RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #41
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Beautiful table, Grant!

Does the base collapse so that the table can be used as a bed, or is it fixed?
Old 06-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Beautiful table, Grant!

Does the base collapse so that the table can be used as a bed, or is it fixed?
Thanks!

It's fixed. We decided not to try to use the eating area for sleeping as we did in the Overlander, too much bother putting everything away each morning and setting up for sleeping each night - especially with teenagers who like to sleep in. Part of the reason for buying a longer trailer was so we didn't have to go through that.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #43
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Would you come finish out the front end of Bertha for me?

Incredible job on the table, and slick work with the offset PVC pipe... I've done similar before, bit never thought about using the two blocks to maintain the size on such a short piece! Another tid-bit stuck back in my head to amaze a friend somewhere in the future...

-Red
Old 07-25-2013, 12:44 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
bedroom

I've been working on bunks.
These are the temporary ones we used initially.

The original plan was to have bunks on both sides in the rear along with bunks across from the bathroom to give us beds for six, but we've since decided to have bunks on the curb side and a single bed on the street side and leave one kid at home. (Or one of us can sleep in the back of the truck which has a cap. With the kids growing up it looks like getting everyone together at the same time is going to be a rare occurrence.)

The curb-side bunks curve at the back to allow them to clear the rear window. You can see the beginnings of the street-side bed which will include storage accessed from the outside and drawers from the inside.

Here are the bunks - they look short, but are about 6'6" at the longest point. I can lie in them quite comfortably - will be even more comfortable with a mattress!

Better shot of the curved wall. I made this with 1/8" Baltic Birch plywood, maple, and resin-impregnated honeycomb cardboard. I think it's the most complicated thing I've ever made from wood.

Each bunk has a built-in bookrack/storage area at the head. We'll need to cut the mattress around the window to provide access to the latches and probably put something across to keep pressure off the screen and window.

Bottom bunk:

The wall at the head of the bunks will contain a sliding door to close off the bedroom. It's the double wall that will house the door that also allowed for the recessed shelves.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:55 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Longview , Washington
So like what did you have in mind for the vista view windows? I did the same thing with the wood but I still need to finish....I found 2x1/4 plastic from Lowes I was going to try to melt them into the right shape...and cover with aluminum, paint to match. Have you looked into this?
Thisisliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:59 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Longview , Washington
O ya nice job, it looks great.
Thisisliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dryden , Ontario
Nice work - love the curved laminated posts that are required by the window layout.
pckeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
leaking vista view windows

On Friday it rained and I was dismayed to see that one of our vista view windows was leaking. It's been about four and half years since I removed, cleaned and reinstalled them with Trempro 635, and I had hoped they would have stayed sealed for a lot longer than this. I covered the trailer with a tarp (a depressing sight) until today when it was sunny.

I removed the one that was leaking, cleaned it with soap, rinsed well, then degreaser, rinsed again and then alcohol. I cleaned the frame with a wire brush on a drill, then steel wool and mineral spirits, then degreaser, water and finally alcohol. Then reinstalled the window. I had planned to just re-caulk the other four vista views from outside, but when I looked at them closer three of them also showed signs of the caulking failing so it became a day-long job to remove, clean and reinstall all five.

When we bought the Sovereign we looked specifically for one with vista views. I'm not ready to remove them, but as nice as they look I'm not sure they're worth the maintenance and potential leaks. And because the interior trim pieces were cracked (and I didn't like the look of them anyway) I'm now into figuring out a way to trim them.

I used strips of wood to keep the window from falling into the trailer as I cut the caulking from the outside:

Signs that the caulking was failing on one of the other vista views:

One frame appears to be distorted a bit so it's narrower in the middle. A thin strip of aluminum with a slight hook on the end worked to deflect the frame slightly to pull out the glass. I needed this to reinstall the glass on that frame as well.

Wedges hold the glass to the frame while the caulking cures, and plastic spacers (at red arrows) keep the window from sliding too low in the frame.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:08 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
When we bought the Sovereign we looked specifically for one with vista views. I'm not ready to remove them, but as nice as they look I'm not sure they're worth the maintenance and potential leaks. And because the interior trim pieces were cracked (and I didn't like the look of them anyway) I'm now into figuring out a way to trim them.
I'm working on replacement trim pieces, piecing together those for the new Airstream vista views (ordered from Inland RV). I haven't made much progress since my first posting, but I think it's still going to be a viable option.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164...ve-113291.html

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:19 PM   #50
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I think that one of the acknowledged experts on the VV windows here is Zepellinium

A post he made with his "best of" can be found here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f169...tml#post770883

You should be able to find some good ideas in one of those, Grant. Good luck. Zep wound up taking most of his VV windows out, IIRC...

Tags
1974, 31', sovereign