RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #181

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Ah' campin' we will go
Ah' campin' we will go

HiHo is merry O

Ah' camping we will go!!!!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #182
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Yeah buddy!!!
Old 12-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #183
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Chiefland , Florida
Hi Red-am behind you in my project, won't have the axles in till next month-Where are your stabilizers mounted? How are they mounted? Bought a set of used ones, looked under another trailer and think those were mounted wrong-am going to rough install these before putting up the pan-Doing a 67 Sovereign 30' not too far from you in Chiefland, get a lot of stuff at Bobs scrapyard, and from Stan in Newberry, as well as Inland, Vintage, and of course e-bay-Rolland
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #184
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Chiefland , Florida
When drilling the holes in the axle plates and airstream mounts I used a mag base drill with a slug cutter for 5/8", makes life a lot easier if you can get ahold of one. I am a retired millwright, they are used a lot also for putting up steel buildings and structural steel.
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #185
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
FinLly! Now get to enjoying!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #186
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Rolland, I'll post up some pictures of my stabilizers tomorrow. Wish I'd have had a mag drill to cut those holes, but they weren't too bad with the step bit...

And it's off to camping we go!

-Red
Old 12-29-2013, 01:20 AM   #187
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Boulder , Colorado
What an entertaining read! And this from someone who is pretty clueless about the tools you are using or the parts you are fixing. Bought new, and may learn a thing or two as repairs come up, hopefully one at a time! The only parts I could identify in your photos were the couch and the sink (very cool stainless bowl) :-)

Looking forward to pics of the maiden voyage -- have a happy anniversary!

~Keena
Seecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #188
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Thanks Keena. I bet if you maintain yours, you'll never have to worry about most of the repairs I had to do. The majority of these we're the result of neglect.

Got her set up and camping. Been a year since I've been here, but boy did they go up on the price. Probably my last trip here unless something changes. Anyways, she pulled really well with no issues...

I got to get back to the Coronases...
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1388439043.511418.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	202615
Old 12-31-2013, 05:47 PM   #189
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Nice! Looks a little warmer than here currently: -6F right now. That'll make you feel good!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:36 PM   #190

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Warmer than here. Glad y'all are out and camping!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-145098695.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	575.0 KB
ID:	202675  
Old 12-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #191
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
CONGRATULATIONS! What a great and rapid rebuild. I feel like a slacker with my shell still hanging from the gantries after several months.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #192
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Kay, again, BRRRRRRRR!!!! I'll make you and Chris an offer I haven't made anyone else. Hook up the trailer and come finish the winter in Florida. I've got a couple hundred acres you can boondock on, or pull up next to the barn and run an extension cord... I can't stand the thought of having to suffer through below zero temps. Just sayin', if you need to thaw out, come on down. We're freezing our butts off at 60 degrees right now as I type...

Vernon, if you didn't have such an awesome backdrop, a cozy fire, and a Sam Adams in your hand, I might have felt sorry for you... Beautiful spot you got there!

Aviator, don't feel like a slacker! There's so much left to do on this thing it's not funny. I just had to get her out camping, and our anniversary on the beach seemed like the time to do it. The wife and I met at the beach, had our first date at the beach, and I proposed at the beach... Somehow we missed it for our wedding, but I like the anniversaries there. So it seemed fitting for The LoveStream to make her first outing with us to the beach.

I'm still calling it a hundred foot trailer. You need to be back a hundred feet for it to look good...

One other Airstream at the campground. A huge freaking Excella. Those triple axle jobs are looooong. Met the owner for a minute... Nice guy, didn't get his name.

Have had quite a few people stop by and ask what year, etc...

Happy New Year! See y'all on the road!

-Red
Old 01-01-2014, 02:11 PM   #193
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Happy New Year! Thanks for the offer but I don't think we can take you up on it this year... first of all, the trailer is frozen into the snow... then there's the jobs, etc. Someday though! We'll keep in touch!
Cold winters make the summers SOOOO sweet! Fires in the fireplace are nice in the winter too. Gotta have a time to burn up all those trees we've taken down over the years.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #194
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
After that little cold spell, I bet you're saying, "Man, we should have taken Red up on that offer." Hope it thaws out for you guys soon.

Summary of the first trip, and sorry it took so long. I took a brain vacation for the last week...

All four tires blew because the weren't Michelin LTX's, the load distribution hitch came apart because it's a Reese, my tow vehicle flipped in a ditch because it's an F250, and we did it all nude, while listening to a song list comprised solely from the titles in the "Music Association Challenge" thread... Fortunately, I travelled with the propane off, so we didn't burst into flames at the end of it all.

Everything worked great on our first trip out. She pulled beautifully, the new axles and balancers worked like a champ, the only thing that moves around at all was the microwave, which kind of surprised me, as a small condiment tray I left on the countertop didn't budge, keys stayed right where we dropped them, my guitar didn't shift across the floor... The only thing to move was that stupid microwave. I'll be bolting it down before the next trip.

We averaged 11 MPG for the whole trip. Kept the speed at 55 on the money with the cruise control. Didn't want to push her on her first day out on the new axles. Was concerned about alignment/wear issues, but had none at all.

Furnace is the only major appliance I haven't fired up yet. We just used a small ceramic heater, and it kept the trailer very comfortable.
Awesome couple of days at the beach. Mrs Red thoroughly enjoyed the anniversary camping trip. Got to spend a few days with family and some fantastic friends.

Lots of rain the last day. Found a couple leaks I didn't know about. Will be fixing them when the weather clears.

See y'all on the road! Wishing I was at Canopener...

-Red
Old 01-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #195

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Well, luckly your running gear was balanced, otherwise all of the popped rivets would have caused mass chaos with all of the flat tires on the folks behind you.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #196
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Resurrecting Big Bertha... or, 'How I spent $30,000 on a $2,000 trailer...'

It's amazing how time gets away from you. Quick update: spent two weeks living in the LoveStream with the Mrs while we installed a stage and sound system for our church. That was the first two weeks of February. Everything went real well, found out this thing is liveable, but the factory sofas have to go. Those a re incredibly uncomfortable after a couple of fourteen hour days doing carpentry... Yanking them shortly and putting in more flooring and two recliners...

Went to Ft Wilderness during spring break for my youngest daughter. Her and her bestie had a hoot in the park, while Mrs Red and I enjoyed adult beverages in the campground. We went in the park also, just didn't enjoy it as much as I used to... Both she and I worked in the Magic Kingdom back in '81-'82, but everything, including the attitude of the employees, has seemed to change. (It could be that I'm turning into a GOF) Some of them were great, but there just seemed to be a lot of indifference from the majority of the workers we interacted with. That crap wasn't tolerated back when we worked there. You better get your happy on in a hurry, or find someplace else to work. But, all in all, fun trip.

Had my first blowout on the way home. Had 75 PSI cold, tires looked real good, only have about 600 miles on them... They are a few years old, but spent the first two years of their lives off the ground while the trailer was torn apart. Replacing all four, installing a monitor system on them. That's what I get for making fun of the blowouts... Now I get to research tires, yay.

Lots of crap left to do on the camper... Still have plenty of silicone to remove. Anybody wants it, I'll mail it to you.

-Red
Old 04-07-2014, 07:12 AM   #197
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Great Trailer Rebuild - Do It Like Ya' Want It

Red -

You have soooo paralleled my '78 31' Sovereign experience.

Check out post #89 and check out what I did for recliners...

'78 31' Sovereign

Purchased two "wall hugger" recliners and a spacer section from a living room sectional set we found at "Rooms To Go". Take your tape measure and spend the afternoon finding one right for you.

After starting with twin beds, going to an east/west standard queen, then an "all bed" bedroom, then BACK to twins, we now have a solution that everyone is happy with (I hope). Picked up a Queen "shortie" from a salvaged AS. Just enough room to walk around it an make the bed, and it is surprisingly comfortable.

Lived in the trailer while finishing the place at the lake, Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.

And for six months last year while I worked in Houston, and almost two months the first part of this year while working south of San Antonio.

I am certainly glad I persevered through the rebuild, and am now planning summer trips to the Great (Cool) North.

Doing the Utah parks in May and the Albuquerque Balloon Festival in October, then on to Fort Wilderness for Halloween.

So, how close to the $30 Grand figure did you come?

Regards

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #198
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Red get you some 235/75-XL15 tires I have some on my 31 footer and have never had problems. They are car tires. Mine are BF-Goodrich but Michelin makes the same size. I don't think you will have any problems for the next 10 yrs. They are wider and a little taller than the 225/75-R15 tires. I put ST tires on my garbage trailer.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:39 AM   #199
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Hey 87MH, sounds like you've already been where I'm headed... I haven't come close to the 30 grand yet. I'm sitting at around 7,000 in her right now, bit still have a LOT of little things to do. If I were to do her as nice as some on here have, the 30,000'would have been a lowball figure, but I just want her clean, dry, and serviceable. One day I'll be tearing out the kitchen and replacing all the cabinetry, but if it's functioning and I'm camping, I'm happy.

Perry, I'll check into the LT's. Lots on here recommend that, and I was poo-pooing it, until my stinking tire blew. I've only had ST's on my SOB's that I owned, and never had an issue. I want to weigh my trailer next and see where I'm sitting with my load weight and distribution. My dad gave me a TPS monitor setup that he never put on his Mega-Motorhome. Hoping I can avoid this roadside tire change in the future.

It's raining cats and dogs down here right now, so it's leak check time again...

See y'all on the road!

-Red
Old 08-26-2014, 05:07 PM   #200
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Man, how time flies... Getting The LoveStream geared up for the beach in a couple of weeks. Finally pulled the sofas out and re-re-did the laminate floor. Threw in a couple recliners, and we're ready to roll.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1409090760.487927.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	639.0 KB
ID:	219897 Still so much silicone to remove it makes me ill.