RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Front Plate

I removed the front centre panel today and found that the front plate was rusted through almost 3/4 of the way across.

How thick should this plate be when I replace it? It looks like it was about 16 ga.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front rust.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	85068  

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Black Tank Crack

When I went to reinstall the black water tank I found that it would not sit level on the formed ABS piece that sits below it. The tank was actually sticking up at one corner, and would have been forced down when the floor was installed. A closer look at the bottom of the tank showed a crack right under the toilet flange where the tank had been forced down. The crack didn't quite go all the way through and the tank wasn't leaking - I had water sitting in it for weeks - but I'm pretty sure it would have leaked eventually.
I used a soldering gun to melt the crack together and filled it in with a bit of the same type of plastic that I cut off the top of the vent stack fitting. Then I roughened the exterior tank surface and put a fibreglass patch on it. The black spot you can see under the fibreglass in the photo is not the size of the hole, just the area that was smoothed over when I melted the plastic. To make the tank sit properly I had to remove part of the ABS support and add some styrofoam to support it evenly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Black Water Tank.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	85069  

Old 08-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #23
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Funny, my Sov has a similar problem. The PO showed me when I was buying it that the black tank was cracked, right on the flange where the toilet sat. He had removed and discarded the original toilet and bought a Thetford "Porta Potti" to use in its place.

Since under his ownership the TT has sat in the same place for the last ten years, this is a solution that worked for him. But since my wife and I plan to get it on the road this fall, we plan to take the TT to a welder/fabricator that is local to where the trailer lives, and have the old black tank removed, and the tail checked for sag and repaired. We used him for the screen door repair (he does fabulous TIG welding), and I am most impressed with both him and his large, well-equipped shop.

At that point the new black tank that has graced my garage for the last four months will be installed, along with a brand new toilet.

That, plus some fresh new tires on the beautiful Alcoa rims, and we'll be on our way south.

Or, that's the plan, at least.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:16 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Wow, I can't believe it's been more than 3 months since my last post! Since then I've:
  1. finished repairing and painting the frame (only the tongue is left to paint)
  2. replaced the front centre panel and added extra rivets through the hold down plate, which was also replaced
  3. received a pair of axles ordered through Colin Hyde - I haven't installed them yet
  4. removed the interior panels, insulation and wiring
  5. removed and reinstalled the 5 Vista View windows
  6. removed running lights, trim, etc
  7. removed Airstream letters, painted them and reinstalled
  8. removed International name plates, painted them and reinstalled
  9. used Napier Removall220 to strip clear coat (and fought off the urge to polish!)
  10. installed new LED running lights from Vintage Trailer Supply
  11. reinstalled trim
  12. sealed the seams and around awnings, windows and other openings with Trempro 635 (Vulkem)
  13. removed the rear tail light assemblies, cleaned them up and painted them silver and ordered LED lights for them
  14. cleaned up the licence plate light and replaced the socket and bulb
  15. straightened and painted the spare tire carrier
  16. rewired the running lights
  17. realized that I have a bad case of "while I'm at it I might as well..."

Old 12-01-2009, 07:39 AM   #25
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Holy Mackerel, Grant, you HAVE been busy!

So has your investment come close to a new TT yet? I'm beginning to wonder about mine...

We've been busy with ours, too, and will post details when we are home. We are right now in Kentucky, and today we leave to go to Jackson Center (again: we stopped there on our way down), this time to have a new water heater installed.

Of course, the water heater waited till we were in Florida to start leaking!

Time to put it away for winter now, sadly.

Can't wait for spring!
Old 12-01-2009, 08:59 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Holy Mackerel, Grant, you HAVE been busy!
So has your investment come close to a new TT yet? I'm beginning to wonder about mine...
Not yet, but it's getting up there! I'm trying not to think too much about that.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Table Pedestal

It's been hard to work on the trailer lately due to the weather, but we have had a few decent days and hardly any snow until the past week. I've insulated most of the interior with 1" Dow Super Tuff-R Polyisocyanurate Rigid Foam Insulated Sheathing from Lowes.

I wanted to start on the interior, but the only thing I could think of that didn't require measuring off the interior panels (which are still out) was the table. We're going to have a wrap-around dinette in the front to seat six. I'm figuring on the table being 48" by 53", and since it won't attach to a wall it will need a substantial pedestal to make it solid.

Using some scrap metal that I had I welded up a pedestal. Then I made a shell of 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood to cover it. While it will be hard to tell until it's all together and bolted to the trailer floor, it feels like it will be rock solid.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02020.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	97049   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02022.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	97050  

Name:	DSC02028.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	97051  

Old 02-27-2010, 09:07 AM   #28

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
The table base looks great Grant. Any idea what it weighs?

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
The table base looks great Grant. Any idea what it weighs?
Kevin
44 pounds

Old 03-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
leaking windows

I removed all of the windows, removed the gaskets and replaced with new gasket from Inland RV.

I couldn't figure out why two of the windows were still leaking after I replaced them. Then I noticed that someone had drilled a couple of small holes in the frame of each one. They were probably trying to let the water out that was leaking in from the bad gaskets, but there was more water coming in than out. I sealed the holes and no more leaks.

I'm now in the process of reinstalling the interior panels.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WindowHole.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	97952  

Old 08-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
I see that it's been far too long since I posted on this thread!

Briefly - in the summer of 2010 we took a month-long trip from in the US south-west - from home to Denver - Arches National Park - Canyon de Chelly - Petrified Forest National Park - Los Angeles - up the Pacific Coast Highway almost to San Francisco and home via Salt Lake City and the Black Hills of South Dakota. It was a whirlwind trip, but as the kids get older it gets harder to find a block of time to travel. Not everything was finished in the trailer (still isn't!) but things went pretty well.

While camping near Mount Rushmore we found that the rear brakes on the truck were sticking. We limped to Rapid City, SD where we spent the day getting them fixed. Missing that day of travel meant covering 1300 miles in the next two days to get home.

Last summer, unable to get all 4 kids together to camp, my wife and daughter and I camped for a week at Hoeft State Park in Michigan while our twins attended a nearby 4-H camp. This was the first time we ever spent 5 nights in a row in the same campsite - what a treat!

While at Hoeft we found that our grey water tank was leaking. Last fall I removed it and found that it had cracked around the outlet. The black tank had already been patched once, so I decided to replace both of them. I had a 25 gallon black tank that hadn't been used by Smokeless Joe, and I purchased a 42 gallon grey tank from Custom Roto-molding. These tanks, being larger and deeper than the originals, brought the outlet to a point where it was centred on the bottom edge of the frame. I welded a piece onto the frame to add support and cut a new hole for the outlet.

Borrowing an idea from Smokeless Joe (see image here) I decided to build a box to protect the new outlet.

On our second trip out the box was damaged by something (see photo below). My best guess is that we ran over a piece of wood, the tire flipped it up, and it hit the 1/8" aluminum at 60 mph, which I think would be enough to do the damage we see here. There are no scratches at the point of impact, so I don't see how it could have been a curb or anything else very hard, besides which, I think I'd remember running over a curb. It pushed on the outlet pipe but since it was connected to the valve with a flexible rubber connector there was no damage to it. Fortunately I hadn't put a door on the compartment yet as that too would have been damaged, and might have damaged the side of the trailer. All in all a pretty minor problem. I see that Sergei's compartment is right behind the wheel which might prevent this type of damage. Back to the drawing board!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dump valve box damage.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	326.8 KB
ID:	166181  

Old 08-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #32
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Sounds like an interesting vacation, Grant! Well, apart from the mystery damage...

And if you ever need another 25 gallon black tank, I have a factory-fresh new one in my shed.

ps: was the rest of your holidays OK?
Old 08-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
ps: was the rest of your holidays OK?
Everything else went fine, thanks.

In my rush to get the trailer ready for the summer of 2010 trip to the south-west I ordered laminate for the table and counters from our local Lowes. Although they promised it would arrive on time, they were dealing with a new supplier and it didn't arrive before we left. I ended up coating the counter and table in epoxy to protect them from the moisture and make it easier to keep clean.

The delivery delay turned out to be a blessing in many ways. On the trip we decided that the layout of the sink and stove on the counter was not optimal, that the table was about 1" too big on all four sides. And the icing on the cake - Lowes gave us the two sheets of laminate for FREE because the order was late!

Old 08-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
And if you ever need another 25 gallon black tank, I have a factory-fresh new one in my shed.
Thanks, but I think your tank is different as I have a mid-bath and yours is a rear bath.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #35
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
Thanks, but I think your tank is different as I have a mid-bath and yours is a rear bath.
Drat! Missed it by THAT much!
Old 08-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #36

1974 31' Sovereign
Omaha , Nebraska
I have just bought the same trailer and have it sitting in my driveway. I am a newb to the Airstream world and want to rebuild this one. My first question is when you gutted the trailer and removed the floor, did you have to do any shoring to the body at all? From your last picture, it looks like you just have it sitting on the outriggers, but that just seems way too easy.
Thanks for the info!
PreisterFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #37
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreisterFam View Post
I have just bought the same trailer and have it sitting in my driveway. I am a newb to the Airstream world and want to rebuild this one. My first question is when you gutted the trailer and removed the floor, did you have to do any shoring to the body at all? From your last picture, it looks like you just have it sitting on the outriggers, but that just seems way too easy.
Thanks for the info!
Given the scope of the work that you are going to undertake very soon, I think you should start a new thread to talk about it, rather than use this gentleman's thread.

You are in the right sub-forum to post it, and just let me know if you need help to do start the new thread.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreisterFam View Post
Thanks for the info!
Wow, your first post and it was to my thread! I feel honoured.

If you check out some of the more detailed threads on floor replacement and frame repair you'll find better information on how the floor connects to the walls and frame.

As Aage has suggested it would be a good idea to start a thread on your own project. If you do that, send me a private message to let me know what the thread is called so I can find it and I'd be happy to follow along with your progress and help in any way that I can. I didn't remove the shell and I didn't remove the whole floor all at the same time. I started at the back and worked my way forward, removing the floor in sections, welding the frame where required and putting in the new floor.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
When I replaced the grey and black tanks I found that I needed to connect two 3" ABS pipes with an offset of just a couple of inches in a short distance. The commonly available elbow angles wouldn't work, so I took a piece of ABS and mounted it in blocks attached to either side of a workmate. I heated it with a heat gun and then moved the jaws of the vice together, creating an offset in the pipe while keeping the ends parallel.

The pipe actually extends almost all the way through both blocks, which were drilled to fit its outside diameter. It took two tries to get it right, and the part worked great!

Old 06-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
The first table I created was made of MDF. Too heavy, and as it turned out it was slightly too large, as I described in Post #33. I decided to use resin impregnated cardboard with a sheet of 1/8 Baltic Birch plywood on each side to make the table lighter and stronger.

Using an old milking machine vacuum pump from our farm

I built a vacuum form to glue up the pieces.

Here is the finished table:

Tags
1974, 31', sovereign