RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-11-2009, 05:17 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
Congratulations on your new AS, Aage! That really looks well kept!
And you were wise to walk away from the TV. What you described indicated some serious problems.... plus other things going on when you went to look at it. Smart move!
Steven
StevenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:54 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Aage,

What a beautifull coach. It has the same layout as Bertha, our 31ft 74.

I hope you have as much fun and good luck with yours as we did, (and will have with ours when repairs are done).

The storage in them is awsome! We took the furnace out from under the stove, and put shelves in and have considerable more storage for the kitchen.

Marie
Old 04-11-2009, 11:15 PM   #23
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabLover View Post
That panel is 29" at the top of that microwave and is 26" at the top of the panel. The wall slants into the trailer. My 26" Sony Bravia "2007" which I had brought to be installed there measure 26" accrossed side to side. It will fit nicely. The speakers are on the bottom. Anything larger will stick out a bit. By the way my Sony HD LCD TV has almost no emittance out the back or front only some on the top. Most HD LCD TVs have low heat issues. Plasmas TVs are very hot. As far as the TV brackets most will move from side to side, in and out, swivel up and down. But not raise up and down. I could watch it from the kitchen as well. It will swing around 180 degrees.

I also use this as my computer monitor.
Thanks, that's great info. I didn't think it was that big a space, and like Rhonda, I'll probably go with a 22" or maybe 20" just because I'm such a cheapskate.

By swivel up and down, I didn't mean to lower the set, but rather to be able to tilt it down towards us for better viewing. Being able to flip it around the corner would be nice too, but now I'm thinking that kind of bracket might be Muchos $pendidos. I found a simple one for $15 that has 5° up and 15° down, but no left to right, but maybe I'm being TOO cheapskatish.

We were lucky that the PO left his satellite dish, so we are hopeful that all we have to do is to bring one of the satellite receivers we have here at home down there, and be able to just connect it up. Never thought of using it for the laptop, great idea!
Old 04-11-2009, 11:26 PM   #24
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
StevenG, sd90mac,

Thanks for the compliments. I'll be much more comfortable once we actually have it roadworthy, though. I'm fully expecting that it has rear separation/sag, and will only know for sure once I get new tires on it so I can check that out. Heck, it will be a gift if we DON'T have it, from what I've read on here.

Yeah, the storage is aces, and I love the layout. In another month I'll find out the state of the appliances in detail. The PO used them all, even the AC, and claims they all work. He and his wife being ministers makes me believe him, so we'll see how well he remembered it all.

I started reading the Service Manual and the Owner's Manual, and I'm happy with the level of detail they give on everything. I didn't know that a microwave was an option back then! A beast of one, of course, from the manuals, it looks like one of those 50 pounders.

Anyway, the manner this experience is all rolling out suits me fine. I get a chance to soak up more information specific to my TT before I actually lay a finger on it, which is very likely a Good Thing, as The Martha says...
Old 04-11-2009, 11:43 PM   #25
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
little words of wisdom via the PO's dad

Like I said, I've been going over the manuals, and the Owner's Manual in particular had a really heavy going over during the years that the PO's dad (the original purchaser) was "running the ship". Lots of notes hand-written in it.

The manual is incredibly dog-eared, loaded with dried-up Scotch tape, but the interesting thing: all through it, there are little clips of advice that were cut out of (I think) either the WBCCI magazine, or some other old mag. Many of them are marked as from a writer by the name of George James, writing under the byline of "By George", while others have no source marked at all. Stuck on to the appropriate pages, they give good related information and tips to augment the manual's advice.

Here's a couple of examples. I may stick more of them in as I go along this journey, they all make great sense.

Oh, I have named the TT "Henri", in honour of the original owner. I think that name suits it.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:28 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
Aage, I am a kind of a cheapskate myself. I brought my Sony at Best Buy open box sale $500.00. I got the bracket at MonoPrice. They sell all things for home theater very reasonable. If you will need your HDMI cable they have those too. You were so lucky to get your manuals complete with liner notes with your AS I had to buy mine.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #27
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabLover View Post
Aage, I am a kind of a cheapskate myself. I brought my Sony at Best Buy open box sale $500.00. I got the bracket at MonoPrice. They sell all things for home theater very reasonable. If you will need your HDMI cable they have those too. You were so lucky to get your manuals complete with liner notes with your AS I had to buy mine.
Wow, those are good prices, SaabLover! Will definitely check out that Monoprice outfit for a better bracket.

So, do you use the roof antenna for off-air HD broadcasts, or do you have another source (cable, satellite)?
Old 04-12-2009, 02:28 PM   #28
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
A few more pictures.

We were up at the camp on our way to see our kids in Ottawa and I took a few pictures. Kind of like a "before" series, I guess. I've received lots of the parts I ordered now, and we bought a small microwave, so I have stuff to do when next we get there. That may not be till the middle of May, so I guess all I can do for the moment is post pics and yack about it.

Here's the full streetside view. The skin needs stripping, of course, and there is a lot of Vulkem around the windows that could perhaps be improved on.

The windows are all in good shape, including the Vista Views. The PO replaced some parts on them a couple of years ago, so they do work well. Makes for lots of light in the lounge area, which I love.

The hitch area is clean, and the PO gave me the parts for the WD system, so when I get the suspension, brakes and tires up to snuff AND find the TV I want, there shouldn't be too many issues involved in getting on the road. Do I sound too confident?

The front looks clean, doesn't it? I bought the rock guard ("sunglasses") and it's in now, so when it's warmer out, I will install it.

The original dealer is long gone, but his plaque lives on. There appears to be a bit of dissimilar metal corrosion around a couple of the letters, so I expect I'll have to take this off and find something to disguise the holes.

The rear is where many mysteries still lurk. Until I get new tires on, I don't feel comfortable jacking up the TT to get underneath to do a "discovery tour" of the rear bath area, but that's got to be done before long. I have the new black tank now, so that tour has to be fairly soon.

The top shows the disintegration of the Plasticote more than other areas, but I don't see any need to rush after that job. Lots to do before I get around to it, I think.

I find it difficult to get any good shots of the bathroom, mainly because my little digtal camera doesn't have a wide-angle opton. But here's one from the hall, and a couple to the left and right inside. The sink and countertop are in surprisingly good condition, thankfully.

As you might be able to tell, one of the first things to do is to install part of the 70 feet of nosing I bought that goes into the metal track that is almost everywhere in here. What's there now has discoloured badly and cracked, so that is a priority to get done, it looks horrible. Should be a fairly simple task, he said naďvely...

First things first though: on May 15, I do a "season opening" tour of the TT with the PO, where he shows me all the tricks that he has acquired since his dad bought the trailer in 1974. I'm reading the Owner's Manual and there is great detail in there about how to make it sing, so I am confidant that my wife and I will be Masters by mid-summer, ready to sally forth on the road this fall.

Time will tell...
Old 04-12-2009, 03:15 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
WHAT A FIND! She's a beauty!
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:36 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
Great looking A/S.

'75 31ft Airstream Sovereign

Come check out my restoration progress:
https://crazycorpsman-silverbullet.blogspot.com/
CrzyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:59 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Wow! Your trailer looks to be in great shape, certainly better than our '74. I'm thinking that since it's been well cared for and used regularly the owners will have taken care of any leaks, and your frame will be in better condition than ours.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:12 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Wow, those are good prices, SaabLover! Will definitely check out that Monoprice outfit for a better bracket.

So, do you use the roof antenna for off-air HD broadcasts, or do you have another source (cable, satellite)?
Right now it is not in the Airstream as I am doing a little work on it. I will most likely use a satellite dish.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:18 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
We replaced our toilet with the Sealand Traveler Lite. Wish I had done it three years ago when I first bought the trailer...

Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
If U don't mind my asking...How much did U give for her?
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:33 PM   #35
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
It was pretty cheap, especially if you put it in US dollars.

But remember, it is not yet roadworthy: I almost certainly need to have new axles, and I definitely have new tires in front of me to buy. Five of them: I'm not brave enough to go without a spare!

What makes me laugh is, that's only the stuff I KNOW I need!

At least I'll have the satisfaction of knowing exactly where the trailer is at, "health"-wise. And I'm keeping every scrap of bill, so that if I ever need to sell it, I can let the next guy know, too.

After all, while the whole point of this exercise is to be able to go to far-off beautiful places, we have to admit that there is a hobby side to it as well. There's a strong "pride of ownership" in having one of these Silver Surfers.

You've got to have either money and a good, honest mechanic, or some smarts and mechanical abilities of your own to be able to enjoy having an Airstream. Actually, the best is to have both of those, I guess.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:42 PM   #36
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
We replaced our toilet with the Sealand Traveler Lite. Wish I had done it three years ago when I first bought the trailer...

Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!

mike
Yeah, I've been looking at those, Mike. The Sealand ones seem a better price than the Thetfords are, and I would like to have a porcelain one. Those two names seem to be alone in the market. Well, except for the flashy European ones like the one below.

Pretty nice bathroom, huh? We can dream, right?

Dang things are too big and heavy to ship economically to me though, I'll probably have to wind up getting one locally, which always seems to mean more expensive.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #37
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
tambour repair, anyone?

Has anyone ever had the occasion to repair tambour that has separated? The cloth backing appears to have given way in the skinny little cabinet just under the countertop on my TT. The result is that there are many small sections that need to be moved in order to have access.

I haven't tried to remove the bad section yet, but should I be able to do that without completely dismantling the cabinet, I would like to know if it's just a matter of gluing some kind of gauze-like cloth on the back of the tambour for it to hold together again.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Look right here

On the search function you will be able to find a thread on that repair...I don't have time now to find it....but its there and as I remember its good. The thread also links you to a site that sell new tambour material...and as I remember...it sounded like a better deal than repairing the old.
You really have a beauty there, more pics as you go along.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:27 PM   #39
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Robin,

Thanks, I used the "Google" part of the Airforum search and found Silvertwinkie's repair job he did and it seems to be exactly what I was looking for. Here is a link to it for anyone else wanting to re-do the canvas backing. Was that the one you were suggesting?

As well, I came across some simple ways to remove the tambour in a quick fashion, one of which I will try first: cut out the last (or first depending on your point of view) part of the back of the wood channel, so that the tambour can be just slid off.

I imagine that it's a good idea to glue it back in when the job is all done.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:36 AM   #40
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Bottle jack sale

Well, an RV dealer in Whitby Ontario (Owasco) had a sale promotion on last weekend, and since we were in the neighbouthood anyways, we dragged the in-laws down for a look-see.

Got a neat li'l bottle jack for $19.95 and a four-pack of RV terlet paper for C$3.20. Very pleasant staff, and a LOAD of RVs of all sizes.

I was remninded as we looked around why SOBs are so popular: a 31' SOB by a name I can't remember now, well-equipped with a slide-out to increase the LR was on sale for C$23,999.

Remind me what you get in an Airstream for that kind of money? Oh sorry, I forgot; a 10-20 year old used one. But hey I am NOT complaining: guess what this thread is about!

Tags
1974, 31', allure flooring, henri, plumbing, sovereign, rear bathroom, replace