Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2002, 11:42 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
manuals available

Greetings.
I recently bought a '77 Sovereign in very good condition except for some minor (I think) plumbing repairs needed. The second-last previous owner had quit travelling and gone into a Florida retirement community, so he left all the pots, pans, and other stuff, which the last owners passed on to me. So I don't even have to outfit it except for food, clothing, and personal items. Neat, huh?

Included in the materials were a bunch of owners manuals for appliances, etc., which I've organized into a notebook. There is also the original owner's manual (with warranty pasted into it!) and a service manual. If anyone else needs information from these manuals, I'd be willing to look it up. I'm also willing to copy any part of either manual for the cost of copying and mailing, plus 10% for running around expenses.

I'd enjoy hearing from other owners of this model.
Eugenie
maznblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 12:40 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Thumbs up

Hi Eugenie,
A new AS, manuals, and outfitted? you scored a 'hat trick' on that purchase. And thanks for the offer if anyone needs copies, that is a real handy service to offer others in need. Be sure to keep us updated on your new Sovereign.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 08:30 AM   #3

Smile 1977 Sovereign

We are in the process of trying to buy a 1977 Sovereign from a man in the nursing home; we do not know if any info comes with it or not. How may we obtain info from you on this airstream? buffnbj at twokings@earthlink.net
Old 09-03-2002, 06:25 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dillon , South Carolina

WhaT is the dry weight of your unit?
urb2165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 07:31 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
dry weights

The dry weight of your rig will vary according to what options it has. In the manual, there is a chart with weights for everything stated, so it is a matter of adding up. Unfortunately, the manuals are in the trailer, which is 50 miles away. I will retrieve them this weekend, however, so can get back with some info next week.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:14 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
dry weights for '77 Sovereign

I have the owner's manual for my A/S in front of me now, so I can provide GVWR and factory weights for all of the models in this class of vehicles. The factory weight is the vehicle without options or variable weights.

So: for my 31 ft, twin bed, rear bath Sovereign, the GVWR is 7100 lbs, and the factory weight is 5040. The allowable additional total weight, including personal cargo is 2060 lbs.

To give just an idea of additional weight calculation, the air conditioner for this model adds 124 lbs to the axle system and 26 lbs to the tongue weight. Interestingly, double pane windows add 60/5 and vista view windows add 20/14 to the axle and tongue weights, respectively. The International Package, which mine has, adds 54/34.

So using the weight tables, it is possible to see how quickly weight adds up with options, before even including luggage of any kind.

Hope this helps. If anyone with a '77 wants weights for particular options, let me know. I suppose these weights could be used for a rough estimate for other models as well.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
EAP,
I read with interest your post on '77 Sovereign dry weights. I pulled out the owners manual for my '77 Excella 500 31' rear bath twin bed configuration and ran the calculations. My GVWR is 8500 lbs. and factory wt. is 5880. My allowable additional total wt., including personal cargo is 2620 lbs. Since many of the options you listed, vista view windows, AC, etc. I assume were included in the Excella package, no individual weights were listed for them. I do have the 10 gal. 40 lb. aluminum tanks which make it nice. I weighed my trailer ready for travel with all 3 tanks dry, full propane tanks and found a tongue wt. of 1160 lbs., roadside axles at 2840 lbs. and curbside axles at 2740 lbs. A Cabela's Alaskan Guide tent with vestibule was on the floor over the axles on the heavier side of the trailer so this accounted for the difference in the side weights I guess. The trailer weighed 5680 lbs hooked up with the equalizer hitch. I am going to take it back to weigh the entire thing unhooked from the truck within the next few weeks.

Some of my other calculated weights are:

Max. Personal Cargo 2017 lbs., Recommended personal cargo on tongue 167 lbs., maximum personal cargo per axle system 2010 lbs. Hmmmm, I wonder why the max. per. cargo is more than the max. per cargo per axle system?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 03:41 PM   #8
andreaszabo

I also have a manual. Great owners of my airstream kept everything beautifully.
Is there any copyright infringement if we scan and post info from the manual?
--andrea
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2002, 05:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
If Secretarial Services can run copies, I don't know why you can't. I wish I had the original owners manual but a copy from Sec. Ser. fit the bill. I also picked up an original 1977 brochure on the Excella 500 showing all the options available. I can't believe they had a chandelier hanging over the dining room table.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 10:26 AM   #10
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Manuals online

Hi - Back last week there was quite a bit of discussion re: manuals and possibly using pdf to put on line. It was the forum called Airstream manuals on the Parts Forum. I added my 2 cents worth after surfing the web and finding this site where they are doing just that.

It would be great if all forum members who wanted and had manuals would add to this site (if I remember correctly, you contact the web master thru e-mail, his address is given) and your manual can be added to the list already established. I want to see about getting a copy of our trailers manual thru Sec. Serv. but, meanwhile having access to some problem areas in wiring and/or plumbing would be great. Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 09:56 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Thumbs up 1977 Sovereign

Hi,
I just purchased a 1977 31' Sovereign. It came with no manuals. I would like to purchase copys from you if possible. The previous owner had painted all the trim blue and an aweful gold. Not even close to Mich. colors. It is really ugly. Anne and I are currently stripping it. I am disabled so it is really hard to see any progress. Slow but sure. Would you happen to know where I could find the blue (plastic or rubber, not sure) strips that insert in the trim. Middle of trailer and bottom. I am also looking for the door window and trim. Please reply. Anne and Bob Lake City MI. newworld@voyager.net
newworld is offline   Reply With Quote