RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-02-2012, 11:42 PM   #181
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Thanks Shelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
I cut foam with an electric knife, works fine...

But I'm betting they will custom cut it for you at very little extra and size the covers too!
I was thinking that was the likely way to do it but didn't want to cut it and find I had screwed it up. I can check into the custom cutting too from the source. So many things to do and so little time to do it. The end of July is coming faster and faster.
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #182
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Need new pickup, brake controller, tires, and tow bar

Big expenses coming up with debate swirling about keeping the 1989 Ford 3/4 ton diesel pickup, trading in 2010 Toyota 4 Runner, getting tires for the Albatross, need brake controller, and tow package for above choice of vehicles.

The diesel Ford was his brother's so he is not keen on giving it up. He has put considerable money into it and he has sentimental attachment to it even though his brother is alive and well. Don't have that part figured out yet. It is a regular cab so not so convenient to travel long distances in and with our dog, not so fun either.

Hate to give up the 4 Runner as we both like it and I want to drive it during the winter if I need to instead of my Honda Civic. Don't want two payments to deal with so the debate continues. The 4 Runner pulls the Pacer but not the other two. A big pickup will pull them all but won't be needed all the time.

The tires on the Albatross will have to be replaced before we go further than the tire shop as these are all dry rotted and might not make it the 7 miles into town. That should be sort of straight forward right? Just get tires rated to the load of the camper and contents?

I think the rest of the equipment such as tow bar and brake controller will be matched to the tow vehicle. So we need to decide if we are going to go big or not. This reminds me of when you change the carpet, the drapes don't match. Then the paint is off and the sofa is clashing. Then the rest of the house doesn't go with the new room and on and on.

I would like people to think this over and give me some ideas to consider. I have a strong feeling that we are going to keep the 1989 Ford, and the rest is all up in the air. DH has asked that I get some opinions before we start seriously looking at a new pickup. I would just as soon win the lottery and not have to worry about payments but since I don't buy any tickets, I am guessing I won't be winning any big prizes. Don't have any rich relatives, don't expect a huge pay increase, and have no oil royalties coming in so have to do it on working wages and reality.

Suggestions anyone?
Sandy
Old 06-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #183
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
I was thinking that was the likely way to do it but didn't want to cut it and find I had screwed it up. I can check into the custom cutting too from the source. So many things to do and so little time to do it. The end of July is coming faster and faster.

Sandy
Cut it yourself. In my world, third party vendors make a LOT of mistakes.

Quote:
I would like people to think this over and give me some ideas to consider. I have a strong feeling that we are going to keep the 1989 Ford, and the rest is all up in the air. DH has asked that I get some opinions before we start seriously looking at a new pickup. . . . Suggestions anyone?
Sandy
Pay cash. I never borrow to buy depreciating assets (and almost nothing else either). If I don't have any debt to service, I have choices and the cash really piles up fast. I'm still driving the Chevy pickup I bought new in 1987 (with cash). Add up 25 years of no monthly payments.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #184
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan

Peter,
If we order two twins from this source, we would have to cut them down a bit in width. What did you cut them with? I am not worried about the covers as I can alter those easily enough but want to make sure I can cut the foam down to fit our space a little better.
Sandy
Electric knife works but don't own one, so we used a long, 9" or so, high quality bread knife (don't worry--washed it a lot afterwards).

Trimmed and trimmed the bed to get it perfect, and because it kept expanding little by little, even after 2 weeks of being opened.

The canvas cover hides all the imperfections. Marie is going to trim it down later this summer when we figure out bedding and cushions.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #185
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
Cut it yourself. In my world, third party vendors make a LOT of mistakes.

Pay cash. I never borrow to buy depreciating assets (and almost nothing else either). If I don't have any debt to service, I have choices and the cash really piles up fast. I'm still driving the Chevy pickup I bought new in 1987 (with cash). Add up 25 years of no monthly payments.
I may try doing the mattress trimming myself and if I can fine tune the fit, all the better. I have to order those in the next few weeks so I can cross that off of the list as we get closer to take off.

I would love to be able to pay cash for the new vehicle but the budget isn't going to allow that; if I come up with some wild money making scheme perhaps but not otherwise. It is good advice to pay for things such a vehicles without financing but we won't be able to do that. I drive a 14 year old car and love it but we do need a reliable pick up to haul the Albatross.

On another question, could you snap a couple of photos of the curtain hardware over the middle windows? We have some tracks but none of them fit the previous holes and we are missing one whole set. I need to make sure I know what I am looking for.

Thanks Splitrock!
Sandy
Old 06-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #186
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Trimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
Electric knife works but don't own one, so we used a long, 9" or so, high quality bread knife (don't worry--washed it a lot afterwards).

Trimmed and trimmed the bed to get it perfect, and because it kept expanding little by little, even after 2 weeks of being opened.

The canvas cover hides all the imperfections. Marie is going to trim it down later this summer when we figure out bedding and cushions.
Thanks Peter,

We do own an electric knife so that is taken care of. I have to get my mattress order in pretty soon as July will be here before we know it. Seems like we need to be moving at warp speed and we are just crawling along sometimes. I am still working on the front curtains and would like to have all of the windows covered before we go. I'll have to see if that can happen by the time we take off.

DH redid some of his Pex plumbing tonight as he didn't like the way the fit was within the bathroom. That took all of his time tonight and so we didn't really move forward. Now he says there is a little leak at the bathroom sink that he has to track down too. Goes with the territory.

Thanks for the quick replies to my questions.
Sandy
Old 06-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #187
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
On another question, could you snap a couple of photos of the curtain hardware over the middle windows? We have some tracks but none of them fit the previous holes and we are missing one whole set. I need to make sure I know what I am looking for.

Thanks Splitrock!
Sandy
I don't have any middle windows with curtains, just a bathroom with a shade. The bedroom windows use the same track as the front. It's a "u" channel, uses the "t" tabs. Same as I posted above.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #188
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
I don't have any middle windows with curtains, just a bathroom with a shade. The bedroom windows use the same track as the front. It's a "u" channel, uses the "t" tabs. Same as I posted above.
Thanks and I will be ordering some to put up soon.
Sandy
Old 06-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #189
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Done..sort of

Ordered the mattress yesterday....a queen that I am going to cut into two less than twins for the Albatross. I am going to use our regular turkey electric knife unless I run across one at a garage sale before then. It was $100 cheaper to buy the queen and split it yourself rather than buy the two twins and have them cut down before they are shipped to us. Hopefully these will be good mattresses for the time we are going to spend in them.

Looked at new pickups today. DH really likes the Tundra and he is looking at a new one with the trade in of his 4 Runner. I hate to see the 4 Runner go as I really like that vehicle but it no sense to have two 4 wheel drives on top of the 1989 Ford F250. He has to make up his mind about this one as I have no idea what he should do.

Worked for many hours on cleaning up the roof lockers today. We had intended to ditch them all but the design is rather good overall and we are running out of time to make a lot of changes at this point. He is going to reuse them for now and I am going to paint them up to match the rest of the interior. They are all cleaned up now by intense hand cleaning, scrubbing, rinsing, and drying as we speak.

Also spent a number of hours on the wheels today with the stripping and cleaning. They should be good to go now so when DH wants to take them in to the tire shop to get replaced, I won't have to worry about anything getting on the new tires. I need to start polishing but am putting that off as long as possible.

Tomorrow I will be painting the tambour with spray paint that sticks to plastic and making all of it match to whatever degree I can. I am changing all of the metal finish to aluminum on the metal parts. I see the mirror in the bathroom has a gold finish and I think I might leave that for now anyway. Down the road I might decide to change it over to aluminum finish depending upon my level of tolerance and energy level.

Ordered both t track and g track for the bedroom, kitchen. and bathroom windows yesterday. Should take a week or two to get shipped and then I can get the window curtains done for good. I have my sewing machine in the Rookery inside the Albatross and have been camped out there for awhile, The curtains take longer than a person would think and I would like them to look good when they are done. So many little pieces and parts to take care of.

Big items yet to purchase are the refrigerator and the air conditioner. We have a bid on new tires (10 ply) so will get those in the next couple of weeks. Seems like time is flying by and the end of July is too close. I feel under the gun to get things done asap. The countdown has begun.

On the fun side, I happened to stop at one garage sale on Friday on my way home and got a Featherweight table for $7. It was in rough shape but I have it mostly cleaned up and stripped tonight. I tell myself I can't keep doing all of these multiple jobs at the same time but sure enjoy the time spent fixing things up. Plus a Featherweight table for $7!!
Sandy
Old 06-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #190
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Sounds like lots of great progress Sandy. Congrats on having the major purchases done, but don't forget about all the items for the Pacer....

Just kidding, focus on the Albatross. Trailer by trailer, you'll finish the armada.

I think the roof lockers are great, not sure how much different yours are. Something to do with fitting a cabinet onto a curve that well makes them seem so much nicer.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #191
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Must get second job

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
Sounds like lots of great progress Sandy. Congrats on having the major purchases done, but don't forget about all the items for the Pacer....

Just kidding, focus on the Albatross. Trailer by trailer, you'll finish the armada.

I think the roof lockers are great, not sure how much different yours are. Something to do with fitting a cabinet onto a curve that well makes them seem so much nicer.
Thanks Peter,
It feels like we are moving forward until we see what remains to be done. Every step gets us closer and closer though and that means we will be camping by the end of July even if we don't have the dinette or end caps done.

The roof lockers are interesting with all of the vinyl covering on the walls and these too. Luckily they cleaned up very well and with extensive renovation and painting, they might be okay. We figured if we decide to change them out in the future, we still can.

I am thinking we may both need second jobs by the time we get to the Pacer but hopefully it won't be as expensive as the Albatross. DH wants to name the Pacer the Tender but I am fighting that one. Too many sea tales going on here and I can see another one coming on the 66.
Sandy
Old 06-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #192
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Question on roof locker/bulkhead cushioned material

Does anyone know where to get the trim that goes along the top edges of the wall bulkheads and cushions the roof lockers? It appears to be some off white hard vinyl of some sort. I have looked around but haven't seen it yet or I missed it because I didn't really know what to look for. Thanks for any help anyone can give.
Sandy
Old 06-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #193
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Lot of truck

DH came home last night driving a silver Tundra with rivets on the wheel flares. How fitting. He was checking it out and hitched it up to the Safari and drove around awhile. He didn't hitch it to the Albatross as that is still in pieces at this point and not ready for the road yet.

The truck is so long that it takes every spare inch we have in our garage and that is with making the cat move out of her heated box. She was cranky when he evicted her temporarily. He hasn't made up his mind about the truck yet. He is uncertain if it is as powerful as it needs to be to haul the 31' Albatross and my tendency to haul about everything along and the kitchen sink.

Does anyone tow that size with a 2012 Tundra HD? Recommendations?
Sandy
Old 06-13-2012, 06:12 AM   #194
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Sandy, does it have the 6 cylinder or one of the iPower V8s? Also, does it have the towing package? It looks like the towing capacity of the outfitted Tundra is 8100, which is sufficient for your 31' Sov. If it doesn't have the factory tow package, it drops to 6600 which would probably be pushing it if you brought the kitchen sink.
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #195
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
v 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
Sandy, does it have the 6 cylinder or one of the iPower V8s? Also, does it have the towing package? It looks like the towing capacity of the outfitted Tundra is 8100, which is sufficient for your 31' Sov. If it doesn't have the factory tow package, it drops to 6600 which would probably be pushing it if you brought the kitchen sink.
It has a V8 and the tow package is on there. It is a extended cab with a long box so it is about 21 feet long. Perfect for many things but big too. He is still contemplating and figuring. I am still working on taking less
Sandy
Old 06-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #196
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
New tow vehicle

He did the deed and got a new Tundra with the tow package on it. Silver of course. He is having the extras put on it on Monday and we pick it up on Tuesday after work. It is a nice truck and I hope to see lots of adventures in it hauling the trailers. He went with the regular bed and double cab over the ginormous 21 foot truck. We still have to clean out a few things out of the garage to get it to fit but not quite as much as the long one would have required.

The weekend has a long list of items to complete and he hopes to have the bathroom done by Sunday evening. The end caps will likely be bare except for the foil insulation by the time we leave for our first vacation in 8 years. Hard to tell how far he'll get once he retires the end of this month. Finally some of the other projects around the place might stand a chance of getting done. Who am I kidding? He's going to be knee deep in AS restoration for the next five years.

The roof lockers are done but not installed yet. Still don't know what the cushioned material is underneath the roof lockers that keeps them from rubbing on the wall dividers. Any hints out there? Do I have to improvise as they are unobtainium?
Sandy
Old 06-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #197
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Does anyone know where to get the trim that goes along the top edges of the wall bulkheads and cushions the roof lockers? It appears to be some off white hard vinyl of some sort. I have looked around but haven't seen it yet or I missed it because I didn't really know what to look for. Thanks for any help anyone can give.
Sandy
Sandy Is this somewhat like what you are asking about?
Precision Trim White Car Door Guards "U" Style Edge Molding White Door Edge Trim
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:17 AM   #198
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Sandy Is this somewhat like what you are asking about?
Precision Trim White Car Door Guards "U" Style Edge Molding White Door Edge Trim
Chris,
That sort of looks like it but it has a hard rubber top bead on it. It is sort of degraded at this point so it is hard to tell if it has just deformed into that form or was made like that to begin with. I'll show it to DH and I appreciate that lead.
Sandy
Old 06-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #199
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Too rusty and crusty to read

Does anyone know what model of Dometic refrigerator we have in the Albatross which is 31' long, rear bath? We have the old one but the tags are so rusted and crusted I can't read what it says. I don't know the model number but it is original to the trailer. The opening my DH has made is about 25.25" wide and 57.5" long to accommodate a new one. The old one is untested and does not have any racks in it; it also weighs a ton! Ideas or hints welcome.
Sandy
Old 06-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #200
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I bought a new Dometic RM2820