Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2015, 10:07 AM   #1

1974 31' Sovereign
Enterprise , Alabama
New owner!

Hi everyone!

I was recommended to register for this forum page because I'm sure I will need all the help I can get!! My husband and I purchased a 1974 airstream last week. As many of you know, it can get very overwhelming, very fast! Everything but the bathroom is gutted. The original stove/oven is still connected because we cannot figure out how to safely disconnect it as I would like to put it back in the AS. Does anyone have any suggestions, advice, etc? We are stuck on the plumbing... and by stuck, my husband thinks he can figure it out but he isn't a plumber. Also, should we replace the "Skin" or the walls on the inside? If we do, what do we replace them with? I know aluminum is an option but that may be too pricey for a 31 foot trailer! I'd love to hear your ideas on the walls. I would personally like to reuse them to save money. Thank you all for the help!
rachellaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:29 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bend , Oregon
Wow that's a mouth full. First what is your budget? I have about $8000.00 in my $3000.00 31 ft AS This is how I spent it. All new plumbing, in pex. Although I saved the shore water connection and valves and the connections at the water tank as they were functional. New HWH, water pump, intell-charger, refer, furnace, cooktop, axles and brakes, awning, bamboo flooring, rock guard, rewired all lights with LED strips, LED running lights, rebuilt windows and new screen material, window curtains, 5 new tires, currently working on 3 oval windows that need to be replaced
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:06 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bend , Oregon
We are considering painting the inside skin.
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
You might enjoy these ...

Gas fittings (as well as water) two wrenches always - one to hold it still the other to loosen or tighten a fitting.
There are plumbing diagrams on the forum, easier to find searching from Google. I replaced all but the hot water heater and pump - pretty easy, lots of YouTubes to get the idea if you need them.
Why replace the interior skins?
Have fun with it!
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:12 AM   #5

1974 31' Sovereign
Enterprise , Alabama
Thanks for the advice!! Our budget is 6-7k$ so your 8k$ makes me feel better knowing I'm not unrealistic in the budget. Thankfully, my father in law does know about plumbing and he got it squared away this pass weekend. I agree with the interior skins.... I got a recommendation to use Zolatone to paint it. Thanks for the advice! I will definitely be watching a lot of YouTube videos!
Old 09-29-2015, 09:14 AM   #6

1974 31' Sovereign
Enterprise , Alabama
How much did your awning cost? We can tell our AS had one but doesn't anymore.