RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-03-2006, 06:30 PM   #21
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Por-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
Just one last point, use POR-15, others have tried other products and they have failed over time.

You don't want to do this again do you?
Bob, I have used POR-15 before. I'm not a big fan of this product. It's expensive, tricky to use and must be covered with a paint to protect it from UV ray destruction. I'm going with the RUST MORT for this project. If it last 10 years, that's enough for me! Bill
lebolewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 09:20 PM   #22
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
More Photos

The first photo shows the part that has been treated with Rust Mort on the left and far right. I will be painting all of this with silver Rust-Oleum The brown part is the untreated part that I will cut out and remove....then replace with new galvanized metal. In the 2nd photo you can clearly see the two access holes and the long vertical strip where the rust has eaten through the pan. .......to be continued. Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Treated.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	26731   Click image for larger version

Name:	treatrd2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	26732  

Old 10-08-2006, 11:41 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
I mentioned favorite tools for working on my old trailer frame and today I must correct my above post; on my 1973 Overlander the frame paint is an asphalt compound that loads up & ruins sand papers and abrasive fiber discs!

Yesterday I spent 7 hours working on frame with a high-speed rotary air cutoff saw and wore out two 3-inch wire wheels that chucked up nicely in it. The tool I use has a throttle trim so I kept it on its lowest speed and then regulated the air pressure to keep the RPM's just high enough so it wouldn't bog down on light pressure.

Now I am trying to degrease the nasty asphalt 'creosote' residues the wire wheel left on; more work than I wanted. POR-15 calls for using a postassium hydroxide degreaser, any solvent based degreasers plug the metal pores with a thin film of whatever they are carrying away...

I am posting a question on POR-15 and old Airstream frames immediately after uploading this...
Old 10-16-2006, 03:14 PM   #24
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Hooray! Hooray!!! I have finished the repair/rebuild of my holding tank pan. Well almost. I still have the 3-in. exit plumbing to complete, but that will be comparatively easy. I installed the pan Saturday while my Nephew was available to help. Getting that thing back up and in place was way too much for one person. That repaired holding tank pan is a heavy item. I cut out a piece about 20" by 56" and replaced it with a piece that was 30" by 60". The over lap all around added some noticeable weight. Anyway it's done and looks good. That new angle grinder was what made it all possible, that's a great tool.....But it demands care when in use.

I forgot to take any photos of the "finished" pan, too anxious to get it back on I guess, but I took some of the back part after it was installed.

Here is a tip for you. Leaky sewer vents are so destructive that I have decided to install an "early warning" system on two of my 3 vent pipes, the two that I can get access to. Both of these go into that pan I just re-built. I never want to have "leaky" sewer vents again! Now, this is a high-tech solution, so follow this very carefully. I will tie an old white cotton sock around each vent pipe, up about head height, just after they come through the roof. The two vent pipes that I can get to are both hidden in closets, so the socks will not be obvious. Then periodically, after it rains, I will feel the socks to see if there is any evidence of moisture!! If I got moisture, then I have a LEAK! SHAZAM! Simple and effective! The price is right, too! Airstream should offer these as an accessory.

Cheers, Bill
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	repaired_pan.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	27073   Click image for larger version

Name:	repaired_pan2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	27074  

Name:	repaired_pan3.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	27075  
Old 10-16-2006, 03:24 PM   #25
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Fandamtastic!!!

Bill, That looks great!
Congratulations!
Good pictures, too.
The tip is priceless, a real piece of ingenuity. I was about to yell "Roll Tide," for your Alabama smarts, but maybe you're a War Eagle. (I am a native of Athens, AL; can't take the Bama out of the kid, even in a bad year, with Ohio State down the road.)
Anne
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:10 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Decatur , Georgia
Scarry stuff!

This scares the heck of me, since I'm just reactivating a '63 Bambi which has been sitting outside unused for 27 years.

The pictures and story at [http://www.six55.com/AS/frame.htm] are especially scarry, as the implication is the tank (before repair) could jar loose on the road, and the commode could fall out on the highway behind it.

I'm loaning the Bambi to a young lady whose Dad will tow it from Atlanta to Asheville, NC, leave it parked for 5 months, then tow it back. I sure wouldn't want a disaster to befall them on the way there or back.

So, someone pls. advise. Would it be adequate to suggest they pull it around locally when traffic is lighter, and check if anything happens. Or, do I need to pop the rivets, pull the panel down, and check if the tank is secure?

Any opinions would be appreciated. I only have this week to do something, one way or the other.

The more I read on this forum, the more challenging the reactivation of my Dad's 44-year-old Bambi is looking.
Goldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote