Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Thats some great progress...and some HUGE beads of silicone
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
WOW, looking good and welcome to the forums.. I just went through the same thing and did a shell of in less than two months, but was working on it 7 days a week. not fun after the first 4..

anyway I had the same Por15 experience. stays there for about 2 weeks

In your spare time my experience is here.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f174...8-a-90934.html

good luck again.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:24 AM   #23
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Thanks Vernon, but you do the silicone a diservice by calling it a "bead". It's more of a "rope", or maybe a "log" of silicone. I bought some silicone remover which gets it off fairly well, if you mechanically remove as much as possible first. Downside, it apparently removes the clear coat also, which is in pretty bad shape anyways. I don't want a mirror polish on this thing (wife hates glare, gives her migranes), but I also don't want the uneven matte finish that it currently has. Will have to look into this after getting it roadable.

Jason, two month shell off, you're my new hero. I can't imagine. Planning on reading your thread tonight when I get settled in for the evening. I should have done a shell off on this one, but want to get camping by the third week of October, and just don't think it would have been possible for me to accomplish, unless I took two months off work and put in 16 hour days on Bertha... even then, the delay in waiting for parts to come in, stuff I can't get locally (shimmed butyl, olympic rivets, etc.) might would make me miss that deadline. Looking forward to reading your thread.

And for the record, I don't plan on actually spending $30,000 on this thing. It just seemed like everywhere I looked there was another $1000 worth of stuff to buy. Kind of like putting in our pool, every thing you add is a thousand bucks... "Oh, you want fiber optic lights? $1000. Wait, salt filtration? $1000. Extra 2 feet of concrete slab? $1000." What started out as a 20,000 dollar pool ended up in the high 30's.

I'm still telling myself I'm getting this show on the road for under $5000... we'll see. Not finished, I don't think there is such a thing as finished, just on the road.

-Red
Old 09-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Greenwood , South Carolina
I've already removed, seperated, retinted, and reassembeled my (3) stack windows, they had the c clips. Now I have one of the curved vista view windows out and cannot seem to get the frames apart. I cut the heads off of the small steel rivets and attempted to drill them out, I think they are made of kryptonite . I've got them drilled down enough to clear the frame, I think, but they still won't budge. Anyone have a suggestion?
musicmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:52 AM   #25
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
My Vista Views were assembled exactly like my stacks, with the c-clip. There's a thread I read on here about disassembling your type of VV's... I'll see if I can find it and post a link.
-Red
Old 09-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #26
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The silicone industry's 3rd quarter forecast just dropped several points when they found out you wouldn't be following the PO's lead in sealing those windows.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red
Finally putting the bedroom floor back in Bertha! Also stripping out the silicone and resealing with Vulkem. I know, I know, silicone lasts longer... which is the problem I'm having right now. Just a tip for you, someday somebody else may own your Airstream. Don't do this to them... please!

The rear window awning rail was gooped up like the rest of the windows, except for the holes drilled just under it... go figure, it still leaked. This picture was after stripping out a ton of silicone, and riveting the rail back to the camper. Got a few more leaks to look at. Have some really nice weather in store... May have to loose the Springer for a ride.

On Panama Red's Budweiser Long Neck scale of difficulty, with One Long Neck being slightly harder than talking Bill Clinton into having sex with an intern, and Ten Long Necks being the equivalent of doing a Full Monty, this floor/frame refurb receives a "Seven Long Necks" rating....
That's got to be the most silicone I've ever seen globbed on a window. Good with that,been there done that.
Keep up the good work.
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:57 AM   #28
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
One Month In...

One month ago today I brought the Silver Turd home with me... feels like a year.
I've had a lot of fun working on her though. Get to spend some good time with my dad too.

I think I got myself in serious trouble yesterday though. I bought a new water heater... and then all new fixtures for the kitchen and bathroom, and stuff to redo the bathroom counter and cabinet, and all my PEX stuff to re-plumb the whole thing. Need to hide the bill for all that from the wife somehow.

I believe I have found "The Original Leak", you know, the one that started the whole thing... much like "Original Sin", all bad things that have happened to Bertha originate here. In tearing out the rear walls to get to the bolts that held the floor/frame/body together (I know they have a name, but it escapes me) I found that the whole rear end of this pig has been replaced at some point, and is held on by Olympic rivets... Olympic rivets with NO STINKING VULKEM on them, or in the seam that they hold together. So, I've started drilling out the rivets, starting with the seam I found leaking, which is where a lot of material (expanding foam, silicone, Goop) has been squirted, smeared, and gopped, in an attempt to stop this leak. 60 minutes, around 30 Olympic rivets, and a small amount of Vulkem, and the seam is now riveted tightly together, and sealed.

Also have cleaned up one of my main windows. With all the crap that PO's have done wrong, they did me right on my main windows. Nice shiny new rubber seal in there. Made this job a whole lot easier. I'm not sure why they didn't scrape out all the old tint while they were in there though... Oh well, thanks for the nice seals PO!

I've decided 1974 was the peak of engineering for the Airstream corporation. The creme de la creme, the pinnacle of design, the completeness of evolution, the realization of all that AS ever would be. Show me something they've done better before or since! OK, except for the cheesy interior... it was the '70's after all, and I've got a few pictures of myself from the time period nobody needs to see.

What I'm talking about is the innovation all wrapped together in this work of art known as The Sovereign. My Vista Views and Stacks come apart with c-clips, my main windows pop into two pieces, one holding the glass outer, the other holding the plexi inner... took about an hour to remove, disassemble, clean, re-assemble and re-install. Genius!

And to top it off, they even put a beer holder in the bathroom. Man, those guys at AS think of EVERYTHING!!!

Got the rear walls in this week. Used an insulation that I hope doesn't end up being "The New Pink S***" Then I topped it with some foil bubble wrap insulation, then stuck the walls back up. Then, it rained. You know, I'd have bet anything I'd got all the leaks... that's when the Mother Leak showed up. Think I got her finally. Will know today, it's hammering rain out right now.

Hope ya'll are enjoying the thread as much as I am the rebuild. Hoping to be camping at Beverly Beach Camptown Come third week of October. It's my favorite place in the whole world... just sit and watch the waves and sip a Corona.

-Red
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9-17-12 beerholder.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	361.0 KB
ID:	168614   Click image for larger version

Name:	9-17-12 new pink stuff.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	168615  

Name:	9-17-12 foil.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	364.3 KB
ID:	168616   Click image for larger version

Name:	9-17-12 walls.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	168617  

Name:	9-17-12 olympic leak.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	168618  
Old 09-18-2012, 07:41 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Man you are flying thru the rebuild! It looks great.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
1975 is when gray tanks appeared, could be down hill for AS after that because all the necessary stuff was already in and anything else added was fluff.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #31
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Actually, it was 1973 for the 31-foot Excella, and 1974 for all the others, including Argosy. I -think- it was mandated, to do away with the so-called 'gopher holes'.

Of course, model year doesn't always match manufacturing date...
Old 09-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #32
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
My '74 has a gray tank. Another little bit of AWESOMENESS that is Big Bertha...
Put in the new water heater today and pulled out all the copper. Got in about half of the PEX, but, surprise surprise, I didn't get all the fittings I needed. Bought a nice changeable head PEX crimp tool. Works great, but doesn't fit into tight spaces very well.

Found another leak in the rear. Main seam around rear of shell, the one that holds all the curved end to the main part of the body... waiting on it to quit raining to seal up this one. Have it dripping into a glass right now. I SHALL CONQUER YOU, LEAKS!!! I AM YOUR DADDY!!!

Waiting for the rest of my Polyshim to com in to finish the final two Vista Views and Stacks on street side in the front. Quite a few leaks up there to work on also. Mostly original rivets on the front end though, so hopefully no more seam leaks. Ordering more Olympic rivets today to redo entire rear end. If I were in a movie, I'd be in "The Vulkemnator: Rise of the Riveter"

And thanks for the compliments/encouragement. It is coming along, but still looks like an old camper. Waiting to get finished with floor, leaks, and bathroom before painting. One month to go to make the beach in October...

-Red
Old 09-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #33
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
While you have that ten gallon grey tank out would be a good time to install a larger one. Ten gallons is a shower and a couple of hand washings.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Red,

Very cool trailer! I'm in the process of renovating mine as well.... albeit, a little less work than yours! ; )

You can check out my lady at ismelltexas.wordpress.com

How are your tanks? I'm in the process of reinstalling my blackwater tank. It was removed for a crack, which I am CLOSE to having repaired *fingers crossed*

Great trailer!

https://ismelltexas.wordpress.com
texasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Limestone , Alabama
Red,

Great work and display of an even greater sense of humor that will doubtless lead to a successful completion in the restoration of your Sovereign.

Many thanks for sharing your progress and best wishes going forward.

Steve
war eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #36
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Thanks Steve, and good luck with LSU this weekend. A buddy of mine is an Auburn alumnus, and we were just discussing a little SEC ball this afternoon. I hope ya'll pull one out of the hat this weekend. I'm afraid UF is looking past Kentucky already, and we just aren't good enough to look past anybody this year. Same ol' Gators...

Hey Aage, read your "Henri" thread. I was just in Old Town, Fl today. You got within about 30 miles of my house on that trip through Florida. Man, you bought a sweet trailer compared to what Bertha was...

Texasbound, I haven't checked out the tanks integrity yet... kind of busy with EVERYTHING else. Will definitely test them for leaks before re-installing.

Terry, 10 gallons won't get me to the campground... may have to look into that. My wife is in Africa right now helping out some friends, and when she gets home and see's what I've spent already, I may be in a bit of hot water. There were so many things I was just going to leave alone, but while I got her apart... Got a lot left to do and only a month to get 'er done, well, at least done enough to drag her over to the coast for a few days.

And, Thanks Vernon, but it doesn't feel like "flying" on this end...

Tomorrow, the plumbing gets finished, and I cobble together a bathroom of sorts.

-Red
Old 09-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #37
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Working on the plumbing and the vanity for the bathroom. Was going nuts trying to find the right sink without spending $300... Ended up with a stainless mixing bowl from a local restaurant supply store. Came out a lot nicer than I hoped, and only cost $14.00. Sweetness!

Looking for the right laminate sheet for the vanity top. Saw a slab of granite a few years ago, when we were remodeling our house, that was blue and white and incredibly expensive. Some guy had bought it and was using it for his wet bar by his pool. Looking for a laminate that is close. Trying to keep a "beach" feel through the remodel...

Plumbing going a little slower than I wanted. I keep buying THE WRONG STINKING FITTINGS... stupid PEX...

New water heater is awesome though. Looking forward to showering after a brutal day of sipping Corona's on the beach...

-Red
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9-21-12 Sink.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	421.1 KB
ID:	168787   Click image for larger version

Name:	9-21-12Plumbing.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	168788  

Old 09-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #38
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post

New water heater is awesome though. Looking forward to showering after a brutal day of sipping Corona's on the beach...

-Red
That is truly a tough day. You could always come here and I could take care of that terrible chore of draining those bottles of cold Corona for you. I'm just saying...
Old 09-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #39
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I'm never stingy with my Corona's (Coroni ?), and if you just happened to pull that Sov of yours in next to mine, we'd sit there and admire the waves together whilst partaking of the cold Coronases'... I'm probably not driving up to Carolina just to give you one though. Sorry, call me a tight wad.

I just realized we don't have a beer emoticon on here. I'll see what I can dig up...

Finished plumbing today... pain in the butt. Started putting the bathroom walls back in. Have a few issues to work out. Back at it next week. Taking tomorrow off...

-Red
Old 10-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #40
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
October 1, 2012; Day 43 of captivity...
What cruel hell is this? Every system I repair points out flaws in the next. Grey water tank had a crack at drain outlet. Shower trap was broken and not connected. Fresh water fill line cracked.... the list goes on and on.
On the bright side, I fixed a ton of problems this week. Sorry about the lack of posts lately, but the wife got home from Africa, and between spending a little time with her, and beating my head against the Silver Turd, I just haven't found time to get on and type all this out. Rebuilding grey water tank pan tomorrow and making new support brackets for it. Then it's simply re-installing the toilet, putting bathroom walls back in, tearing out the front floor, welding in new outriggers up-front, putting in new sub-floor... OK, there's quite a bit left to do. Beach trip might be closer to Thanksgiving than late October. Pictures next week.
-Red