Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #201
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Hey Sandy,
It is probably a RM 76 or RM 100. I do believe the RM 2820 is a suitable replacement for both of those models.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #202
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Hey Sandy,
It is probably a RM 76 or RM 100. I do believe the RM 2820 is a suitable replacement for both of those models.
I will check that out...thanks for the tip!
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #203
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
More work...headed towards MN lake time

Here are some pictures of the latest bit of work we have completed to date...new bathroom side cabinet, surround by toilet, new mattresses with new covers, and the front end cap progress. Slow but sure.
Sandy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	June 2012 516.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	161889   Click image for larger version

Name:	June 2012 497.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	161890  

Name:	June 2012 529.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	161891   Click image for larger version

Name:	June 2012 531.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	161892  

Old 06-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #204
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Need a stove vent fan motor

DH tried to get the fan motor that vents the stove to operate and it is DOA so where do we get another one? Only about a month to lift off now and I can hardly wait.
Sandy
Old 07-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #205
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
New fan motor, flooring, and fridge

Still working towards our maiden voyage the end of July. We have had our two little granddaughters with us for eight days so didn't get much done on the trailer as we spent time making some memories. DH has been able to get a few things done though. The new Dometic 2820 is in, the Congoleum floor is down, and I have taken some of our camping wares out to start putting away. We have been away from camping for way too long.

We are trying to figure out the layout of the dinette and need to do some searching on the Forums for ideas. I have saved many threads to use as I went through and now have to find where I saved them. Also taking ideas for how to finish off the edge of the flooring to the sides of the trailer. Any thoughts out there?
Sandy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	July 7, 2012 002.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	162612   Click image for larger version

Name:	July 7, 2012 004.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	162613  

Name:	July 7, 2012 006.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	162614   Click image for larger version

Name:	July 7, 2012 003.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	162615  

Old 07-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #206
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Should or shouldn't? Right or wrong?

DH decided to put up the gas light on the side of the cabinet that sits by the fridge without asking me about the right place for it. It's a guy thing. I think it was supposed to go up on the side of the roof locker. Who is right? I have to prove to him that it was supposed to be up higher before he is going to believe me. Where it sits now is a perfect place to get broken because it is about 4' off the floor on the side of the cabinet. Uffda.
Sandy
Old 07-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #207
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan
DH decided to put up the gas light on the side of the cabinet that sits by the fridge without asking me about the right place for it. It's a guy thing. I think it was supposed to go up on the side of the roof locker. Who is right? I have to prove to him that it was supposed to be up higher before he is going to believe me. Where it sits now is a perfect place to get broken because it is about 4' off the floor on the side of the cabinet. Uffda.
Sandy
FWIW, mine was originally on the cabinet wall approximately 2' above the counter on top of the Marvel fridge. This put it just to the left as you walked in the door.

So maybe it's a guy thing ;-)

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #208
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Guy stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
FWIW, mine was originally on the cabinet wall approximately 2' above the counter on top of the Marvel fridge. This put it just to the left as you walked in the door.

So maybe it's a guy thing ;-)
Ours is about 2' lower than that now and if we don't use any furniture, sit on the floor, and don't allow any kids in the trailer, it is perfect. I told DH that maybe he should ask me for my opinion about placement of permanent items BEFORE he puts them up. I think he is getting completely exhausted at this point and has given up on some of this. Can't say I blame him but I would rather he left things out rather than put them up twice. Not trying to be difficult but now we are going to have to move it and put a clock up to cover the hole in the cabinet.

The other good news is that I leave for CA on Saturday and he will be alone for a week. Can't wait to see what he'll have done by the time I get back.
Sandy
Old 07-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #209
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
The Albatross

Greetings Sandy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
Sandy
I haven't had an LP light since our family's Sunway truck camper was replaced by a Buick Sportwagon in 1971, but something I remember very well is the amount of heat that the lamp produced and how hot the glass globe can quickly become. My fear with any location within reach of a child is courting trouble . . . and at 4' off the floor it poses a burn hazard even for adults. My Overlander doesn't have the optional LP light, but when so equipped, it was mounted on the streetside roof locker above the range where it was far out of the regular traffice pattern as possible.

You coach is going to be fantastic . . . the color choices you have made are fantastic!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #210
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
And so I am RIGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings Sandy!

I haven't had an LP light since our family's Sunway truck camper was replaced by a Buick Sportwagon in 1971, but something I remember very well is the amount of heat that the lamp produced and how hot the glass globe can quickly become. My fear with any location within reach of a child is courting trouble . . . and at 4' off the floor it poses a burn hazard even for adults. My Overlander doesn't have the optional LP light, but when so equipped, it was mounted on the streetside roof locker above the range where it was far out of the regular traffice pattern as possible.

You coach is going to be fantastic . . . the color choices you have made are fantastic!

Kevin
Thanks for the compliments Kevin and must give DH 99% of the credit for the good work he has done....minus the propane lamp. If he had put it on the street side roof locker as I thought he would, it would have been far above the area anyone could get into unless they really tried. He isn't going to like the prospect of moving the line and the lamp but I don't see any other option at this point.

Moving on, I do like the grayish purple that we have for the walls and the curtains have turned out okay. We are waiting on another order of hardware for the curtains so I can get the bedroom and bathroom curtains done. It will be fast work because I am home for a few days and then we take off on our maiden voyage to MN. With a properly placed propane light hopefully .
Sandy
Old 07-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #211
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Need bathroom furnace duct register

DH has moved the propane lamp up so that is good. Looks like we are getting a shelf unit where the previous placement was . It is much better now and all is good. Now I need to locate a register for the duct under the tub. I measured it and it is 4.25 by 9.25. I have tried searching for sources with no luck so I turn to the Forums once again. It is with three different fin directions on it; center one points down and the two sides point one left and one right. Help!
Sandy
Old 07-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #212
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Try this

http://www.apiofnhanddeltat.com/link...esidential.pdf

`
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #213
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Greetings Sandy!

Quote:
DH has moved the propane lamp up so that is good. Looks like we are getting a shelf unit where the previous placement was . It is much better now and all is good. Now I need to locate a register for the duct under the tub. I measured it and it is 4.25 by 9.25. I have tried searching for sources with no luck so I turn to the Forums once again. It is with three different fin directions on it; center one points down and the two sides point one left and one right. Help!
Sandy
Another possibility is the unit at this link. I have been considering one of these for the bathroom vent in my Overlander as I don't think these would be as likely corrode as the one that I sourced at the local plumbing supply.

Enjoy your Airstream!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 07-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #214
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Thanks for the lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings Sandy!

Another possibility is the unit at this link. I have been considering one of these for the bathroom vent in my Overlander as I don't think these would be as likely corrode as the one that I sourced at the local plumbing supply.

Enjoy your Airstream!
Kevin
These are some nice looking registers and would be cool to have. Unfortunately the size is too big. I think I may have found one we can retrofit. I will have to see if that plan works out.
Thanks for the lead.
Sandy
Old 07-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #215
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Lamp works and looks great

DH tried out the propane lamp and it works! It looks pretty cool too and puts out some heat. Won't be using it during the summer unless it is a cold day but I love the look of it and it will be nice to have boondocking.

He also got the cabinet made to hold some of the original plastic bins next to the fridge. The fridge is up and cooling and someone has put a six pack of beer in it. I suspect the worker guy on that one. I guess I have to keep a closer eye on the help and monitor the purchases more carefully.

Looks like the air conditioner is shot too which doesn't alarm DH because he is temperature impaired. I, on the other hand, definitely do not like sitting or sleeping all sweaty. So the struggle is on; new air conditioner or not? I don't think we will have time to order one and get it in before we leave but would like some suggestions on replacement choices.

I hope to get more of our camping equipment put away before I take off for CA. There is so much to do before we take off that I hate to be gone but duty calls. I keep telling myself I will be back before too long and will be able to see the progress he makes in a week. Hopefully he is still alive by then and hasn't worked himself into a puddle in this heat. Maybe I can hire a taxi to take me around CA looking at Airstreams for a week? How would I bring one back if I found one.....
Sandy
Old 07-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #216
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
The Albatross

Greetings Sandy!

Quote:
Looks like the air conditioner is shot too which doesn't alarm DH because he is temperature impaired. I, on the other hand, definitely do not like sitting or sleeping all sweaty. So the struggle is on; new air conditioner or not? I don't think we will have time to order one and get it in before we leave but would like some suggestions on replacement choices.

I hope to get more of our camping equipment put away before I take off for CA. There is so much to do before we take off that I hate to be gone but duty calls. I keep telling myself I will be back before too long and will be able to see the progress he makes in a week. Hopefully he is still alive by then and hasn't worked himself into a puddle in this heat. Maybe I can hire a taxi to take me around CA looking at Airstreams for a week? How would I bring one back if I found one.....
Sandy
Something to consider, if the unit is an original Armstrong Bay Breeze is that repairing might be no more expensive than replacing the capacitors (I don't remember whether it takes three or four) . . . they are often the difficulty if the air conditioning compressor does not kick-in. The capacitors are common to household air conditionsers so would likely be available from most any heating and cooling dealer (take the original(s) in for matching. Before my Bay Breezze failed (my fault for trying to operate it on a 15 AMP circuit in the days before the Internet resources were available), all of the capacitors were replaced by a local handyman . . . he recommended replacing all of them rather than just the bad one as an insurance policy that I wouldn't have one of the others fail while on the road miles from familiar repair people. Had I known then what I have learned in the interim, I would have had my nearby A/C repairman replace the compressor . . . and I suspect that unit would still be in use as that repairman has kept my 1961 (yes, 1961) central air conditioning functional and was just outG recently to replace a valve and add a little freon.

Good luck with your project . . . the final details must be delightful as well as stressful.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 07-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #217
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Need cool air....FAST

Thanks for that insight Kevin. We are about two weeks from take off and with no air conditioning, I think DH knows that situation without air conditioning, if it beastly hot, would be like trapping a wild cat in a sack with two weasels. He asked me this am what we should do to get it replaced. Smart man but a little slow to react sometimes.

Having someone around to fix the current air conditioner at this point is next to impossible especially given our timetable. There is such an oversupply of work for anyone here with a pulse that no one would come out to fix it. Trying to get any help on anything right now in central or western ND is about a .00076% possibility and then you are really going to pay and take whatever you get. None of those are pleasant thoughts when it is about the Albatross.

I like the low profile of the Penquin II and it looks like we would need to open the hole in the roof only a quarter inch or so. My question is really a number of questions: Is this model large enough for the 31' of Sovereign and how long does it take to install a new one? Would we be better off making an appt. on our way to MN and stopping at Camping World to get one installed? DH thinks he may not get enough time to get it done in the next 13 days but perhaps they could if we call them now. He is also concerned about letting someone who may not be used to an Airstream up on the roof.

Thoughts?
Sandy
Old 07-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #218
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I removed the old air conditioner myself. My son helped me get it off the roof in one piece. It took longer to get the scaffold and planks set up than to remove the old unit. I used a heat gun to remove the Vulkem from the screws and the flange. I had to cut one screw off. The rest came right out. I didn't change the roof hole. I filled the screw holes with butyl and stainless steel screws. (No leaks in 2 years)

The new AC was lighter than the old one. I got that up there myself with some help from my tractor loader. I framed the opening with some nice untreated wood. I doubt it took me 2 hours to install the new one. I didn't use an inside drain pan. I might do that with the next one . . . I doubt it.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #219
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Good info to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
I removed the old air conditioner myself. My son helped me get it off the roof in one piece. It took longer to get the scaffold and planks set up than to remove the old unit. I used a heat gun to remove the Vulkem from the screws and the flange. I had to cut one screw off. The rest came right out. I didn't change the roof hole. I filled the screw holes with butyl and stainless steel screws. (No leaks in 2 years)

The new AC was lighter than the old one. I got that up there myself with some help from my tractor loader. I framed the opening with some nice untreated wood. I doubt it took me 2 hours to install the new one. I didn't use an inside drain pan. I might do that with the next one . . . I doubt it.
Thanks Splitrock,
I will pass this info to DH back in ND. When I left yesterday it was near 90 and the trailer was still inside the Rookery and it was hot in there. I am hoping he gets something figured out by the time we leave next week. In contrast, the weather here last night was 73 when I got in. Nice break from the heat on the plains.
Sandy
Old 07-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #220
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I installed a DuTherm 13.5. I didn't want to invest in repairs to the original unit. My project is an updating rather than a restoration. I'd maybe go with a 15,000 BTU unit if I had it to do over. The 13,500 unit cools fine to about 90 degrees outside. If I run it overnight, it's too cold in there to work. On the road letting the trailer heat up all day would probably take some time to cool down. In that case, two air conditioners would probably work best.

My air conditioner blog link is:
Air conditioner - Airstream Forums

I bought my unit from this guy:

Duo-Therm R.V. Air Conditioner

I just drove over and picked it up.