Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2003, 09:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Replacing or repairing sliding doors

I have a 31' 1975 Int'l Soverign (rear bath). I need to replace the sliding door between the kitchen and bedroom. I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the railing to install the new door which I bought a Home Depot. The manual doesn't show a removal procedure. I can cut the door to fit, and the door might even fit the rail that's there... BUT I still would need to slide the sliders onto that rail somehow?

Anyone do this before?
THanks
Marc
Marc Marenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 10:29 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Marc,
When we replaced our slider with one from the local home center, the metal rail was held into place in the door jamb with two or three screws up into the top of the jamb. Can you see if that is how yours is put in place?

I did consider using the existing sliders, since they were still in place, but I can't recall now how they attached to the door itself. If you can find a way to attach them to the new door, that might work. But surely the metal rail had a method of attachment...

Let me know what you find, if need be I can take a look at ours and maybe send you a pic or something.
"Mod-Pod" - '77 Argosy Minuet 6.0
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 10:48 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Folding door replacement

Thank you Tamara.
I'll check tomorrow on that but I looked pretty thoroughly. It looks as though (as impossible as it sounds) I'd have to take the cabinets out and supporting structures just to get to the rail in this one. That can't be right but that's how it looks. I like the idea of keeping the sliders. One is broken, but it is possible. Will keep that in mind. I can also simply screw in the slider bar that came with the door we bought into the rail in the airstream but that lowers the door a bit and I think would look a little tacky. There is probably something that someone on our forum knows that I don't that will magically solve my problem. We'll see...
Marc
Marc Marenco is offline   Reply With Quote