welcome James to the addiction of all things aluminum.
Sandy
Old 01-21-2015, 06:35 PM   #293
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
New day

We are considering selling the masterpiece-the Albatross. It is hard to think of letting it go but we are not able to go as much as we had hoped and it is really made for more than just the two of us. We put our heart and soul into this trailer and hope it brings happiness for its new family.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:49 AM   #294
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Well, that's too bad for you guys, but it will make someone a very happy new Airstreamer!

Good luck with the sale.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote