Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2007, 02:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Sovereign Intelli-power Univolt swap

I just got an Inteli-power 9100, to swap out the Univolt. Anyone that has done this maybe give me a heads up on the install. Is it pretty much plug-n-play? I intend to put it beind th gaucho in the same general area. The loss of weight, better charging and lack of buzzing sound will be great. Thanks

Next we will be getting our gaucho recovered. Can't wait for that upgrade.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Alan, it's a piece of cake except for the fuze block. If your fuzes are currently in a panel that's inside the Univolt, you'll have to either take it out of the univolt and nail it up somehow, or buy a new fuze block--usually about $35. The link below should give you an idea of what needs to be connected to the new fuze block and on which side of the fuze(s) each circuit needs to be. One confusing issue is that the ammeter circuit requires that the battery negative lead not go directly to chasis ground--it has to pass through the copper plate on the fuze block. If you wind up putting in a new fuze block, you can connect the battery negative lead directly to ground (the shell).

If you currently have a separate fuze block, all you do is disconnect the Univolt 12 V plus and minus wires from the fuze block, unplug the Univolt from 110 volt AC nad reverse the process to put the Intellipower in.

There are two connections that might not be available to you with the new Intellipower---the "power on" light and the battery charge/discharge meter. These are items 9 and 10 in figure 13 on this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...ams-38170.html

The "power on" circuit is diode isolated so that only the converter will illuminate the light, not the battery. That way you know the converter is actually "on." You definitely won't be able to make this work if you buy a new fuze block, unless you're able to put the diode in the circuit.

Not having the "power on" circuit or the ammeter won't affect any other part of the 12 VDC system.

Don't get too concerned if your fuze block doesn't look like the one in the other thread. My '77 Safari is way different from this '75 design.

Zep
Old 12-09-2007, 12:39 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Alan, I've done this job on our sovereign, and it's not too bad. The biggest headache was cutting the hardwired univolt out, and installing a 15 amp 3 prong plug for the intellipower, and hauling the old boat anchor, err, univolt out, and putting the new intellipower in the hole. Ours is behind the bathtub, acccessed from inside the curbside closet.
I mounted the fuse panel on the edge of the hole, where I could cover it.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:50 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Ditto what Terry said. My bolts were frozen, so cutting it out was a real pain, being behind the tub. Nice and quiet, and the battery loves it. Should have done mine right after I got the coach. Would have saved me 2 batteries.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
power on

I also switched out the old univolt for the intellipower, and accomplished getting the "power on" light to work by finding the wires for that circuit, and powering it with an AC/DC adaptor, plugged into the outlet that the Intellipower is plugged into. Kind of a round-a-bout way to make a little light work, and would still be on even if the Intellipower blew up. It really just indicates when you're plugged into shore power.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
thanks guys. My old buzzy is on the front right behind the gaucho so its easy to get to. I am getting the gaucho recovered too so I can pull the top of it out and have easier access. I have to check on the fuse panel location.
I don't have a "power on" light now, so all I have done was to flip on the 12v over the sink light and see if it worked when the battery disconnect was open.
Also to this point if the Univolt buzzed it was connected. We had to shut it down at night or my son couldn't sleep well.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 12-10-2007, 01:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Alan,
Give me a hollar if you run into any problems installing that unit.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander
Alan,
Give me a hollar if you run into any problems installing that unit.
I do appreciate that , Randy.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 12-21-2007, 12:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I took out the gaucho today to get it recovered, and I can see I have an a/c outlet in the Univolt and the wires for the above wall mounted fuse box. So as soon as I can get in there it looks like a straightforward set up.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 01-06-2008, 01:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
looking down at my box where the Univolt was... I have an a/c outlet in there, and a split ac type cord with both a female connector and a male.
There are the two black battery cables, and a white cord. I assume the Intellipower plugs into the split cord, one the male of the split cord going into the outlet. The white is the gorund and the other two are the pos and neg for the battery.

Does this sound right? Seems the fuse distribution panel which is above the box on the wall is connected to the white split cord.

all tips are appreciated here.
I am unable to post photos for now, so bear with me on that.

Thanks
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 01-06-2008, 02:23 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Alan, until we get the file thing figured out, can you post your photos on an outside site, and add links here?
Old 01-07-2008, 08:41 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Thanks, should have done that duuuh!!

here it is Picasa Web Albums - Alan - Our AIRSTREAMS
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
so anyone know why I have the split ac cord? Seems like one plug powers the intellipower, the otherlooks to go up to where the fuse panel is.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
My '78 Excella had basically three wires; the pos and neg to the 12v system and the small white wire which is for the 'power on' circuit....and the cord that plugged in to power the Univolt. I saw your photo on Picasa and have no idea what the other wires are for. They look like they were added by a PO.

An idea for you. I turned my Univolt upside down as a template and used 1/2" alum. channel to build a matching frame to hold the Intelepower unit. That box is not weathertight, so I didn't want my IP sitting on the bottom of the box getting wet. It also gets airflow under the unit to aid cooling. Here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Intele-power on Univolt.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	52298  
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:21 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Valley Center , California
I completed the same upgrade to our '84 Sovereign last month and also have a question about the "extra" white wire. I now understand that it is for the AC Power light on the control panel. Does it connect to 12v or 120v for the indicator light?
BogieGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
If you do a search, I remember there's a post from someone who did a detailed explanation on how to restore the 'power on' light's function. They did do a much better job explaining it than I ever could!
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Valley Center , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeakMD
If you do a search, I remember there's a post from someone who did a detailed explanation on how to restore the 'power on' light's function. They did do a much better job explaining it than I ever could!
You're right! I found my answer here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...0-a-24510.html

Thank you!
BogieGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #18
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
white wire

You are right it is for the AC on light on the control panel. Just an idea for everyone... My wife hated that light on all night so I did not connect it back up. Instead I just bought a circuit plug tester from Home Depot and put it into the outlet behind a set of drapes. Not only can I tell when I am plugged in but I can also tell if the grounding and polarity is right. Believe or not but my 1978 had a light that told me when my polarity was wrong. Since they went through the effort before I figured that was a circumstance that actually happended from time to time.
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:56 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
thanks for the idea on raising the unit up off the floor. I noticed the screened vent underneath where the univolt sat, for cooling I guess. There is plenty of room in there so I will try your idea.

As for the ac cord it is split so you can power the unit and something else, just not sure how that part works...I might have to take apart the fuse panel to see where it is going. I guess I could power up the intell. and leave that plug off to see what doesn't work. From another thread I just read, maybe it powers my ceiling vent fans..

So the black cables that go to the fuse panel supply the power for the 12v system and then lead to the battery charging cables--right?
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 01-12-2008, 03:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
got the Inteliipwer installed today. Went quite smoothly. The two black cables bugged me so I swapped out the positve for a red one. Sure is weird after listening to the Univolt for 7 years, to have no sound.
Does anyone who has the IP know how powerful the fan is? I did not hear much fan noise if any.
Made sure it has plenty of "breathing" room for circulation around it.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!