RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-09-2010, 05:40 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Hi Aage,
This is the first time I've seen this thread. Great pictures! I love the covers you chose for the sofa-chairs. I think they must look perfect with the orange counter tops (I vote for keeping them, sorry Rhonda). Cool phone too! I'm especially impressed by Henri's outer skins...amazing condition. Thanks for the virtual tour of JC.

Lisa
P.S. We're having a blizzard right now in Saskatoon. It was 18C yesterday, but today it is 1C with 85 km/h winds, gusting to 100 km/h. Wow! I hope our Airstream doesn't get pushed down the driveway. Eek!

https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
Full-time since July 31, 2017
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #82
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Lisa,

Thanks for your comments! And my wife will be pleased to hear that you like the polka-dot covers, too. Did you notice the polka-dot curtains? She made those to match the chair fabric by cutting out and attaching pieces of coloured fabric to white sheers.

Wow, your crew in your avatar are quite a match to each other! But I bet they both love camping, huh?

My daughter lived in The Pas, MB for a while, and once on a trip to visit Saskatoon, she got sick to death of her old Ford Focus breaking down. She told me that her boyfriend (now husband) and she could see the skyline of Sakatoon and vowed that if they ever made it there they would buy a new Honda to get home in. And they did.

Good luck with the blizzard!
Old 04-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #83
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
♫ Wheels on fire, rolling down the road!

I forgot to mention something yesterday, so I will add it here now: before leaving home, we bought a book called "Along Interstate 75" by Dave Hunter. It seems that Dave has spent a good deal of his life driving up and down I75, both to initially write the book, and now, just to keep this marvellous tool up to date. We have the 15th edition, so he must have worn out more than a few tires doing it.

Suffice to say, dear reader, that if you ever plan to take I75, be advised that this book makes things sooo much simpler, fun, and downright interesting that I canNOT recommend it enough, even to those of you who are not newcomers to I75. Google it for a hint as to why. And no, I have no affiliation or connection in any way to Dave or his book.

Anyways, where were we? Oh, yes; we left Jackson Center, right?

Well, we drove and drove and DROVE, through all kinds of pretty country, enjoying the pleasant farmland and fine weather thoroughly.

Ohio clicked by, the flatlands surrounding Jackson Center giving way to the rolling country one sees from around Cincinnati and on south.

Then, over the river into Kentucky, and the green, green grass of, well, Kentucky!

Just after passing the water tower that had “FLORENCE Y’ALL” written on it, the lush rolling hills gradually got back to farm country, and then at Lexington (I75 passes on the east side of Lexington) we began to witness mile after mile of gorgeous, stately Kentucky horse farms. Horses looking quite spoiled, many of them wearing the latest fashions in horse clothing, lined the verdant fields all of them looking down their noses at us.

Then, a little bird told us that just a ways yonder down the road was a dairy selling “The World’s Best Ice Cream”. Both of us being ice cream fanatics, and wanting to verify the bold statement on the sign outside of town, we found ourselves meandering through a cute little place called Mayfield looking for, you guessed it, The Mayfield Dairy. Well, we found it, and I have to say that we agreed with the claim. Yum!

That evening we stayed in Marietta, GA and spent the next day there visiting with one of my brothers and his wife. From the picture of Henri and Ada (TT and TV, remember?) seen below, one might think that we are in some campground far out in the country. Not so: Marietta is a Real Big Place, and right behind Henri was a car dealership, on a big main street, from which one would hear a laconic, bored receptionist on a loudhailer system frequently telling us things like “Ed, please pick up line two”, or “Sales, line three please”. Thankfully they closed after dinner, and left us in peace.

The next day we picked up the pace a bit and got to Navarre, FL, on Florida’s Panhandle. We landed at the end of the day, just in time to catch one of the many gorgeous sunsets we saw from our parking spot in the RV camp, which overlooked the beach. It was kind of romantic: I could sit on the john in the trailer and look out at the ocean. :: sigh ::

More tomorrow…
Old 04-10-2010, 02:08 AM   #84
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
rozenburg , netherlands
Great to read your adventures. Florida is were we go, great to see where we can go to.
qc1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Lisa,

Thanks for your comments! And my wife will be pleased to hear that you like the polka-dot covers, too. Did you notice the polka-dot curtains? She made those to match the chair fabric by cutting out and attaching pieces of coloured fabric to white sheers.

I noticed the cool polka-dot curtains! I thought it was just good luck, but now I'm really impressed.

Wow, your crew in your avatar are quite a match to each other! But I bet they both love camping, huh?

Daisy and Goliath LOVE camping. When the Airstream is in the driveway, we just have to say, "Do you want to go camping?" and they run to the trailer. Goliath is the big boy, named after the dog in the old claymation series "Davey and Goliath". When Daisy came along, she was the wrong sex, so she got the name Daisy instead of Davey. Oh well.

My daughter lived in The Pas, MB for a while, and once on a trip to visit Saskatoon, she got sick to death of her old Ford Focus breaking down. She told me that her boyfriend (now husband) and she could see the skyline of Sakatoon and vowed that if they ever made it there they would buy a new Honda to get home in. And they did.

It's a funny story because you can see the skyline for miles and miles! Your daughter's anticipation of the city must have went on and on. "Are we ever going to get there?"

Good luck with the blizzard!

Wow. It was nasty. Today the wind continued, but no more snow thankfully. Sleet is forecast for Tuesday. Oh goody!

Love your pictures of your trip to Florida!
P. S. I don't think I did the comment and quote right. Hope you can figure it out.
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2010, 11:24 PM   #86
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerama View Post
P. S. I don't think I did the comment and quote right. Hope you can figure it out.
You did fine. Yes, That's right, she did say that they could see the city for many miles in the distance as they approached, kind of like in The Wizard of Oz where Judy Garland and her friends were walking to Emerald City. LOL!

She loves the Honda, by the way. hehehe

I saw your other photo of walking in the blizzard! =:O Wow, some Spring, huh?

Thanks, I do have more photos from that Florida trip, but we're getting closer to our move, so time is becoming more and more precious. I think I can finish it up in one or two more posts.

cheers,
Aage
Old 04-11-2010, 12:53 AM   #87
3 Rivet Member

Roblin , MB.
Hello and greetings from Manitoba

Followed your trip with interest. Great pictures. We missed the Calgary snow. Yesterday there was such a gale force wind here it upset an (empty) aluminum cattle hauler trailer and its tractor into the lake as you come into town. The firemen had to contend with and contain a diesel spill. Very dry presently and needing rain. Look forward to seeing the rest of your picture when you post them.
Bob
nairnchyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #88
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Bob,

Hello there! Say, I read a few of your posts and I see you've been here since 2008, and have the same trailer as I do. Congratulations on a wise choice

How did you ever sort out your issue with the tank re-cert you needed done? Actually, this is the first I've heard of the DOT/TC/CTC question, and will look at my AL tanks (both recently recerted) when I'm there next.

Crazy crazy weather, for late spring. Hopefully it means we're about to have a fantastic summer!
Old 04-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #89
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
So, 'dere we was, on da beach!

And a wonderful beach it was. Navarre is on the Gulf Coastal Plain, in Santa Rosa County of the NW Florida Panhandle. Being on the Plain ensures that the whole area is sandy, and a lot of it is pristine white sand.

You're only 25 miles east of Pensacola, and squarely in the Central Time Zone, so adjust your watches to avoid having the bemused locals chuckling to themselves while you eat lunch at 11:00 AM. Pretty easy to spot the easterners like me.

At the west end of Navarre is a causeway to a spit of land which is mostly the Navarre State Beach Park. It's actually a peninsula, and goes from Destin, FL all the way to just south of Pensacola. Just miles and miles of beautiful white sand, with some pretty wild-looking homes. I'll try to post some of them, remind me if I forget.

We stayed at the Emerald Beach RV Park which we can recommend as clean, tidy, and run by friendly people. I think we paid about US$300 for a week in an upgraded spot, one of eleven actually on the beach side, looking on to the ocean. For a fairly small park, they had lots of permanent and seasonal folks, which tells me that SOMEBODY likes it besdes me!

The only thing that startled us was that several evenings, a nearby Armed Forces Base chose to do gunnery practice after dinner. It stopped well before bedtime, and didn't really go on for too long, but it was plainly audible, like thunder. It seemed to come from the area of the National Guard Base near Destin, but I can't be sure. Hard to criticize that noise, it would be audible anywhere in the area, and of course, is certainly necessary for training.

Here's our spot:

Going down the beach aways, you can see the RV place is well-situated:

Time to play "Find Henri":

Here's the view from inside Henri. It sure was nice to watch the pelicans swooping in and out, then crashing into the ocean to catch their prey, all this while sipping coffee and eating breakfast...

And of course, there's always the local flora and fauna. In fact, that's what I call them now, Flora & Fauna!

Next post: off to fabled Destin Beach, just 40 minutes down the highway...
Old 04-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #90
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Wow ....Very nice park...thanks for sharing the photos. We went to there website and were checking out winter rates.... looks like a great place to winter....Except for Hurricanes and junk..
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #91
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Cool, I guess I never checked out this thread and really didn't realize what it was all about. Good reading Aage. Keep the story going. Luv the Florida pics.

Like you and probably 1,000's of others we did the 401 drive after leaving Can Am and for the 1st time experienced towing the Airstream with the new TV . Lots to smile about!

Feeling the 60% increase in HP over the previous TV took a bit of getting used to. Keeping it from creeping up over 100kph took some concentration.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Great pictures, and thanks for the link to the campground. What a beautiful site you had. I went through the campground pictures, and I think you should send in some of your pictures of Henri. They didn't have any Airstream pictures, and we all know how Airstreams make any picture prettier!
Lisa

Old 04-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #93
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76sovereign View Post
Wow ....Very nice park...thanks for sharing the photos. We went to there website and were checking out winter rates.... looks like a great place to winter....Except for Hurricanes and junk..
Yes, I feel like I discovered another state, going to the Panhandle. It was cooler than the more southern part, but the geography was different, too. No quite so flat as the rest of FL tends to be.

It struck me that it might be a good place to go if I was ever going to spend time in Florida in the late spring or summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
Cool, I guess I never checked out this thread and really didn't realize what it was all about. Good reading Aage. Keep the story going. Luv the Florida pics.

Like you and probably 1,000's of others we did the 401 drive after leaving Can Am and for the 1st time experienced towing the Airstream with the new TV . Lots to smile about!

Feeling the 60% increase in HP over the previous TV took a bit of getting used to. Keeping it from creeping up over 100kph took some concentration.
Yeah, before I had the visit to Can-Am, I was a lot more on the white-knuckle side of things while towing. Once they got it all dialed in, it was a far more comfortable rig to drive. I never really got the urge to go really fast though, it was quite comfortable up to about 110 km/hr for me, so that was the max, but usually stuck to 100 km/hr, especially in Georgia and Kentucky, since there were a lot more radar police active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerama View Post
Great pictures, and thanks for the link to the campground. What a beautiful site you had. I went through the campground pictures, and I think you should send in some of your pictures of Henri. They didn't have any Airstream pictures, and we all know how Airstreams make any picture prettier!
Lisa
Thanks! Say, that's not a bad idea, Lisa, maybe I will send them some shots of Henri. We do need to spread the good word, huh? if more AS owners see an AS on Emerald's website, they might get more business from AS folks...

cheers,
Aage
Old 04-12-2010, 10:38 PM   #94
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I promised a few pictures of the homes on the Navarre State Beach Park part of where we were staying. That’s the part across the causeway and then east of us a bit.

Actually, while we were there, you couldn’t go west on the Park road, it had been buried in sand (again) due to all the storm activity there in 2008. It’s a drop-dead beautiful place, but I guess nowhere is perfect, what with Mother Nature always on the prowl…

Anyways, here are some private homes we saw that looked interesting. Some of them look kinda out of this world, don't they!?

All of them are on stilts, since when there's a storm, it comes in here right off the wide open ocean, so for sure if you have anything at ground level, it will get flooded..

For the most part, the spit is only about a ¼ mile wide, and a lot less in some parts.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:11 PM   #95
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Later in the week that we spent on the Panhandle, we drove down to Destin for a day, and were amazed once again at how beautiful a beach could be. Destin is another small town, but much more up-market than Navarre is, in our opinion.

Not only was the beach immaculately clean, but also the hotels looked bigger and were certainly pricier. The little downtown had quite a spiffy looking assembly of upscale shops and restaurants.

There was free parking and a public entrance to the beach, complete with a large, well-maintained change room and washroom. We hauled our lawn chairs out of the van, and set ourselves up to cook a bit in the bright sun and cool breeze, slathered in SPF50, as all good Northerners do.

Again, more pure white sand, this time it seemed to be as flat as a pool table going out into the water quite a ways before getting deep. Large tide pools held an interesting array of small fish, with some seabirds worrying them.

Once again, the pelicans put on an almost continual show for us as they lethargically ate their way along the shore. They are rather large birds, and seemingly ungainly, but after a short take-off run, are quite able to fly very close to the water at relatively low altitudes to scope out the fish population. But when it was lunchtime, they always gained altitude and did a dive-bomber attack on the water coming in at high speed in a very steep angle, and crash into the water in a mess of wings, beak, and legs.

They almost always came back up with a fish in their luggage compartment, and re-arranged themselves to float serenely on the gentle waves to enjoy eating it.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:21 PM   #96
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I forgot to mention that after spending a pleasant day at Destin, when we got home to Henri, I noticed the floor was soaking wet in the rear bathroom.

I immediately took out the rug (which only sat in there loosely), wiped up the floor, and watched where the water was coming from, my heart in my mouth.

With mixed feelings, it soon became obvious that Henri's water heater had sprung a leak!

Old 04-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #97
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
There are more and more of those houses on stilts along the coasts and I wonder what happens when the storm surge is more than 10'. Or, when another house not on stilts, or some outbuildings, hit the stilts during a storm—then those stilts don't look so strong. What people will do to live on the ocean! It's pretty, but seems to be asking for trouble.

Aage, looks like you've discovered the southern sheriffs who always seem to be looking for the out of state traveler. A radar detector is a must when traveling through those states.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #98
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Well, it's been since last spring since I posted on this thread, and seeing as how this my 3,000th post, it made me think about My Life With Henri again.

First, I left the story dangling with us having a leaking water heater while camping on a beautiful beach in Navarre, FL. To get into fast forward a bit, what happened next was that, luckily, there was a Camping World near us and so I went over to see what they had to replace the original 10 gallon Bowen. What it was, of course, was a 10-gal. Atwood, since Atwood bought Bowen some years ago. And the version I wanted (manual light), LP gas only was on sale for $399! Sadly, none of the CWs in the area had one in stock.

Which meant that I had to chase over to Camping World near Orlando to get one. From Navarre, this was about 450 miles, but luckily, we were actually on our way to The Villages, FL to visit my wife's sister and her husband. The tip to Orlando from The Villages included a bad patch of traffic since the obligatory Florida downpour netted a 3 car pileup on the highway.

But we got it, and headed back north about a week later with an appointment to get it installed at Jackson Center. Not that CW wouldn't do that job, but every time I asked a question of the Service guy, he remembered something else that had to be done in order to install the new WH in my vintage trailer. Little did I know, the installer at Jackson Center (Casper) had a great memory and the bill was a whopper! I will pull together some photos I got in the Service Shop, including shots of an "Airstream" motorcycle, apparently done for them by that famous Harley builder, Jesse James.

We left JC on December 2nd with news of a snowstorm moving up from the south, and it threatened us all the way home, not catching up with us until we had successfully crossed the border into Canada near Kingston, Ontario. By the time we got Henri back to his berth at the camp on December 4th, it was snowing hard and accumulating, so we unhitched, and high-tailed if for home, another 4½ hours away.

Thus endeth the First Voyage of Henri & I.

We lived at that time in Aurora, Ontario (about 40 minutes north of Toronto, Ontario). But when we got home, we were given big news: we were going to become grandparents (for the first time)! We immediately put The Plan into action, and in May of this year, we sold our house in Aurora, and bought one in Ottawa, The Nation's Capital, where our two children live.

So, as a result of that, the summer didn't consist of anything but buying (or making) items that the new baby would need, fixing up the new house to our requirements, plus entertaining various members of my wife's family and our friends at Henri in his wonderful park.

I must find some pictures that show the park, it really is a super place. It's on a relatively small lake, but yet big enough for our pontoon boat, but since about half of the park is shoreline for a very big Provincial Park, and most of the rest is unsuitable for cottages due to very steep shoreline, there are few boats on the park, and NO Seadoos!

Fishing is superb too, so my wife and her family are pleased to sit on the pontoon and chat and fish, while I play captain.

No new work done to Henri this year though, I didn't even get around to installing the 55A Iota I bought, so I got to listen to (hopefully) one last season of the Humming Converter. Next year, I am planning to put in that converter, as well as a new furnace and an LP/electric refer, plus upgrade Henri's décor. While his interior is in surprisingly good shape, it is mostly the original, so of course, it's sadly our of date.

And of course, thoroughly spoil my new grand-daughter.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #99
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Aage, the trip is finally finished. Are you going south again this winter?

We were in Ottawa for several hours in '04 and though we didn't see much of the city except for downtown, Parliament hill and the market, it looked like a nice city.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #100
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hello, Gene!

No, sadly SWMBO has decreed that there will be no "Run To The Sun" this year, due to the impending new baby in our family.

It's a shame really, because now that I know more about what trailering is like on the move, I am less afraid to go further abroad. In fact, when we took Henri out last November, I had deep misgivings about the sheer distance we were going to do on our first sortie.

It's one thing to be twenty miles from home when something Important breaks, another thing entirely when you are two thousand miles from home.

However, I have been informed that the Fall '11 trip is a go, so I am trying to imagine where we should go.

ps: Ottawa is an ideal tourist town in which to spend up to a week. There are walking tours, bus tours, at least three boat tours, and within an hour's drive, some of the prettiest country on God's green acre.

Due to its being the National Capital, it has more museums than one could shake three or four sticks at, and they (we, really; it's Public Money after all) spend money keeping them up to date and beautifully run. Not too crowed either, not like a New York or L.A.

Tags
1974, 31', allure flooring, henri, plumbing, sovereign, rear bathroom, replace