Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #1

1989 29' Excella
Meadowlands , Minnesota
Locked Bathroom Door

HELP! I just had a different bathroom door issue. I purchased a 1974 International a couple days ago. So, I was opening and closing everything to evaluate what needs TLC. The bathroom door has a little post on a spring on the upper right side. This post fits into a space to hold the door in place when it is open. You pull out on it to move the door. Well, I pulled the door closed from outside the bathroom and heard a "click." The post must have slid into another space to lock the door closed. Cannot figure out how to open the door. Help!!! My family cannot seem to stop laughing at me.
BigRedExpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
Wow! I'm sorry you're stuck in this situation. I have no idea how to unlock it, but hopefully this will bump your post back up to the top of the list & someone else who is more handy will be able to answer your question.

Our Argosy has a similar bathroom lock, but on the floor. You can only lock it open; there is no extra space to allow it to lock when the door is closed.

Good luck; let us know how it works out - and congratulations on your new Airstream! We'd love to see pictures of it when you get a chance!

Sharon
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
If it's a rear bath, you may be able to slide the door further in the "closed" direction and it'll slide out of the lower track, allowing you to swing the bottom of the door aft toward the bathroom and maybe get in there. My Argosy's sliding door will easily slide a bit too far and get out of the lower track, and it's fiddly to get is back into the track from the outside.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #4

1989 29' Excella
Meadowlands , Minnesota
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedExpres View Post
HELP! I just had a different bathroom door issue. I purchased a 1974 International a couple days ago. So, I was opening and closing everything to evaluate what needs TLC. The bathroom door has a little post on a spring on the upper right side. This post fits into a space to hold the door in place when it is open. You pull out on it to move the door. Well, I pulled the door closed from outside the bathroom and heard a "click." The post must have slid into another space to lock the door closed. Cannot figure out how to open the door. Help!!! My family cannot seem to stop laughing at me.
Well, the bathroom door is open. I drilled the rivets out of the upper portion of the bedroom wall and removed it so I could reach over and pull out on the spring-loaded post. The door does not glide smoothly -- a bit more inspection will be forthcoming.

I see that the door has two plastic pieces on the top that serve as glides. When the door is fully open, the post is in front of the first glide, thus keeping the door from opening. When you close the door, I suspect that the post should hit against the second glide to keep the door from moving too far. Perhaps this second glide is damaged and did not stop the glide. Or perhaps the door is designed to lock when closed.

Anyone out there have a similar door? Could you tell me if the door is designed to lock when closed or do I need to do a bit of maintenance?
BigRedExpres is offline   Reply With Quote