Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2006, 08:19 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Oh No, Mr. Bill. I Have a Fake Sovereign

Much engaged by beckybillrae's discovery that they had an Ersatz Excella, I took a closer look at the data plate on my '76 Sovereign 31' Rear Bath, Twin Beds. Here's what it says:

I31D6 SO898 Date of Manufacture 2-76

Can anyone find the discrepancy?

Need more time?

Hint: I have twin beds.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Ding, Ding, Ding!

Quote:
D=Double, not Twins

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:46 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Some time back I remember reading Silvertwinkie found a McDonalds wrapper under his dinette. Anybody found any beer cans? How about an empty pint? The typesetter must have had a 3 martini lunch back on that cold February day in 1976... who knows maybe the same guy still working there today.

Cheers....
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Hey Shari...

Im glad you're on this evening.
Can you tell me how the "willing to inspect" feature on our profile information is collected, compiled, and made available to others who need inspectors?

It is obvious from the originating post of this thread that I would not be a very reliable inspector, but I'm still curious just the same. I asked Chuck, and he didn't know.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Primarily, there is a list of people willing to inspect Airstreams for others. There is a whole thread that talks about it, that can be found here.

The "Inspector Type" field in the User Profile section I don't believe is currently activated as a data sorter, but can still be helpful. Here's how:
Click on the "Members List" tab at the top of your screen.
Click on the "Search Members" button below the page count.
Click on "Advanced Search"
Enter the "State" you want to find an inspector in (Use Arizona as an example) TYou will also see a selction bubble for Volunteer Inspectors, but this is what I think is not activated currently.
Click 'Search Now"
All the people in that State will show up. Then you can check their individual profiles to see if any of them are volunteers and contact them via email or PM.
Hint: If too many people come up, enter a City & a State to narrow down your search.

I know Andy wants to further develop the data base search features someday....then it shoulod be easier to access this info. In the meantime, I hope this helps.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut

The "Inspector Type" field in the User Profile section I don't believe is currently activated as a data sorter, but ...

I know Andy wants to further develop the data base search features someday....then it shoulod be easier to access this info.
Shari
Thanks for the helpful information, Shari. I hope Andy is someday able to develop this into a searchable data base. For now we can use it as you suggest.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
The Plot Thickens and the Mystery is Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
Some time back I remember reading Silvertwinkie found a McDonalds wrapper under his dinette. Anybody found any beer cans? How about an empty pint? The typesetter must have had a 3 martini lunch back on that cold February day in 1976... who knows maybe the same guy still working there today.

Cheers....
No AZ, it was not a distracted Big Mac stuffing shift worker...

Nor was it a tipsy typesetter...

The clues had been there all the time; swirling, disconnected, hints; odd, out of place items; curious constructions...

The roadside bedroom window installed asymetrically further forward than it should have been...

The absence of the reading light shelves; there should have been one for each twin bed, but there were none...

And finally, the big clue, the home-made, sliding doors beneath the front travel lounge (gaucho) instead of the front tambour door assembly.

When I saw the serial #, all the swirling clues instantly congealed into an immediately recognizable answer. Some "GDPO" had turned the double bed into a bunk and cannibalized the front travel lounge assembly (gaucho) to create its roadside twin.

Is there no limit to what a GDPO will do?
Old 07-21-2006, 09:41 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
Is there no limit to what a GDPO will do?
There is no limit>> The PO probably thought his work and craftsmanship was genius...and now your left scratching your head wondering..wtf. Now the Airstream pictured below was for sale earlier this year... I think it's been modified slightly and it is another 'genius PO' idea that must have failed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	O2BAR.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	23768  
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
GDPOs and Their Works of Artistic Genius...

Quote:
There is no limit>> The PO probably thought his work and craftsmanship was genius...and now your left scratching your head wondering..wtf. Now the Airstream pictured below was for sale earlier this year... I think it's been modified slightly and it is another 'genius PO' idea that must have failed.
Could this be the start of a new, bottomless pit, never ending thread?
Old 07-21-2006, 10:25 AM   #10
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Threads away! Here's my Excella's serial number: E31A9J2526

It has a front gaucho, long roadside credenza, mid bath, rear twin. Under the front left-hand window is an access door that goes nowhere. Open it, and you're looking at the back of interior skin. There's no indication of any damage around the trailer in that area, and I'm the third owner of it. The second PO told me that the original purchaser thought it was originally intended to have an L-shaped couch configuration and then somebody decided they needed a gaucho!

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:37 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
There is no limit>> Now the Airstream pictured below was for sale earlier this year... I think it's been modified slightly and it is another 'genius PO' idea that must have failed.
It is an Airstream Commercial Division trailer. Manufactured pretty much the way it was advertised.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:39 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
Much engaged by beckybillrae's discovery that they had an Ersatz Excella, I took a closer look at the data plate on my '76 Sovereign 31' Rear Bath, Twin Beds. Here's what it says:

Can anyone find the discrepancy?

Need more time?

Hint: I have twin beds.
An Airstream is like a home to some owners.

Some like the home they way it is, and others change irt to suit their life style or preferences.

It could be the original owners love a "double bed", but as they became older, they decided to have separate beds (twins).

We modify Airstream's almost on a everyday basis, from a twin to a double, or from a double to a twin, or from a front lounge to an "L" front lounge, or the reverse.

Some want a rear door for their Center bath model, some want 2 AC's, and some just love it the way it is.

At least with the serial number at hand, you now know how the trailer was originally equipped, when it was born.

You know, just like life. Some are not happy the way they are, and make changes.

Works for Airstreams, too.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:35 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Quote:
Hi AZstreamin,

I am pretty shure that the Trailer was a special product from airstream made for the owner of the Aspen based Oxygenbar. He had a late 60#s Trailer before on Snowmass Mountain and this newer CCD was based on Aspen Mountain. The Trailer on your Picture is now for rent in Germany and was imported by a friend and Airstream Dealer a few week ago. If you want to read the whole story, just click on the link under our Signature and read it on our blog! The copies of the interior plans made by airstream inc. are on the Homepage of Airstream4u.com

Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:40 PM   #14
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi--I took a good look at the serial number on my 1973 27' Overlander today. The first character is "1". I looked real close. It is "1", not "I". The Title also has "1". Does this mean my A/S is an 1nternational?--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank S
Hi--I took a good look at the serial number on my 1973 27' Overlander today. The first character is "1". I looked real close. It is "1", not "I". The Title also has "1". Does this mean my A/S is an 1nternational?--Frank S

Airstream for some reason unknown to fellow man, has used the "1" instead of the "I" for International.

On the other hand, once in a while the serial number plate does indeed say "I".

Sometimes Airstream just continues on with a mistake, again for reasons unknown.

Sometime the "S" that they use looks like a "5" as well as the reverse.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote