RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-27-2014, 05:58 PM   #201
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I realized yesterday just how bad I suck... I haven't posted on here regularly all year. '14 is getting away from me. Four years left until retirement, and at this rate, I only have to post about eight more times.

I haven't made a trip in Lovey since the blowout. Just bought the new tires last week. I was set on going with the LT's but my tire guy talked me out of it. I went back with E rated ST's. Trip planned in two weeks, new tire monitor will be installed before leaving... I'll keep y'all up to date on the tire saga.

After a relatively cool summer, August hit us like a blast furnace. Hoping it's slightly cooler in a couple weeks when we leave. Going to see a good friend and camp in their yard overnight, talk airplanes, helicopters, and all things that fly, then head out to the beach the next day. Plan on sitting on the beach for two days, play guitar until I can't stand it anymore, drink a few Coronas, then come back home... That's the plan anyways.

Hoping to make Canopener next year.

One gratuitous shot of a The LoveStream opened up and airing out.

-Red

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1409180304.402603.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	877.5 KB
ID:	220027
Old 08-27-2014, 07:32 PM   #202
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Forgot to mention, she turned forty this year. The LoveStream, not the Mrs.... Y'all look for us at Beverly Beach RV Camptown at Flagler Beach on Sept. 9th. Our favorite place on earth.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:48 PM   #203
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Chiefland , Florida
Looking good-your Airstream looks nice and straight, would never guess her real age. I looked up the original owners from the ghost numbers that were on my trailer when I polished her. Found that they purchased her new in 1967 when he was 67 years old (love the internet, you can find Anything!) and I am finishing up the rehab now and I will turn 67 while on the shakedown trip in October out west. I traded in my old wbcci numbers and went back to the ghost numbers, 5953, seemed appropriate, and maybe she will be more comfy traveling down the highway with her real numbers. (There were a total of four different sets of numbers on her over the years, and someone had turned her into a park model) The average people looking at our streamers have no idea how much labor goes into them to keep them from going away. Keep up the good work, will see you on the road! Rolland

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:19 AM   #204
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Hey Rolland, thanks! She photographs well, and looks good from a hundred feet, but when you get up close, there are all sorts of issues. One at a time...

That's pretty cool that you will take yours out at the same age as her PO, and that it's the same year as your age. I wanted to tie some things together with this one like that. Was going to get a 1974 tow vehicle to go with her, but you give up so much going back to a '74 pickup that I just couldn't pull the trigger on a purchase, and 74 years old is still quite a ways off for me, so I can't go that route. Guess I could plug in a few of my old 8-tracks and just pretend it's the seventies again, but that's about as bad as driving a seventies truck.

I'm not real sure why exactly I love this camper the way I do... I had a pop-up from the early sixties that had a real cool vibe to it, but I had no problem at all getting rid of it. Then I bought a 1983 Winnebago Brave that was the cleanest old Winne in every campground we ever went to. Got tons of compliments on that camper... Secret was to keep her waxed. Nobody waxes there camper, so when it gets a little age, they all look like crap. Had no problem at all selling that one though. Then got a square white box ultra light g-whiz pull behind that I could tow with a v-6... An anemic v-6 at that... But that one had leaks and soft spots and I really had no problem getting rid of the fiberglass wonder.

Then I found this derelict Airstream... I honestly thought, with that rounded top, there is no way that thing can leak. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Live and learn. Lots of blood sweat and tears, and she's usable. Nowhere near done, but useable. Clean, dry, and serviceable, as we used to say. And I wouldn't sell her for the world. I've told my kids, whoever gets her when I'm dead is not allowed to sell her, or I'll haunt them the rest of their lives... It's cursed now to stay in our family, and the one who violates that rule, well, it won't go well for them. But I really can't say why I love it so much. I sit and look at her and can't wait for the next trip (which is 8 days from now, WOOOOOOT!). I use her as my man cave, give up my bedroom when family comes to visit, and the wife and I sleep out in The LoveStream, as it's called now, because that weirds my kids out, which is funny. I just pulled the gaucho sofas out, and put the two recliners in, and my 16 year old says, "Where am I going to sleep?" I told her, "At home..." It's just for two now, until we have grands, then I can't wait to ease over to Horseshoe and watch the sun set over the gulf while I teach my grand kids how to catch a crab with a chicken bone and a string... Or take them down to the beach and get them started out on a longboard... Or, the Big One, take them to Ft Wilderness, and watch them light up when they meet Chip and Dale at the campfire...

Hoping my grand kids, when we finally get some, remember their crazy old grandpa, and all the fun they had in that old piece of crap camper he loved so much... My 22 year old is getting married in February, just in time to give me some grand youngins when I retire in four years. I plan on stealing them during the summers, and there won't be a video game in sight. Muwahaha...

-Red
Old 09-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #205
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
All the family came up for the holiday weekend, and I mean ALL the family. Mrs Red and I stayed in The LoveStream and let her sister and brother in law have our room... So, if I tally it up correctly, we've spent a total of 23 nights on board this year.

Heavy storm last night. Got an inch and a half of rain. Couple of drops of water got in... Still have some sealing to do. If a couple dropped in, plenty had to run down the inside the skin. I don't believe it's possible to get one to quit leaking, but I'm sure going to try.

I've had a nasty head cold for about four days now, and have been waking up from not being able to breathe... Was sitting in the recliner last night, cursing stuffed sinuses, when the grandfather of all cockroaches went scurrying across the floor. Down here, we call them "Palmetto Bugs", but everybody knows that's just a polite southern term for "big ass roach". Take your normal little cockroach, make it a dark chocolate brown, increase it's size to two inches, and you have a palmetto bug, or, using the proper Latin, "Tyranaroachicus Giganticus Rex". Using every ninja skill I posses, and my cat like reflexes, I leapt from the recliner and proceeded doing the "cockroach stomp" all the way down the hall, until he disappeared into the bedroom, where my wife was sleeping... I gave it my best, but failed. Not sure if I scared him off, or he died from laughing, but either way he didn't make another appearance. Buying some insecticide today...

Well, gotsta get her ready for a trip next week. See y'all on the road!

-Red
Old 09-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #206
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Signed up for Canopener 2015 yesterday afternoon... I don't know how you guys who signed up in February can stand it. I've only been officially going for less than 24 hours so far, and the anticipation is killing me. I've got plenty of work to do on Lovey between now and then... trying to keep from getting "The Crappiest Refurb In The Rally" award, if they give out something like that.

She truly is a work in progress though... us Red's are pretty famous for taking forever to complete a task, and then just doing a job that makes people go, "Well, that will work, but it sure wasn't the way I'd do it..." Slow But Sloppy, that's my motto. I might at least try to get the majority of the silicone logs off of her before the end of the year... maybe finish the back half of the flooring also. Yeah, now I've got goals!

-Red
Old 09-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #207
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Love reading your posts, you've got a way with words.

We are also signed up for Canopener so you will definitely have some competition for "The Crappiest Refurb In The Rally" award. I see some of these resto posts and it can really give a girl a complex. But that's all right, us Clampetts can hold our own. Bet they'd be amazed what we can do with a roll of duct tape and a paper clip.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:02 PM   #208
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Resurrecting Big Bertha... or, 'How I spent $30,000 on a $2,000 trailer...'

Paper clips??? I better get busy...

Thanks for the compliment. Glad you're enjoying the thread.

-Red

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-09-2014, 03:45 PM   #209
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1410295296.518638.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	678.1 KB
ID:	221348
Sitting at Beverly beach for a few days. New tires and TPMS that I installed this week did very well. Had a LOT of rain this week, and the leaks showed themselves. I'll be working on that when we get home. Did I mention we're signed up for Canopener? Totally stoked! There's so much left to do on this camper, but for the next two days, I'll just be sitting next to this beautiful woman, sipping Corona's, and watching the waves roll...

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1410295508.432469.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	696.8 KB
ID:	221349
-Red
Old 09-09-2014, 05:23 PM   #210
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Chiefland , Florida
Congratulations on a job well done!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #211
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Y'all ever seen this view? If not, it's one you REALLY need to look up... Finally getting around to putting down the sticky tiles. They look alright... Not fantastic, not as good as the laminate oak, but not too bad. Lots to do on this thing before we head out to Canopener.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1411259259.133447.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	709.4 KB
ID:	222409

Well, my Gators got their fannies handed to them by Bama... Roll Tide, we tried our best. Now to turn on the FSU game, and see how they do without Winston. Hoping they smash Clemson.

I'll post up a finished floor when I get done tonight...

-Res

Old 09-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #212
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Res... What the heck is that? Anywhooo, floor is done, except some edges in the bedroom. I have a leak to fix before that gets done. I just can't get this stupid leak. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a rivet somewhere... Duh...

So, floor mostly finished, I tried turning the mattress north south, instead of east west, but a full sized queen just doesn't fit in there very well north south. It JUST fits, but actually takes up more of the bedroom that way. So, it's back east west now.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1411262615.024590.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	692.4 KB
ID:	222411Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1411262634.687140.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	665.3 KB
ID:	222412

-Red, or Res, depends on how big your thumbs are...

Old 10-03-2014, 08:44 AM   #213
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida

Air conditioner (an old Carrier unit) developed a vibration, on high setting, during our last trip. Just got into it this week, and the evaporator squirrel cage blower, a plastic fan around a metal hub, has cracks in it and is wobbling. Pulled the blower fan, and went online to find a replacement... You know, it's not like Carrier didn't make a blue million of these things, right? The replacement fan doesn't exist. I ordered a Lau replacement fan that is slightly bigger, from an obscure website called HVACbrain... who took my order, charged me for UPS rates, and has yet to notify me if it has shipped, or is on back order, or if they're just going to the Bahamas with my 57 bucks. I'll let y'all know how this one turns out...

I've discussed bad dreams I've had about my Airstream on here before. Had another one this week. If you've read this thread at all, you know I blew out my right shoulder in the great skateboarding tragedy of 2012... Major surgery, lots of rehab, WAY too much downtime. Anywhoooo, I dreamt that while I was laid up from the shoulder surgery I asked a friend of mine that does lots of buying and selling of stuff to sell my Airstream for me, and he did. Sold it to a guy in Texas for 2800 dollars... I woke up out of this dream thinking, "Why the heck did I finish all that work on it if I sold it? That was stupid! I've got that much in the axles..." And I lay there for like 15 minutes trying to remember who the guy in Texas was, and how was I going to get either: A - more money out of him before he gets my trailer, or B - the title back from him. I was probably awake a full half hour before I convinced myself that it all WAS just a dream, and that I didn't let Jon sell my trailer.

I'm on a quest to put a drop of Captain Tolleys on every rivet on this thing. Quarter of the way there to date...

-Red
Old 10-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #214
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Ummm, what did you eat for dinner? Or after dinner? Remind me not to eat that! Don't need those bad dreams!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #215
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Italian sausage... And a bourbon or two. It's so rare I have a dream I remember, and now TWO bad ones about my Airstream. Too much Airstream on the brain I guess.

Well, after emailing HVACbrain, asking what was up with my fan order, and I mean RIGHT after emailing them, Mrs Red calls up and tells me FedEx delivered it. Will install tomorrow and let y'all know. It looks good, install will tell.

-Red
Old 10-04-2014, 10:32 AM   #216
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida

Hey crazy Airstreamers! Does your Carrier Air V A/C unit shake, rattle, and roll? Does it sound as if Ricky Ricardo is holding conga lessons on your roof? Are you losing rivets when your A/C is on high? Well, have I got a fix for you!!!

Carrier used a plastic squirrel cage with a metal hub in this unit... May be standard on all of their stuff, I don't know... But what I do know is, instead of the easy fix of removing a dirt dauber nest, as I hoped, my squirrel cage was cracked and wobbling. For those who don't know what a squirrel cage fan is, it's that round fan that blows air into your camper. They're magical and make the air cold somehow.

Anyways, the part number on the original fan is 51CM501514. It's stamped right on the fan hub to make it easy to identify. Carrier wants to make it easy to identify so you go nuts trying to find a fan that is no longer in production. However, thanks to the Googles and an extended lunch break, I found two, count them, two, gentlemen on line that had ordered a fan manufactured by a company called Lau (I'm thinking Chinese) and attested to said fan's worthiness as a replacement.

Well, I just got mine installed, and I'm sitting in quiet coolness in The LoveStream (tm)...

So, if you have Carrier fan #51CM501514, go online to a website called HVACbrain.com, and order a Lau 02048706. It's galvanized instead of plastic, very slightly larger diameter, and about a half inch thicker, and a good bit heavier, but the motor appears to be having no problems with the extra mass and extra blade area. Have been running it on high for a few hours now, without the motor overheating or anything... I'll keep y'all updated on the long term results.

Again, that's HVACbrain.com, part number 02048706. Total cost, shipping and all, was $54.99 'Murican. Oh, one other thing, HVACbrain will send you an email confirming your order, but don't expect any more communication out of them. They never even responded to my follow up email asking if they'd ever shipped my order... They just sent it. No problem, if you can wait a week not knowing.

Keep cool, my friends!

-Red
Old 10-08-2014, 09:18 PM   #217
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Still sealing rivets, and finding new sources for leaks... Found two regular pop rivets right up by the air conditioner while I was replacing the indoor fan blower. Pop rivets, right on top of my trailer. Drilling them out tomorrow and putting a couple Olympics in their place.

Kind of liking this Capt Tolleys stuff. It's pretty apparent which rivets are leaking when you use it. One little drop at the base of the rivet head, and if it all wicks in real quick, bam, there's a leaky one. It's cool to come back thirty minutes later and have one that wicked it up before not wick up any. Pretty sure I got it then...

Finishing up the sealing this week hopefully, then on to removing great globs of silicone... And then, seal up the seams where the great globs of silicone were removed.

-Red
Old 10-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #218
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida

I looked at my "original to the trailer" Airstream owners manual today for the first time. I've got the date of purchase, where it was bought, and the original owners name and address... Pretty cool.

Replaced the screens in the front of the trailer today. Painted the screen frames, installed a nice black fiberglass screen. Man, these things look good.

Replaced the pop rivets I found by the A/C unit with Olympic rivets. Worked on sealing rivets a little bit more. Need to pull her out of the warehouse and wash her a bit...

I need to get this thing out on the road next week. Might take Tuesday off and go camping nearby somewhere...

-Red
Old 10-13-2014, 08:16 AM   #219
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
UZe gotta go try it out....cause you are never "done"
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #220
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Oh, I agree that I'll never be done... I'm already discussing either going back and doing a frame off on this one in a couple of years, or buying the next one and going full Monty on it, while we camp in this one. I just couldn't bring myself to sell this one though. I left part of my soul in that belly pan.

And, I'ze do needs to get her out on the road again. Soon...

-Red