Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2014, 12:06 PM   #221
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Taking her down to Blue Springs State Park for Veterans Day. Thanks to all my brothers (and sisters) in arms for your service!

-Red, looking forward to a LOOOONG weekend...
Old 01-02-2015, 07:13 AM   #222
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Resurrecting Big Bertha... or, 'How I spent $30,000 on a $2,000 trailer...'

About a year or so ago, while we were camping at Disney, and renting a golf cart for $3,000,000 a day, my wife (Mrs. Red) thought we should get one to haul around on all our camping trips with us... An idea I loved, except that the back of my truck is mostly full when I go camping already, and the weight of the golf cart was just not doable. So, I started planning and drawing, and after much cutting, welding, cussing, and drinking, I finally finished The Panama Red Campmobile (tm)... Yes, it's cool, no, you can't drive it...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1420207779.189091.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	229669Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1420207798.263852.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	229670

Maiden voyage with the PRC (tm) will be January 8th at Canopener (WOOOOOOOOOT!) Been pedaling this thing all over town this week. Pulled through the McDonald's drive through. They acted like they get two pedal cars a day though there. Hard to faze a McDonald's drive through worker...

-Red, construction photos available upon request...
Old 01-02-2015, 08:43 AM   #223
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Cool bike you have there. Be careful on that thing. Bicycles are dangerous enough on busy streets and what you have is several times wider. Drivers are very distracted these days. Several of my friends have gotten killed or run over on bicycles. I would get some really good blinking LED's to go on the back and an orange flag. Remember your life is worth less than a text message to some some folks.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:06 AM   #224
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
It's mostly for in park use, but we live in a very small town, and the golf cart is rapidly becoming the in-town vehicle of choice. Also, there are a LOT of rails to trails bike paths around here to ride... The tail lights, blinkers, and brake lights are all functional, but a strobing red would probably get more attention. Will have to incorporate that on it for street riding. A few more minor tweaks, and then I've got to get back to working on The LoveStream (tm)...

-Red, trying to get back on track...
Old 01-02-2015, 10:53 AM   #225
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
Wow - I would love the PRC regardless, but I just spent the morning going over the owner's manual for my new little MIG welder, ready to start learning some basics (complete novice). Now you've got me dreaming.

Very cool!

Alan
TennTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:23 AM   #226
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennTex View Post
Wow - I would love the PRC regardless, but I just spent the morning going over the owner's manual for my new little MIG welder, ready to start learning some basics (complete novice). Now you've got me dreaming.

Very cool!

Alan
I'm still trying to get the MIG down... It's all a matter of power setting vs. wire feed speed vs. metal thickness. When it all hits right, it's awesome. Sizzles like bacon frying. When it's wrong, it pops like small firecrackers... I've got a few good looking welds on this thing (very few) and a bunch of ugly ones.

Next one of these I make will have a multi-speed rear end. The gearing I had to go down to to get hill climb and take off makes top end suffer dramatically. You'll rev out at about ten miles an hour... also thinking of a four seater.

I also made the front end six inches wider than I had planned. The first tube I cut was the front end cross member, and I cut it the width I wanted overall... didn't catch it until I had the whole front assy welded together, and just went with it from there. There's definitely no crowding issues with two people.

If you go to build one, PM me. I've got a ton of pictures on this build, and can take pics of anything you'd like to see on it.

-Red, measure once and cut twice...
Old 01-02-2015, 01:10 PM   #227
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Now all you need is two of these...

1000W Electric Bike Kits | E-Bike Conversion Kit?
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:58 PM   #228
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Well, then I wouldn't have to pedal as har.... Wait a second! I think you might be on to something here.

-Red, who can honestly use the exercise...
Old 01-02-2015, 06:14 PM   #229
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Jeez, just think of all the money you're saving! This one's cool too, but the nicest model costs just over $5K.

TerraTrike
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:34 AM   #230
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I've got that $5K one beat to pieces... mine has radio, head and tail lights, brake lights, turn signals, AND it carries my cooler with me everywhere I go. You also sit side by side on mine, so conversation is quite a bit easier. Aoogah horn coming soon.

-Red, king of adding useless crap to bicycles...
Old 01-16-2015, 08:11 AM   #231
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Red - the red-mobile was awesome!

Did you pull it to canopener on a trailer or does it break down for portability?

I'm convinced we need one, just not sure how to tow it.

-Melissa - jealous of Red's awesome bike
Old 01-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #232
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.nolte View Post
Red - the red-mobile was awesome!

Did you pull it to canopener on a trailer or does it break down for portability?

I'm convinced we need one, just not sure how to tow it.

-Melissa - jealous of Red's awesome bike
Don't be jelly! I put it in the back of my truck. front tires up on the tool box, rear end resting on a large black tote that I keep all my excess camping stuff in... I'll post up a pick in a bit. It doesn't fold down, or break apart, or reduce in size in any way.

If ya'll go to build one, I can give you a few ideas. First, don't make the front end so wide it doesn't fit down in the bed of your truck...

-Red, measuring once, cutting twice...
Old 01-16-2015, 11:25 AM   #233
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1421432687.494641.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	230525

And there she sits, in all her glory...

-Red, buggy baby daddy...
Old 01-17-2015, 04:03 PM   #234
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Resurrecting Big Bertha... or, 'How I spent $30,000 on a $2,000 trailer...'

Ok, so we go to Canopener, which I HIGHLY recommend! See how that's in all caps? Yeah, awesome rally... Anyways, as happens every now and again in Florida, it got cold. Cold enough to freeze my water input... Fortunately I woke up to visit the facilities, and noticed that water wasn't coming out when I flushed the old Thetford. Caught it before anything was damaged, loosened the line right at the trailer so it would drip a little, and everything was good. Anyways, it was cold, and guess what wouldn't work. Go ahead, guess... What's that? Did I hear "furnace"? Yeah, the furnace wouldn't light... Fortunately we had a small space heater and just kept it running all night. It almost kept up. We finally closed the door between the hall and kitchen, and it kept half of the trailer toasty.

The other thing that wouldn't work was the oven... Now, at this point I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "hey Red, it's your propane supply." Well, you'd be wrong. Sure, that's right where I went. I mean, what are the odds of two major propane appliances failing at the same time? But they didn't fail at the same time. I just found them at the same time. Had never tried to heat the oven up before, just turned it on to make sure I got a flame, and called it even. Thing heated up to about 150 degrees, which sucks if you're trying to make biscuits for a breakfast potluck. They came out as flat gooey pucks... yum.

So, what was the fix? Furnace was the limit switch. Won't allow the gas solenoid to pick. You can thump it three or four times and it will work for one cycle. Ordered a new one on Amazon for 12 bucks. Sweet!

Oven was a dirty burner. Tiny little flecks of rust had accumulated over the years in there and clogged the burner to the point the flame was kind of wimpy. Tapped it out, thing is flaming now...

So, next Canopener, we WILL be toasty warm, and we WILL have biscuits...

-Red, Mr Fix-it to you...
Old 01-17-2015, 04:07 PM   #235
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1421535955.043595.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	230581

...or, it could be that the Trailer Tiki was not pleased... He doesn't look happy, does he?

-Red, tipping the Tiki...
Old 01-17-2015, 09:31 PM   #236
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
Attachment 230581

...or, it could be that the Trailer Tiki was not pleased... He doesn't look happy, does he?

-Red, tipping the Tiki...
Looks like the Tiki is EMPTY.. That's enough reason to be mad!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:23 PM   #237
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Next time, fill the Tiki with 151 rum and light it. All will be well, unless you spill the rum.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:24 AM   #238
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Thanks for the picture on loading, now I just need to convince the hubs that he really wants to build the bike and figure out how to get it and the fire pit in the back of the truck.

Melissa - thinking I'm gonna need a bigger truck
Old 01-29-2015, 04:02 PM   #239
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
This evening I'm working on the rest of the window screens. Painting the frames, replacing the screen. She's in the barn... I love my barn, especially when The LoveStream (tm) is in it.

-Red, back to work...

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1422572547.905630.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	231352

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 01-29-2015, 05:00 PM   #240
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida