RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-31-2009, 12:50 AM   #61
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Have a great trip and enjoy the sunshine for us.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:54 PM   #62
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
an irritation

So today I was going to install the toilet I bought last week in Kingston, and of course, something irksome had to put a stop to it. Have a look at this photo and tell me what size of pipe they used:

Have you seen copper pipe in 7/16" width? Nope, me neither.

But notice the little crack? Yes, you guessed it: at some point in time it was frozen.

Apparently when the PO decided to remove the toilet, he just crumpled up the pipe instead of putting in a shutoff. This made it impossible to drain properly, and so it froze and burst.

Even where the copper didn't crack, it did stretch. I don't really have the time to replace all the pipe that was part of this connection, so Thursday I'm getting a 7/16" adapter for my new shut-off valve.

Unless any of you know of 7/16" copper piping being used at some time in the past by AS in their trailers...?
Old 11-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
When measuring copper pipe, I believe that you measure the inside diameter. Chances are, you want a 3/8" inside diameter pipe to replace it with.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:34 PM   #64
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Dunno about out west, Cameron, but here my seller uses OD for copper.

Also, I checked with a couple of RV dealers and the pipe is swollen; 3/8" is what they use. All I want is to be able to get away for a month or so, I would really like to be able to deal with this next summer, in the warm breezes, not now, in the cold, cold rain...

I actually may wind up just cutting off a piece of garden hose with the connector for the toilet already on it and then clamping and taping it on, just to get through this trip.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:14 AM   #65
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Aage, I just found this thread and have enjoyed your story about Henri (I was hoping for Urge having read that story almost 40 years ago). Sounds like you've got the trailer that's right for you and are working your way through it methodically.

We're in S. Fla. right now and start for Key West this am, but I think we'll be gone by the time you get here. I hope your trip south is uneventful, though I suspect you'll be learning new things despite all your prep. I'm sure you'll handle it though.

We also push the seasons and many CG's are closed when we travel, but we always find one somewhere.

Have a good trip.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #66
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
When measuring copper pipe, I believe that you measure the inside diameter. Chances are, you want a 3/8" inside diameter pipe to replace it with.
Cameron,
This question stuck in my mind, so when I was at the plumber's (again!) yesterday, I asked for confirmation that copper pipe is quoted in OD.

I was told that flexible copper pipe is the only pipe where OD is used as a measurement. Something to do with the heating/cooling crowd.

It appears that solid copper pipe (and all other metal pipe) is quoted in ID. So, it appears you are right, sorta.

Anyways, I went back to the trayla and had a closer look at the pipe.

Upon closer inspection, I discovered that the water supply for the toilet comes from the water heater, which isn't surprising, given that it's less than a foot away from the commode. Also, it has its own shut-off right there, so there's one new part I can return.

However, I measured the pipe where it comes off the pipe the water heater uses, and, it is 3/8". This means that where is measures 7/16" is has been frozen and expanded. Not good, she could blow again, Cap'n!

So, slight change in plans: I am going to get Roger The Grumbling Plumber (we call him that because it's what he does during most every visit) to visit the trayla to put in a new length of pipe to the toilet, and do it right. He does great work, despite the grumbling.

After all, we strive to improve our Airstreams, right? Right!
Old 11-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #67
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Aage, I just found this thread and have enjoyed your story about Henri (I was hoping for Urge having read that story almost 40 years ago). Sounds like you've got the trailer that's right for you and are working your way through it methodically.

We're in S. Fla. right now and start for Key West this am, but I think we'll be gone by the time you get here. I hope your trip south is uneventful, though I suspect you'll be learning new things despite all your prep. I'm sure you'll handle it though.

We also push the seasons and many CG's are closed when we travel, but we always find one somewhere.

Have a good trip.

Gene

Thanks, Gene! Too bad we're going to pass each other. The DW and I will have a Diet Coke on the rocks to salute you on your trip home.

I was all ready to call the TT "Urge", since we do plan on wandering about, as did "The Merry Pranksters" back in the day, but when the PO told me about his father (the Original Owner) and how fussy he was about the trailer, I decided to name it after him instead. Ken Kesey probably already had dozens of trailers called "Urge" by now anyways..

And yes, "uneventful" is exactly what I want for this trip. We had snowy-hail precipitation yesterday, and that is exactly what I do not wish to drag three tons of metal glass and rubber through next week.

Already had one little "scare": one of the brand new tires developed a not-so-slow leak on the way from Kingston to Aurora, a three hour drive. Since we were in the rain and wind almost all the way home, I didn't stop at all, and was dismayed to find it showing signs of flatness upon reaching home!

So I had my first experience in changing a tire on it, and used my new home-made "adjustable portable bump" to take with us to do this sort of thing. I'll take photos of it tonight and put them up on here.

Turns out it was only the the valve core, and I was on my way home with it in less than ten minutes. Still impressed with the place I got the tires, two of theri offices have showed above and beyond levels of service. It's a Canadian chain called Kal Tire, be sure to check them out iof you need new rubber, you fellow Canadians.

Regarding the closed northern CGs, we plan on taking our thermal sleeping bags, and just catching forty winks at Flying Js or Wal-Marts. We are plan to see if we can get into the Terra Port, as I have the idea of getting them to repair Henri's main door, so this should only be one, maybe two nights.

Up, up and awaaaaay!
Old 11-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #68
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The Terraport was half full or less a week ago and I suspect business is slowing down quite a bit by now. Make an appointment with Rick March, rmarch@airstream.com.

We saw at least 4 Canadian trailers there (3 from Ontario and one from Quebec), so I guess they are stopping on their way south. Since there are 10 times more Americans than Canadians, that would be like 40 American trailers. Does anyone live in Canada in the winter, or are you all in Florida?

Gene
Old 11-04-2009, 11:26 PM   #69
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
As promised, the APB ("adjustable portable bump")

This is used to raise one of the tires so that the other one may be removed, assuming you have dual axles. I don't know if I saw it here, but I probably did. Not like me to invent something.

Made from kiln-fresh 2" X 10" pine lumber, straight from Home Depot, and cut on a 45° angle with my Skil saw.

Holes drilled to fit 2" dowels, so as to maintain the stack integrity while the wheel climbs it, three layers needed to remove a tire, perhaps only two if you want to test brakes, and I plan to use one or two for any needed levelling when on a site.

Note the natty desigin, different on each end, so that the stack can be made the same every time ('cause if you don't, the dowels won't go in!).

ps: Gene, you guessed it, we are about to declare Florida the 11th Province. Only problem is that the Québeckers want their own separate but equal section. (Just joking foks, really!)

Old 11-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
1990 34' Limited
Cape Coral , Florida
Hmmmm. If we give them Miami, would the primary language be French or Spanish?
dieseleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:28 AM   #71
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I like Canadians too much to give them Florida. Let's give it to Venezuela! That'll drive Chávez crazy.

Gene
Old 01-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #72
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Winter siesta — dreaming of Spring

Well, I had occasion to visit Henri a couple of weeks ago, and here he is, doing his "Fortress of Solitude" thing. I was actually visiting him because the DW remembered that she had left a bag of potatoes in one of his cupboards, and we both agreed that he would be better off without that bag than with, especially come the Spring Thaw.

All was well, although he looked kind of forlorn there, sitting in the drifting snow. In the second shot, if you look over the top of his neighbour you can see just a bit of the frozen lake.

Luckily, our lot in the park is on a road that is kept open year-round, so if we can agree on a destination, we will be able to get out fairly early in the season to make a trip.

COME ON, SPRING!

Please ignore the sat antenna at a funny angle in this shot. It's the result of trying to get more particular with his parking than was possible when we got home from the last trip.

I keep meaning to post the story of that trip, but things have become so busy lately, due to an impending move of the household...

Old 01-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
rozenburg , netherlands
great looking AS!
qc1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #74
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I was actually visiting him because the DW remembered that she had left a bag of potatoes in one of his cupboards, and we both agreed that he would be better off without that bag than with, especially come the Spring Thaw.
So what happened with the potatoes? Did they survive freezing?

Gene
Old 01-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #75
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc1500 View Post
great looking AS!
Thanks! Oh, and welcome to airforums.com!

Quote:
So what happened with the potatoes? Did they survive freezing?

Gene
Well, they had a ride back to Toronto from Kingston, where they went straight into the garbage, like the good little frozen rocks they were.

Oh, along with the frozen plastic bottles of water. I wasn't worried about water "turning bad" from freezing, but rather didna trust the thin-skinned plastic bottles it was in.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:10 AM   #76
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Fill-ins for the November Voyage to Florida

Hello there!

I never really finished the story of our trip south to visit the DW's sister and sister's husband in The Villages, FL.

I think the last I talked about it, we were about to leave for Can-Am RV in London, Ontario, to have the final fine-tuning done to Henri (our TT) and Ada (our TV).

Here's Henri and Ada before leaving for Can-Am, parked outside our house after coming home from Kingston, where he had the heavy repair work done that I mentioned earlier.

That done, off we went. The only thing I noticed about the tow to London was that while we were on the 407, a relatively new 4-lane toll-road in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area), there was a rythmic tugging going on in the assembled "train". It was a sort of back and forth motion that I felt certain that the particular surface of the highway (concrete) induced.

And here is a photo of the Can-Am sign planted firmly in Henri's back:

Well, not really, just an unfortunate juxatapositioning.

And here's a shot of yours truly relaxing at a pull-off, somewhere in Michigan. Does the rig make my butt look big??

I think I may have posted this photo before, it's a shot of the first-ever trailer park we used, one that I was surprised was open! It had a number of full-timers there, and I bought a membership in the Good Sam club to offset the camping fees. Later, that turned out to be a Good Move.

Well, that's it for now. Next post is Jackson Center. Funny, i remember why we stopped there on the way back, but not why we stopped there on the way down. Hero worship, I guess.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #77
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
So, we went to Jackson Center on the way down to FL...

We actually went twice; once on the way down to have the tour, stay a night, then load up on goodies in the Wally Byam Store. Then again on the way home, but that's a story for another day...

Artwork on the wall in the sitting area (free coffee and cookies!) was all AS-oriented, of course.

The tour was given to us by Don, a gentleman that you have doubtless met, if you have ever taken the tour. He is retired, and I believe he told us that he started at the JC plant in the '60s. He clearly knew just about anything to do with the manufacturing that anybody could know, and was a fun guide. Sadly, NO cameras allowed. Nope, not at all!

After Don's tour, where he gave us advice on a particular type of caulking with a very good applicatior (sold as a separate part) we bought it and also took advantage of a sale in the store they had on saftey accessories, comprised of three different fire extinguishers. If we burn to death, you can be sure it won't be MY fault! I marvelled at the depth of the little accessories there, and bought, for no good reason, bags of the white, off-white, and brown rivets.

The only thing I did that bugged me in that JC visit was that I forgot to get the password for the wirelss internet, which was included free, but required it. We were the only ones camping that night, so it was early to bed, early to rise.

We saw three antique trailers out front of the Customer Service Center that I am sure many of you will know, but one caught my eye in that it had TWO doors (with door-within-a-door!!), one each front and rear! Wowsa.

Out back, we saw a Bambi that had plainly rolled. It looked like some giant had played basketball with it. Glad it wasn't mine.

The service shop was packed! In contrast, the plant looked quiet. We ate lunch at the restaurant next door, which looked like it had had a brand new thorough going-over in about 1965. Not much of a gourmet city, is Jackson Center, but the folks is mighty frennly!

Well, that's it for today. Just let it be said that a good time was had by all, including Henri and Ada!
Old 04-08-2010, 05:58 AM   #78
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
1990 34' Limited
Cape Coral , Florida
Thanks a lot for sharing. For those of us who have not yet been able to make the pilgrimage its a terrific virtual tour.
dieseleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #79
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We've been to JC 3 times and each time there are a different number of vintage trailers out in front. Sometimes you can find some of the ones that were in front the last time in the back plus some ones out back that you haven't seen (or remember).

They are always locked and a tour of the insides would be a treat. Next time we're there I'll have to ask for one.

Aage, are there more photos? Spring seems to be here and I'm itching to get on the road but not sure we can until late May. Has spring come to Ontario?

Gene
Old 04-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #80
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseleagle View Post
Thanks a lot for sharing. For those of us who have not yet been able to make the pilgrimage its a terrific virtual tour.
Thanks, dieseleagle. It certainly is a fun place to tour if you're an Airstream aficionado.

Quote:
We've been to JC 3 times and each time there are a different number of vintage trailers out in front. Sometimes you can find some of the ones that were in front the last time in the back plus some ones out back that you haven't seen (or remember).

They are always locked and a tour of the insides would be a treat. Next time we're there I'll have to ask for one.

Aage, are there more photos? Spring seems to be here and I'm itching to get on the road but not sure we can until late May. Has spring come to Ontario?

Gene
Hi, Gene. Yeah, I know what you mean.

There's another day we spend at JC on the way back home (photos coming soon), and that's when it struck me; people make trips there from all over, with every type of AS, old to new, for one reason: to preserve their "babies"!

I was certainly puzzled over the AS with two doors that sat right in front of the Customer Service building. I wondered why they did that. It must use up valuable space inside...

As for the weather, we went from almost a week of 25°C (77F) last week to today: overcast and 2°C (35.6F)! You really can't count on having reliably warm weather here in Ontario till the last half of May, Gene. I'll lie and tell you something else if you like, but that's the way it is, really.

At least the snow is gone, unlike Calgary that just got pasted again yesterday!

Tags
1974, 31', allure flooring, henri, plumbing, sovereign, rear bathroom, replace