RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #221
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Moving along

Got a message from DH that he got a Dometic 13,500 a/c and we have to install. Should be interesting when I get back and Splitrock's directions will really help us out. Still in CA....lots of interesting things to see.
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #222
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
It was 98 degrees here today. I worked in the trailer a couple hours this afternoon with no sweating. Not cold in there, but very comfortable. I entertained the idea of napping on the sofa but I kept working. I'm wiring the 120 volt side of the water heater. I'm wiring it with a switch with a pilot light.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #223
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Temps on the plains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
It was 98 degrees here today. I worked in the trailer a couple hours this afternoon with no sweating. Not cold in there, but very comfortable. I entertained the idea of napping on the sofa but I kept working. I'm wiring the 120 volt side of the water heater. I'm wiring it with a switch with a pilot light.
When I left ND on Sat. It was over 90 degrees. Got to CA and it has been much cooler here. I expect our maiden voyage to MN in little over a week to be hot as they have had the same or higher temps than we have had. I don't mind warm but hot is just not my Scandinavian style. So glad we will have a/c for our first trip out. Now just to get this week done with and get home to help ready the Albatross for her first flight. We will actually be camping!
Sandy
Old 07-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #224
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
HI Sandy
You guys are lookin great! I replaced my a/c with a Penguin II 15k. The old unit was a beeeoch to remove but the new unit went in pretty easy. Good luck on the maiden voyage!!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #225
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Thanks...still packing right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
HI Sandy
You guys are lookin great! I replaced my a/c with a Penguin II 15k. The old unit was a beeeoch to remove but the new unit went in pretty easy. Good luck on the maiden voyage!!
Thanks for the good wishes on the yoyage....we are running at 90 mph to get ready to head out. I just got back about 6 PM last evening from CA and DH has gotten the air conditioner in and running and a few other things that needed doing. It was hard to see much progress because they were mostly things only the person working on it would know.

Our son in law showed up today with the pans for the underbelly but we may not have time to do that before we leave. DH is fixing up the hitch and needs to figure out why the brake controller locks up when he applies the brakes. He also is going to use the power washer to soak it down while five of us watch on the
Inside for leaks.

There is no way to get the dinette built or end caps done by Friday so we will go on the trip less than complete but considering where we started from, it will do.
I think we will have four chairs and a card table for this trip at least. It looks pretty good really and I will post some pictures once I get some of our camping stuff put away.

Gee whiz...we leave on Friday for the maiden voyage after two years of owning tha Albatross. I can hardly wait to pull out of the yard and be on the road. It has been a LONG time in coming and we plan to enjoy every minute of it. When is your maiden voyage?
Sandy
Old 07-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #226
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
DH is fixing up the hitch and needs to figure out why the brake controller locks up when he applies the brakes.

The brakes and the brake lights look a lot the same at the 7-way.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #227
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
If you don't already have one, pick up a 7-way tester at about any auto parts store. Those are invaluable for wiring the 7-way plugs on the trailer, checking the tow vehicle 7-way, and for wiring the cord end(s). I used a 7-way tester, small battery charger, a 12 volt jumper light, and a $10 multi-meter. I re-did everything relating to the trailer 7-way, new cord, and new rewired break away switch.

I used the battery charger and the 7-way tester to map trailer wires by function and wire the trailer 7-way plug. The 7-way wire color diagrams and the Airstream service manual wire color code didn't match. The cord colors didn't match anything. The new 8' cord came with one molded plug and one loose plug. The new cord plug wiring diagram didn't match the wire colors in the new cord. I crossed the backup lights with the charge line on the new cord end. That was easy to diagnose since the back up lights were on all the time and the charge line was only hot with the tow vehicle in reverse.

`
Old 07-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #228
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Good info to have

Quote:
If you don't already have one, pick up a 7-way tester at about any auto parts store. Those are invaluable for wiring the 7-way plugs on the trailer, checking the tow vehicle 7-way, and for wiring the cord end(s). I used a 7-way tester, small battery charger, a 12 volt jumper light, and a $10 multi-meter. I re-did everything relating to the trailer 7-way, new cord, and new rewired break away switch.

I used the battery charger and the 7-way tester to map trailer wires by function and wire the trailer 7-way plug. The 7-way wire color diagrams and the Airstream service manual wire color code didn't match. The cord colors didn't match anything. The new 8' cord came with one molded plug and one loose plug. The new cord plug wiring diagram didn't match the wire colors in the new cord. I crossed the backup lights with the charge line on the new cord end. That was easy to diagnose since the back up lights were on all the time and the charge line was only hot with the tow vehicle in reverse.

`
I will tell DH in the am about this good info. I don't think he has a 7 way tester and that could really simplify things especially when tempers are getting hotter and this heat doesn't make for easy work on the trailer. He is going to head in tomorrow some time for fuses so he can pick up the tester then. Thanks for that information!
Sandy
Old 07-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #229
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan

Thanks for the good wishes on the yoyage....we are running at 90 mph to get ready to head out. I just got back about 6 PM last evening from CA and DH has gotten the air conditioner in and running and a few other things that needed doing. It was hard to see much progress because they were mostly things only the person working on it would know.

Our son in law showed up today with the pans for the underbelly but we may not have time to do that before we leave. DH is fixing up the hitch and needs to figure out why the brake controller locks up when he applies the brakes. He also is going to use the power washer to soak it down while five of us watch on the
Inside for leaks.

There is no way to get the dinette built or end caps done by Friday so we will go on the trip less than complete but considering where we started from, it will do.
I think we will have four chairs and a card table for this trip at least. It looks pretty good really and I will post some pictures once I get some of our camping stuff put away.

Gee whiz...we leave on Friday for the maiden voyage after two years of owning tha Albatross. I can hardly wait to pull out of the yard and be on the road. It has been a LONG time in coming and we plan to enjoy every minute of it. When is your maiden voyage?
Sandy
Friday will be there before you know it. You will be the only one who will notice what needs to be finished. I am still not sure about a maiden voyage. I just ordered some metal to re do the lower inside skins the outer door and rear access door. Have a great time and take lots of pics!
Oh and splitrock is right on with the 7way tester it comes in very handy when trying to figure out that wireing.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #230
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Day of pans

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
Friday will be there before you know it. You will be the only one who will notice what needs to be finished. I am still not sure about a maiden voyage. I just ordered some metal to re do the lower inside skins the outer door and rear access door. Have a great time and take lots of pics!
Oh and splitrock is right on with the 7way tester it comes in very handy when trying to figure out that wireing.
Didn't even get close to the brake issue today. Son in law and DH got both pans up and they look good. I got temporary curtains up as my curtain hardware arrived without the set offs I ordered so I have to make that call tomorrow. The hardware isn't much good without the set offs so that needs to come but it won't be here before we leave so temporary curtains are going to have to work.

I got the curtain up between the sleeping area and kitchen and that turned out well. DH doesn't know if he will get the door between the beds and bathroom done before we leave. Indeed Friday is coming up really fast. I am not sure how we will be able to lurch out of here on Friday ready to go but we will one way or the other.

Tomorrow I have to go to work for a bit but hopefully that won't take too long. I have much too much to do to take much time away. DH wants to know if we should add a deadbolt to the door and wonders if that is a wise idea or not. We worry more about the suicide door flying open as we travel than anyone breaking in. Does anyone have suggestions for deadbolt options or other ideas for our model and year of AS that would work to make certain the door doesn't fly open?

Thanks for all help....we are in the countdown now.
Sandy
Old 07-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #231
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Made it to Tettegouche State Park all in one piece. So far so good! We are CAMPING!! This is great! Slept last night in the Albatross for the first time when we stopped in Fargo for the night. Beds were comfy and it sure felt good to be using what we have spent so much time on!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #232
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Made it to Tettegouche State Park all in one piece. So far so good! We are CAMPING!! This is great! Slept last night in the Albatross for the first time when we stopped in Fargo for the night. Beds were comfy and it sure felt good to be using what we have spent so much time on!
Success! Can't wait to get to that point, have fun!
Old 08-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #233
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Wow talk about progress. Getting the A/C in like that. Must be nice to be relaxing in the park after all that work, huh?

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #234
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Sad but true

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
Wow talk about progress. Getting the A/C in like that. Must be nice to be relaxing in the park after all that work, huh?
We have really liked using this Airstream on the maiden voyage and seems we have attracted some people that like Airstreams too. My daughter and son in law report seeing visitors around the trailer at different times walking around it. Hopefully they were just looking and nothing else!

Good times and now we are headed home eith a quick stop to do some genealogy research along the way wesy.Seems like both sets of our relatives came through MN on their way west. More stories to come.
Sandy
Old 08-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #235
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Next steps

DH has been busy since we returned from the first trip out in the Albatross and has gotten a number of items completed. He got the dinette built and installed, reading lights over each bed and the dinette installed, closet doors on, under the bed storage doors installed, and he did a number of small things that take time and no one would know he did them sort of items.

Two issues we have right now are:
One of the new LED lights he installed over the dinette stays on even when the switch is off on the light. The other one stays off when the switch is off but one stays sort of dimly on. ???

The bigger issue for now is that we don't get water when we have water in the fresh water tank and use the water pump with no city water connection. I tried to check the Forums for possible things we are missing but nothing there seemed to fit unless I didn't find the right thread. The pump runs and the fresh water tank is full but we can't get any water to come out. It worked initially but now doesn't. Hmm???
Sandy
Old 08-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #236
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
The bigger issue for now is that we don't get water when we have water in the fresh water tank and use the water pump with no city water connection. I tried to check the Forums for possible things we are missing but nothing there seemed to fit unless I didn't find the right thread. The pump runs and the fresh water tank is full but we can't get any water to come out. It worked initially but now doesn't. Hmm???
Sandy

Make sure the in and the out water lines are not reversed. If the in and the outs are not reversed, try priming the pump. I use an empty plastic glue bottle.

`
Old 08-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #237
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Quote:
Make sure the in and the out water lines are not reversed. If the in and the outs are not reversed, try priming the pump. I use an empty plastic glue bottle.

`
Thanks Splitrock,
We will try priming it when we get to our campsite. Glad to have your help on these issues.
Sandy
Old 08-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #238
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
DH has been busy since we returned from the first trip out in the Albatross and has gotten a number of items completed. He got the dinette built and installed, reading lights over each bed and the dinette installed, closet doors on, under the bed storage doors installed, and he did a number of small things that take time and no one would know he did them sort of items.

Two issues we have right now are:
One of the new LED lights he installed over the dinette stays on even when the switch is off on the light. The other one stays off when the switch is off but one stays sort of dimly on. ???

Sandy
Did you ever resolve the light issues? Sounds like you could have some stray current from somewhere else or the switch connection is being bridged. Is your 12v system using the shell as a ground or did you also add separate wires?

And good job on the little hidden things which are behind the scenes but still very important!

I'm jealous of your continued resolve and work on the projects.... I've drifted into summer fun mode and taking a renovation project break. :-D

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #239
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Funny you should ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
Did you ever resolve the light issues? Sounds like you could have some stray current from somewhere else or the switch connection is being bridged. Is your 12v system using the shell as a ground or did you also add separate wires?

And good job on the little hidden things which are behind the scenes but still very important!

I'm jealous of your continued resolve and work on the projects.... I've drifted into summer fun mode and taking a renovation project break. :-D
For some odd reason, the one LED light that stayed on when the light switch was off, is now behaving itself. The water tank issue was resolved when DH took the pump off and it went 'Hiss...." so there was a vapor lock or something because it worked the first trip out and not the second.

DH continues to move along on the trailer. He has done what he said he would never do, polishing on a trailer. He got both of the exterior end caps done and they look much better than before. He has the inside front end cap reconstruction started as well and he will continue to work until he decides to return to work after retirement. He keeps getting people calling him to come to work and he keeps saying "No thanks." because he feels he finally found his calling in life, retirement. Too bad I am a number of years away from retirement...unless I happen to win the lottery first.

Amazingly we are headed out again this weekend to a primitive camping site with no water or sewer but does have electricity. A must have as we have a very sick little dog that we are trying to put on the road to recovery. I have spent more sleepless nights checking and worrying about her than I can almost take. We need a camping break by the end of the week just to try to get away. I hope all goes well and we return with good memories and a little dog that is getting better. Keep your fingers crossed.
Sandy
Old 08-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #240
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Another question

When I use the stove, it is difficult to see exactly what is happening when there is only the light directly above the sink. The stove fan and exhaust grill is right above the stove but I would like to somehow add a light if possible that shines directly over the stove. Has anyone done this and how?
Thanks.
Sandy