RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-05-2018, 04:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Satellite Beach , Florida
New Axles on '79 Sovereign Anyone?

Needing to put new axles on our 1979 31' Sovereign. We've already gotten quotes from Inland RV and from Airstream Supply. Conveniently, to get quotes from them, all we need to tell them is our year and model. However, there is a local Dexter dealer here that is willing to order and install them for me if I can find out the specifics on the axles. This dealer has replaced axles on airstreams before, however they were much newer models than ours. He is needing to know the starting angle (I understand that's the 22 or 32 degree drop?), frame width, hub face (is this the # of lugs?), and the brake flange.

Does anyone with the same year and model that has ordered axles know these specs? Also, we understand that whether or not to put on the shocks is an option... has anyone NOT put shocks on and can you tell much of a difference?

Thanks all. Just trying to do this in the most economic (and local) way possible.

Looking at potentially doing the work ourselves, and IF we order from Inland RV, picking them up to save the freight costs as there is a Dexter distribution center a little over an hour from us.
suzuz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Well, the "go-to" guy for axles is generally thought to be Colin Hyde. If you haven't talked to him, then you probably should. Seems like there have been forums users that get frustrated trying to contact him, but it's worth a try anyway.

The axles I put on my '73 had a down angle of 22.5 degrees.

As for the measurements, the good news is that you have your original axles to measure from. Talk to your Dexter rep, and make sure you understand what it is you are supposed to be measuring, and then make a drawing and add the dimensions. If all else fails, take your trailer down to the Dexter shop and ask them to take the critical measurements.

As for shocks, there are several threads here that debate whether they are needed or not. You will likely find opinions that they make no difference whatsoever, and that they make all the difference in the world. I guess the way I look at it, Airstream must think they make a difference, or they wouldn't bother installing them, and they could pocket a few more dollars on every trailer.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:28 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Axles

I have just ordered, today, axles from Inland RV, I also got a quote from Dexter in Monticello, GA. Inland had a better price and were very knowledgeable.

Since you posted this more than a month ago, you may have already found the information that you need. If your still in need, I'll share what information I have.

Bill
Keeping Faith
wcronin4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign