RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #21
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Maybe the tracking systems are the way to go, but wouldn't a savvy thief just not move the trailer until he had found it? Only a few places it can be, right? A five minute search?
There are two limitations of the trackers:
1) The police may not be enthusiastic about helping you recover the trailer
2) By the time you and your band of pistol packing homies show up yourselves the trailer is likely to be out of sight in a secure nonpublic location, possibly indoors
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #22
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
No but if you have a loss that they think was a result of poor judgment it may be difficult or expensive to get coverage in the future.

Angle grinders are loud and shoot sparks and are rarely a tool of choice for thieves who as a rule prefer stealth and like to work under the cover of darkness.

Anything will fall to the grinder in time but with hardened chain or padlocks it will take a while and may require stopping to replace a wheel.
You must know of some much harder steel than I do. And while the bales of the locks are tough, the case is usually something softer. Or held together with rivet heads exposed. Those are geared toward defeating bolt cutters. The one in your photo has a brass case, right?
You could take both chained wheels off and tow it on the spare. We're still talking what, ten minutes?
I made four cuts in that steel with ONE grinding wheel without changing. You can see it in that photo after the first two cuts. I was pointing out that the Denver boot type devices are just made of mild steel tubing, as near as I can tell.

The crook I am talking about is not some guy who drives into an RV park while everyone is sleeping and cranks up a power tool.
The crook you need to worry about is a guy who knows where the trailer is parked when it's stored, and can pick his time to freeing it up. Your best deterrent is witnesses. Park where your nosy neighbors can watch it for you.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #23

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I have an older version of this installed in the trailer we keep at our weekend place...no phone line...power is needed...it will email you when you loose power or when the door is opened...$20+- monthly fee for the wireless service.

Simon XT Premium Wireless Alarm System - Interactive Enabled SIMONXT-PREMIUM
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5MM View Post
We are in the process of purchasing a 1976 Sovereign. Our plan is to remodel the interior and treat it as vacation rental and keep it on a piece of land that is literally less than 1 acre so it will be very visible from the street, etc.

Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions.
Leave a vehicle parked there and put a light inside on a timer. No tresspassing sign and insurance...
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
I have the answer! Get some of those big black vinyl stick on letters and put them on your trailer while unoccupied. Get the following combination: SHERIFF'S DEPT. Mobile Unit
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:22 AM   #26
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
A Jack Russell Terrier and some steroids for him?
Old 04-28-2011, 07:29 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , North Carolina
Really, taking off the wheels on a trailer that is not going to be moved in a while is just too easy, sit it down on blocks, nice and level. "Cannot" be stolen. Anyone who steals this probably deserves to have it, given the work required to move it (buying wheels, etc.)
TinCanLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Having lost a beautiful Airstream to thieves I can add these points:
1. Don't put it where it's shiny aluminum attracts the attention of admirers and thieves
2. Insurance, yes
3. The tongue lock isn't much of a deterrent to real thieves. I'm told s sledge hammer can knock them apart in one blow. There were no broken locks or parts left behind by the thieves.
4. Master lock on hitch easily cut
5. Heavy chain on gate to fenced in area cut
6.Dead battery made electric lift not work, they pulled the cover off it and had a plan to lower the hitch
7.Location behind my building made it easy for thieves to walk up to the fence and see exactly what they would have to deal with to take her.
8. Stolen Sunday night day before Labor Day. Gave then 24+hours to secure it before I would know it was gone.
9.Police don't care
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Boise , Idaho
other ideas

Many great ideas have been presented, focusing on "layered" security, increasing noise and time is the best you can do.

Unless, as a reactionary instead of precautionary measure, you install a number of small weather proof motion detecting/night vision, cameras and run them (wirelessly or wired) to either a hard drive secured to a steel layered strong box bolted/welded to the frame or (for a fee) transmitted and uploaded to a hosting site.(or both)
Friends of mine use this type of operation to watch their cabin. They can log on to the net and view their cabin at anytime. If a sensor is activated the cameras fire for a few seconds and the photos are uploaded to the net (impossible to destroy pictures from the cabin site) They are notified via smartphone email if the cameras have been triggered, then they log in to view what is going on. If the cabin is being burglarized, the local policed are summoned. All this from from 3 states away.

The whole set up with 6 cameras was under 2k and they pay a monthly fee for the website.

Anyone who has done a recent google search or been to a tech fair has seen the amazingly small concealable cameras currently on the market.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
Having lost a beautiful Airstream to thieves I can add these points:
1. Don't put it where it's shiny aluminum attracts the attention of admirers and thieves
2. Insurance, yes
3. The tongue lock isn't much of a deterrent to real thieves. I'm told s sledge hammer can knock them apart in one blow. There were no broken locks or parts left behind by the thieves.
4. Master lock on hitch easily cut
5. Heavy chain on gate to fenced in area cut
6.Dead battery made electric lift not work, they pulled the cover off it and had a plan to lower the hitch
7.Location behind my building made it easy for thieves to walk up to the fence and see exactly what they would have to deal with to take her.
8. Stolen Sunday night day before Labor Day. Gave then 24+hours to secure it before I would know it was gone.
9.Police don't care

OMG, it never actually occured to me that someone would take an entire AS, and then sell it for scrap on top of all that?! I'm glad i came accross this thread, lots of good info for the novice AS owner.

Tags
sovereign