RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-13-2004, 07:51 PM   #1

panhandle evacuee needs quick advice

Hello. I'm a fulltimer that, because of my work, I've only had to tow my 72 sovereign a couple of times at a fairly short distance since I've owned it (7 months). But I'm currently in the panhandle of Florida and seriously considering a move by tommorow...
This is probably a stupid question, but I'm not experienced in towing and it's still a little scary for me. Especially since I expect to encounter some winds on the road. Is it ok to tow with the water tank full? Will it affect the balance while driving?
Also, Is it ok for only one propane tank to be full instead of both?

Thanks to any that answer as soon as possible. I'm Looking to leave in the morning.
retrogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 07:59 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

retrogirl

It is OK to tow with water in the tank; trailers are made to handle that. It is also OK to tow with one LP tank empty.

If you take it slow and careful, you will surpise yourself at how easy towing can be. Relax and enjoy the ride.

Rick
Rick Alston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 07:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
The fresh water tanks are typically full. This weight on the hitch is a good thing. The waste tanks should be empty. The propane doesn't matter but should be turned off at the tank. Take your time and check your hookup, safty chains, tire pressure in trailer and tow vehicle. Good luck.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 08:03 PM   #4

Thanks guys. I feel better already!
retrogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 08:30 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
panhandle evacuee needs quick advice

Greetings retrogirl!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrogirl
Hello. I'm a fulltimer that, because of my work, I've only had to tow my 72 sovereign a couple of times at a fairly short distance since I've owned it (7 months). But I'm currently in the panhandle of Florida and seriously considering a move by tommorow...
This is probably a stupid question, but I'm not experienced in towing and it's still a little scary for me. Especially since I expect to encounter some winds on the road. Is it ok to tow with the water tank full? Will it affect the balance while driving?
Also, Is it ok for only one propane tank to be full instead of both?

Thanks to any that answer as soon as possible. I'm Looking to leave in the morning.
I concur with the advice regarding the LP and water tanks. Just thought that I might add a couple of additional ideas for your consideration. Since you will likely be traveling in some rather heavy traffic, you might consider being sure that your fuel tank(s) on your tow vehicle is(are) full prior to hitching up your coach (a busy gas station is not a pleasant place with any RV). Be sure that your rear view mirrors are properly adjusted and clean prior to departing with your coach. Having towed my Overlander in heavy thunderstorms in Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota and South Dakota I can assure you that it is possible but you will want to be prepared to use your trailer brakes if sway becomes an issue - - towing under these conditions as a Free Wheeler can be a little unnerving, but maintaining as much following distance as is reasonably possible as well as keeping speeds reasonable will limit your difficulties with gusty winds (if you are utilizing friction sway control, you may want to tighten up the adjustment a bit if you aren't encountering rain with the wind).

Good luck with your trip!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:23 AM   #6
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Retrogirl,

Should you decided to leave your AS in the path of the hurricane try to remove your awnings. These may be damaged even if they are rolled up. There's probably wisdom in positioning the AS lengthwise against the wind, if that makes sense. Flying debris will likely do the most damage, so if you can park near a natural break like a tall hedge that may help. There's several pics on this forum of Airstreams that got crunched by trees. If you can avoid trees, especially willow oaks and pines, I would advise that.

One of our AS survived 3 hurricane "direct hits" on the NC coast. We were beginning to think there was a bullseye on top somewhere.

Good luck. Hope things turn out ok for you.
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:40 AM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrogirl
My only other concern would be your tires. Make sure you are at proper inflation. I'm not sure where you are towing but I'm assuming you are probably heading to the east, since north and west are probably well into the hurricane potential strike zone. If those tires are old get them changed out. You don't want to be in that evacuation traffic with blown tires.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Yep East looks like the way to go. Valdosta would be far enough looking at current maps and only a couple hour drive. Problem is finding a place that is not full.

Atlanta is going to get it good by the end of the week is my guess and we may have another Opal but might be the place to go. For Frances the opened up the camping area at Atlanta Motor Speedway south of Town and hardly anybody knew it. It was free and they had the bathrooms open as well. Not sure if full hook up was available.

Good luck and if you make it up as Far as Atlanta let us know. Quite a few of us up here and I think TN Sue will be at Redtop Mountain St park this weekend. Think there is a Girls Meet there. Might search her name and drop here a note. Might be a fun weekend.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote