RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #41
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyCorpsman View Post
Thanks again, Andy for keeping me in check. I will reconsider doing a shell off floor replacement. I'll talk to one of my Seabee builder friends to help me construct a structure to support the shell. I think, maybe then, that I could pull out the frame from underneath and make applying the POR-15 that much easier and also let me get a good look at all the outriggers and such......and give me MUCH easier access when I replace the axles

For anyone that has did a shell off floor replacement, should three supports on each wall and one on each end cap be enough to support the weight of the shell without warping??
A support at the beginning and end of the side sheet and one near the middle, is all thats needed. You don't need a support for the end shells.

Yes, the shell will show wrinkes, etc, but don't worry about it.

When you set the shell back on the new floor, it will straighten out by itself.

CAUTION: Make super sure, that the chassis is level, before you try to reinstall the shell.

If not, you will lock in all kinds of wrinkles, etc.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:49 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
Subfloor removal

Made some progress today in removing the floor. So far, I'm happy with the look of the frame, although I do have to replace one of the cross members. I've got the front three sections of floor out. Take a look at my blog for some pictures.

'75 31ft Airstream Sovereign

Come check out my restoration progress:
https://crazycorpsman-silverbullet.blogspot.com/
CrzyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:01 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
Just a quick update on my progress for today. Removed, cleaned and re-weatherstripped two windows today and also removed 3 more floor sections. I have about 3 more sections of floor to remove and done with the floor removal.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:14 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Look like you are doing some nice work. Frame sure looks to be in great shape. Looks like you had just as much of a mouse problem as we did if not more. Been nice to get that all cleaned up, the trailer smells so much better now.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:55 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
POR-15 Treatment on the A frame

Finally started the POR-15 treatment on the frame today. I was able to paint the A frame up front and while that dried, I was able to get the fresh water tank out. I couldn't believe the color of the water that came out of that thing. It was quite brown!! While it's out, I'm going to super-chlorinate the tank because who knows what's growing in that thing. The wood underneath it was completely rotted out. I'm surprised that hasn't fallen out by it's own. The entire board underneath it was completely saturated with water, which I believe was from when I emptied the tank. The board had to weigh about 100lbs, or at least that's what it felt like. I've posted pictures of the a frame on my blog.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:15 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
well on your way...keep it up
Old 01-31-2009, 07:16 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Enjoyed your blog. I think you have the record in rat poo, I thought mine was bad. Yuck!!!
Old 02-01-2009, 08:49 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
Bubbles in the POR

OH NO!!!!!!! My POR-15 bubbled overnight. Has anyone ever had this happen? Recounting my steps and re-reading the instructions on the Marine Clean and Metal Ready, I think that I may have forgotten to rinse off the Medal Ready, but could that cause bubbling???

I followed the tip sheet and use the handy dandy hair dryer to dry everything up and there wasn't any wet spots when I started and sponged up any heavy coats of zinc that the Metal Ready left over.

It could also be that the temp dropped rather quickly after I painted it. Didn't expect the temp to drop that much after I painted.

Anyone have any suggestions?? I sure that it's user error. I havn't painted in quite a long time and may have missed a step in the process.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #49
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
I use this por a lot, never saw that,

I never used any metal ready.

I would just sand it down, and top coat it.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:11 AM   #50
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
You aren't supposed to use anything before POR 15. That is the whole point of using POR15. It has to have rust to work on.

I know someone who painted new metal with POR15, against the maker's instructions. Next day the stuff was peeling off in big flakes. You could brush it off with your hand.

If you want to do an elaborate preparation job don't waste your money on POR15.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post
You aren't supposed to use anything before POR 15. That is the whole point of using POR15. It has to have rust to work on.

I know someone who painted new metal with POR15, against the maker's instructions. Next day the stuff was peeling off in big flakes. You could brush it off with your hand.

If you want to do an elaborate preparation job don't waste your money on POR15.
According to the manufacture, POR-15 is a 3 step process. First is "MARINE CLEAN" to clean/degrease; second is "METAL READY" to prep the "bare" metal spots which applies a zinc coating and etches the metal; and third is the actual POR-15 paint. Call me crazy for using manufatures recommendation!!

I'm NOT looking for an elaborate preparation job(far from that), but following MANUFACTURES recommendations for preparing the metal and to have something that will last and not have to worry about. The next section that I end up painting, I will just wire brush and paint to see if I'm getting the same result.

Thanks for the critique!

Old 02-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
The floor is OUT!!!!

All of the sub-floor is out. Discovered one dead rat and three dead mice. Pretty recent by the looks of them. They must have eaten the rat poison that was strategically placed throughout the trailer by the PO. There was another "grainery" on top of the grey water tank and discovered the main entrance point for the rodents.

The smells are slowly dwindling and the end of the gutting is in sight. So far, the frame looks pretty descent with a couple of spots that will need some new metal, but far better than I anticipated. Have a look at my blog for pictures.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:04 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Just when I think I have gotten the last bit of mouse dodo out I find more!!!I was cleaning the stove vent out and all kinds of things feel in my face. At least I haven't found any carcasses !!!The odor is probably coming from the insulation being saturated with rat pee. When I remodeled our old garage into my studio the odor from the insulation was horrible!!!!
Old 02-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
I sure hope that i don't find any more poo!! If I do, somethings really wrong, as all that's left in the trailer is my tools

The odor is definitely coming from the insulation. Now that I have all of the insulation out, I'm going to use some kilz or something of that sorts to clean the inside of the outer skin. I had fun removing the left over, glued on insulation using a wire brush attached to my drill. I wouldn't recommend anyone doing this, as it practically aerosolized the fiberglass. Luckily I was smart enough to wear a mask Had to take a shower immediately following, as I was itching like crazy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danalee View Post
Just when I think I have gotten the last bit of mouse dodo out I find more!!!I was cleaning the stove vent out and all kinds of things feel in my face. At least I haven't found any carcasses !!!The odor is probably coming from the insulation being saturated with rat pee. When I remodeled our old garage into my studio the odor from the insulation was horrible!!!!

Old 02-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
My Gt smelled so much better after all the interior skins were removed an the insulation removed. My wife would not go in it before that.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:45 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post
I've heard that there is an easy way to fix the fridge. Take it out and turn it upside down and leave it that way for 24 hours. Then put it back. People have done this and the fridge worked perfectly. Might be worth a try.
The idea behind this is..to shake the crystal salt up and...some have just hooked up the trailer and, pick a rough road to take it for a short rough drive to shake it up..as well..lol
I can't begin to say how many times this has worked..
Sorta like, use it or lose it..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:24 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
The denial stage is over....the frames coming out

All right!!! I wasn't on a sabbatical, really. I've just been prepping my frame for the new pieces and awaiting my new cross-members.

I've also come to the decision to pop the shell off and pull the frame completely out to ease in the repairs that I'm going to undertake on the frame and ensure that they are done right. I'll be heading out to the local lumber store tomorrow to buy the lumber and start making the braces for the shell. I've been reading up on bracing the shell and will go with the saw-horse design that I've seen in other posts. I'm thinking that 3 "sawhorses" on each side will be enough to hold the shell and I'll run some 4x4's along the length of the inside to hold the braces.

For the braces, I'll be bracing every other rib and securing that down to the 4x4. This might be over-doing it, but I don't want an upside down shell laying in my driveway

I've already received my new outriggers that I ordered from Out-of-Doors mart. I was surprised in how quickly they shipped. Thanks Dan...

One of my Seabee buddies is going to come over and help/teach me to weld the cracks in the frame and reinforce where the cracks are, as well as the outriggers that I have to replace.

I'm hoping to get the frame out this weekend. Suppose to have a 70 degree weekend, so the sun and heat will be a welcomed change.

Otherwise, just been ordering new parts. My kitchen is starting to look like a store room for trailer parts. Here's a list of new things that I've gotten:

- Fantastic Vent Fans (2) One for the front and the back
- New 6 gal. Water Heater
- Outriggers (various)
- Crossmembers (2)
- LED lighting for the interior and exterior
- Progressive Dynamics Power Converter All in one system
- new tail light lens
- lots of rivets
- lots of Vulkem
- cleco's for when I start the interior
- POR-15 for the frame
- Axles (haven't bought yet, but will be soon)
- PEX tubing and fittings for fresh water system
- LOTS OF ELBOW GREASE

There's a bunch more stuff that I've bought, but the list would be quite long if I listed them all out. I'm going to buy new aluminum for the belly skins, as they were pretty corroded and a little mangled from removal (I used brute force to get the mid section off). I'm thinking of getting this through my local Fastenal store, as they said that they can get it within a week. Doe's anyone else know of a good supplier of alum. sheeting?

But that's where I'm at. I was planning on taking my A/S to the Kentucky Rally, but I'll be camping instead. I may try to borrow a friends SOB trailer to go, but haven't decided on that, yet. Don't want to add dullness to all of the shinny trailers that will be there

Old 03-05-2009, 09:27 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
Oh yeah, here's a pic of the crack in my frame...

Old 03-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
Alright. It's off to the local "orange" store to get some lumber and start building my supports. Hopefully it will only take one trip to the store

Old 03-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Mobile By Way Of Atlanta, By Way Of Denver! , Alabama
Hey!
Great blog/record of your adventure! I intended to do some of the things you're doing with my 72 Sovereign but unfortunately life changed and I have now sold my project. I believe the couple I sold it to intends to do what you're doing... they may already be aware of your blog but, if not, I will make sure they can find it...

It's a beautiful day on the Gulf Coast, isn't it? Good luck with your adventure! I look forward to following it!

Shar
Mobeeeeel, AL
72BamaStream is offline   Reply With Quote