Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #261
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Latest additions

Put in a HD receiver and speakers last week in preparation for the July trip. Got a HD antenna that we haven't tried out yet because we need to get the tv first. Almost have it all ready to go and counting down the days to leave. I am hoping the Pacific NW will be drier than ND has been the last two months.
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #262
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
Put in a HD receiver and speakers last week in preparation for the July trip. Got a HD antenna that we haven't tried out yet because we need to get the tv first. Almost have it all ready to go and counting down the days to leave. I am hoping the Pacific NW will be drier than ND has been the last two months.
Sandy
Awesome! Post some pics please. I just got some in wall speaker wire from eBay to finish my wiring. Where are you guys going on your trip?
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #263
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Pictures will come....

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzbondy View Post
Awesome! Post some pics please. I just got some in wall speaker wire from eBay to finish my wiring. Where are you guys going on your trip?
Hey,
I was wondering about you and the latest progress you had made. We can take pictures but there isn't a lot to see. We got the LG system with five speakers and are only going to use two because we have six speakers in the walls already. It sounds pretty good with the Avett Brothers turned up and the sun setting in the west. DH is going to at add a tv soon as he will leave for work so that will be done. Can't say we need a tv other than we like to see the evening news and what is happening in the rest of the world while we live in ours. We are crazy about the music though and that was important to get ready.

We plan to get as far south as the Redwoods and then head up north along the coast. We don't have a lot of firm deadlines (one of our prime requirements for our vacations!!) and plan to take it as it comes. DH's brother and sister in law live in WA so we will meet them in Oregon for some events and then back through Idaho and home. I can't wait to get going on vacation but we have to leave the two pups behind with our son. We will miss them all but need a break. Let the games begin!
Sandy
Old 06-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #264
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Hey,
I was wondering about you and the latest progress you had made. We can take pictures but there isn't a lot to see. We got the LG system with five speakers and are only going to use two because we have six speakers in the walls already. It sounds pretty good with the Avett Brothers turned up and the sun setting in the west. DH is going to at add a tv soon as he will leave for work so that will be done. Can't say we need a tv other than we like to see the evening news and what is happening in the rest of the world while we live in ours. We are crazy about the music though and that was important to get ready.

We plan to get as far south as the Redwoods and then head up north along the coast. We don't have a lot of firm deadlines (one of our prime requirements for our vacations!!) and plan to take it as it comes. DH's brother and sister in law live in WA so we will meet them in Oregon for some events and then back through Idaho and home. I can't wait to get going on vacation but we have to leave the two pups behind with our son. We will miss them all but need a break. Let the games begin!
Sandy
I have been laying low but I am always tinkering. Since I have been short on time (and funds) I have been scouring Craigs list and ebay for cheap parts.
If you get down as far as California there are a couple places that are great for wild life and Big Trees. I would check out Prarie Creek Redwoods for the trails trees and beautiful beach, Jedediah smith redwoods and Del Norte Coast Redwoods. all are pretty great. I am camping at Patricks Point for the 4th of july weekend. I met Peter and Marie (Worldinchaos) there last year. If you need more info on those areas let me know I have been camping there since I was 5. Have fun!!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #265
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Good info

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
I have been laying low but I am always tinkering. Since I have been short on time (and funds) I have been scouring Craigs list and ebay for cheap parts.
If you get down as far as California there are a couple places that are great for wild life and Big Trees. I would check out Prarie Creek Redwoods for the trails trees and beautiful beach, Jedediah smith redwoods and Del Norte Coast Redwoods. all are pretty great. I am camping at Patricks Point for the 4th of july weekend. I met Peter and Marie (Worldinchaos) there last year. If you need more info on those areas let me know I have been camping there since I was 5. Have fun!!
Thanks for the info and we will check those out to see how they fit into the time and distance schedule. We are hoping that this is just the first of many trips out so we can file this info for another trip if we can't make it this time. DH is leaving for work tomorrow but I can join him Friday evening for the weekend up by the big lake. He will be working for four or five days so we can meet up an hour away from his call and about 1 and 1/2 hours from Bismarck. It is going to be nice to have a break.

DH put in the tv by the time I got home from work today and he is rigging up the mount right now. It isn't anything fancy but we don't want to watch tv when camping other than the news or weather. The trailer creeps closer and closer to completion and I think it might be "done" before too long. I can't believe it. Three years and trials and tribulations. Wouldn't change it for the world and what an adventure.

I know how the time and funds situation impacts progress. I will be watching to see the latest progress on your project so post what you can.
Sandy
Old 06-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #266
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Sandy, Do I read that you're going to pull the big trailer to the west coast this summer?
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #267
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Yes indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
Sandy, Do I read that you're going to pull the big trailer to the west coast this summer?
We are planning a big trip starting in July to cover a lot of miles between here to CA and back again in the Albatross. It is going to be fun (hopefully!!) amd the first time we have ever traveled without children, pets, friends, hangers on, and other assorted company.
Sandy
Old 06-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #268
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sounds like fun. I'll be watching for updates. :-)
Old 06-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #269
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Pictures for the future

Quote:
Sounds like fun. I'll be watching for updates. :-)
I will hopefully remember to take some pictures. We plan to cover quite a piece of the US and I want to have it relaxing-the point of a vacation. DH likes the Point A to Point B approach to travel with as little delay as possible between the two. After all of these years together, I think I have him trained to let us stop occasionally for a break. We will see how it goes and if both of us return still married after it is over.
Sandy
Old 06-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #270
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Do what?

When we got the new fridge last summer and installed it, it didn't cool below 50 -52 at best. We chalked it up as a new fridge, first time out, too many items in the space, etc. Fast forward to the rest of that summer and two trips out this summer, it still is too warm to keep food safely.

Called the manufacturer and they said to take it in to our local RV place. Appt. was last Tuesday at 9 and they got it in yesterday which was Thursday. Called us today and told us to try three things. One is to decrease the space between the sides of the fridge and the walls by increasing the insulation. Next suggestion was to take fridge out, turn it over 2-3 times, let it sit at least a half hour, and then try it.

Last suggestion was to bypass the two gray wires from some box behind the fridge and connect up directly to the 12 volt system to see if it cools. Having some hearing issues, I was trying to follow the conversation as best I could. When he said "You will hear the food move around when you tip it over." I thought "Gee, I am way smarter than that. I would take the food out before I turned it over." Then I realized he said "You will hear the fluid when you tip it over."

So DH and son took the fridge out tonight and tipped it over 3 times and set it down to rest. He is going to try the bypass idea on Sunday to see if the fridge cools or not. Seems as if the fan kit from the manufacturer we added last summer doesn't work either. One problem at a time please.

Goal #1 is to have a fridge that works when we (hopefully) leave on our cross country tour. Family medical issues are coming to the forefront which may either delay or change our trip in July. I wanted others to know about these suggestions as we hadn't heard of tipping the fridge end for end before. Either that or the rv people are playing a huge practical joke and rolling around the shop in tears as we pulled away. We'll tell you soon.
Sandy
Old 06-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #271
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I made a baffle like I read about on the forum.

The baffle bottom is closed.

My refrigerator cooled down fast on both electric and gas on first try.

Hope you get it resolved.

`
Old 06-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #272
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
This helps!

Quote:
I made a baffle like I read about on the forum.

The baffle bottom is closed.

My refrigerator cooled down fast on both electric and gas on first try.

Hope you get it resolved.

`
Thanks Gary,
I will pass this on to DH. He is out in the Rookery looking the situation over. I can hear the wheels grinding.
Sandy
Old 06-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #273
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I made the baffle from a 24" x 48" aluminum decorator panel from Menards. The sides are made from the oem aluminum heat duct that I didn't re-use. My brake was the side of my saw table.

`
Old 06-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #274
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Baffle done

DH had built the baffle but the sides had too much space between the sides of the fridge. He changed that now and has the fridge out and hooked up to the 12 volt and it does better getting to 40 degrees but not good enough. The fan kit he got doesn't seem to work and he is thinking of hooking it up with a switch so we can manually turn it on and off.

He put a household fan blowing up the backside of the fridge and it works better. Not sure if it is good enough to take on a cross country trip but DH will call the RV tech on Monday to report our findings from the different experiments. Hopefully they can come up with something as leaving on a long trip without a fridge isn't really ideal. Can we do it? Certainly but would really like to enjoy a fully functioning new fridge would be even better.

We will see what Monday brings. We are soon running out of time to experiment as our trip looms. Sure would like to get this resolved before we leave. Thanks for your guidance and help on this.
Sandy
Old 06-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #275
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I'd think a new frig should work properly right out of the box. Mine worked perfect with no messing around. If it's under warranty, maybe you got the wrong service guy. If I bought a new refrigerator and the warranty guy told me to take it out and burp it, I'd probably burp him.

`
Old 06-30-2013, 12:58 AM   #276
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
We were of the same thought

Quote:
I'd think a new frig should work properly right out of the box. Mine worked perfect with no messing around. If it's under warranty, maybe you got the wrong service guy. If I bought a new refrigerator and the warranty guy told me to take it out and burp it, I'd probably burp him.

`
Yah, we were thinking a brand new fridge should work from the get go but we might have gotten a lemon. Hoping we can figure out how to make it work but it shouldn't be that big of a problem to get something you bought new to work. Tomorrow we try again and we call the tech on Monday to see if he has any other fabulous ideas. I think we should just get a new one as a replacement and be done with it but the company might not agree.
Sandy
Old 07-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #277
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Fast forward please

Did all the flipping, fanning, and such and the fridge still is too warm. Talked to the fridge company and they referred us back to the RV place. The RV place said they could look at it in a month or so because ND has a short RV window for camping-they are booked up. They also said that they had to do everything from A-Z on another of this company's fridges and it went on for two months leaving them with a frustrated customer and a lot of hassle. Not the answer I had hoped to hear.

Since we are leaving soon, we don't have a month to wait for an appt. We also don't want to be pulling the trailer over and leaving it for extended periods of time once we get back as they get time to try something new. The RV guy said another manufacturer had much better customer service and they didn't have any problem replacing a defective fridge instead of horsing around for two months experimenting with different possibilities.

A little frustrated going on a trip where we are going to have to use coolers and limit our cold items but it is what it is. I will be ordering another brand of fridge for the next trailer just because this is not good customer service. We might bite the bullet and get the fridge replaced en route and be done with that immediate problem anyway. Then we have to deal with the defective one when we get back.

Things could always be way worse I say. Live and learn.
Sandy
Old 07-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #278
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
The Albatross

Greetings Sandy!

Quote:
Since we are leaving soon, we don't have a month to wait for an appt. We also don't want to be pulling the trailer over and leaving it for extended periods of time once we get back as they get time to try something new. The RV guy said another manufacturer had much better customer service and they didn't have any problem replacing a defective fridge instead of horsing around for two months experimenting with different possibilities.

A little frustrated going on a trip where we are going to have to use coolers and limit our cold items but it is what it is. I will be ordering another brand of fridge for the next trailer just because this is not good customer service. We might bite the bullet and get the fridge replaced en route and be done with that immediate problem anyway. Then we have to deal with the defective one when we get back.
I don't know whether this idea might be worth considering, but my thought is whether it might not be worth checking to see if the manufacturer of your refrigerator has a factory service center near your planned route. It is a long-shot, but if there were to be a manufacturer's service facility near your route, a short stop to explain your problem in-person might bring about a solution to your refrigerator issues.

Enjoy your vacation . . . dealing with a cooler for your food isn't the worst thing that could happen . . . I did that for several seasons before I replaced the prior owner's compressor refrigerator with a Dometic 3-Way.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #279
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings Sandy!

I don't know whether this idea might be worth considering, but my thought is whether it might not be worth checking to see if the manufacturer of your refrigerator has a factory service center near your planned route. It is a long-shot, but if there were to be a manufacturer's service facility near your route, a short stop to explain your problem in-person might bring about a solution to your refrigerator issues.

Enjoy your vacation . . . dealing with a cooler for your food isn't the worst thing that could happen . . . I did that for several seasons before I replaced the prior owner's compressor refrigerator with a Dometic 3-Way.

Kevin
Thanks for that idea. We may try to see what we can do. Debating taking it out and leaving it at home as it doesn't work well enough to take along but then thinking of trying to swap it out on the road. I see this manufacturer has a trade in special going on so I would like to trade in our bad one for one works. I am not sure they will do that so we will see what happens.

The factory service centers must be different from the regular service centers. Not sure how to find those when I look up the manufacturer's web site. I see lots of service centers along the route but no factory ones. I am probably not looking in the right place.
Thanks for your help.
Sandy
Old 07-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #280
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Sights we saw today...magnificent

Went through the Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole today. Absolutely stunning. I have decided to bring the whole mountain concept back to ND. Just not sure how to do it. We removed all the mountains a number of eons ago and that was a mistake.
Sandy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	July 2013 101.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	190780