Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2003, 04:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question Removing a radio/8-track unit for repair or replacement

The radio/8 track unit built into the living room cabinet of my 1978 31' Sovereign International does not work. I have removed all the screws that hold the facica in which it is mounted. It is loose in the enclosure but I can only move it around about 1/2" to 3/4". There is an 8 track tape storage unit pop riveted to the facica. Can any one tell me how to get this thing the rest of the way out?

I actually would like to replace this with a more modern radio/CD player. Has any one else already made this change? If so, what kind of unit did you select? Was it a "drop-in" replacement?

Also, only one of the two speakers in each end of the trailer appears to be working. Any thoughts on the cause(s) and possible corrections?
lbf78SvgnInt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 04:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
If yours is like the one on my 75, you will need to get at the L brackets on each side that mount the radio to the fold down door. They seem to have rivets to the door but screws to the radio.

What I did was to remove the whole shebang under the credenza. That was only a few screws. Then I could get to the radio. (Anyone need a circa 75 Airstream 8-track in mount or tambour door assemblies for the front divan or over bed?)

You could mount a more modern version in the same place but I am looking at putting it in the overhead. I think I can route the wire bundle up up the wall behind the front roadside speaker. You could also put it underside the credenza and fix up a magazine rack or storage compartment in the space below.

in regards the speakers - sounds like a loose connection, Once you get the radio out you can check.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 05:01 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
When I read this, I thought, some poor soul that has a collection of 8-tracks.

Glad to see you're upgrading!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 08:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
8 track!

I was wondering if maybe I could get a hold your 8 track player? I have been looking for one to put in my Overlander to play all this dinosaur rock I've got stacked up in my closet. An ex-roomate dumped them on me in the late 80's. Is it in decent shape? All the knobs and complete? I might be able to fix it.

Let me know.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 08:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
I am doing the same job on an 87 Sovereign. The unit is a Sony and it is a near perfect fit. I will get you the model, etc. tomorrow and forward.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:21 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
Mustang , Oklahoma
I am removing my 8 track unit as well. It works...if anybody wants it...just pay for shipping.
Also, would like to know who has replaced theirs and with what unit? I'd like one that plays ipods too...
bambid
bambid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I took mine out first thing...thats the last thing I want is the reminder memory of those 'squawling' tapes ha! But once I took it out I carfully taped an bound all the wiring for later use (if needed) and they would not fall back into the wall and get lost...I think the outside antenna comes thru this rear hole too. ..............and now, I am going to go outside and play some cornhole......
Old 07-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
We replaced our 8 track unit with a generic $40 CD/Stereo unit with an aux input for the iPod. Just had to match wires and plug it in. It's now in a cubby near the door, accessible from the outside. Sounds fine.
"I nostri cuori e le menti appartengono al flusso d'aria"
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I removed both the radio and 8-track player from my Sovereign and reinstalled a new Sony AM-FM radio/CD/IPOD player in it's place. I also installed a lighted power switch to eliminate phantom 12v loads when boondocking, and a 12v power point to power my IPOD and recharge phones, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SONYRADIO.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	107042  

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Calgary , Alberta
WHY WHY WHY???? would anyone want to replace their 8-track? With the poor sound, track changes half way through a song. constantly tearing of tape and bulk of the package! The first thing I bought for my '79 was 200+ 8 tracks for $10.00 off craigslist. So if you decide to keep the original equipment I have all the Glenn Campbell and Charlie Pride you might want. Nazareth and KISS too.

They are a great "authentic" feature we thought, so we kept the player and have a selection of classics from the era that we display in the racking and do play, but for our day to day music we have an ipod dock that is wired into the speakers (upgraded) and out of site. That way all of my friends in their 30s' can come and marvel at the old tech.
Loeber is offline   Reply With Quote