Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2004, 06:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Short

Is it a.......?

I just purschased my first A/S. The side of the trailer and the owners manual calls it an International 31' twin / rear bath model. Is it a Sovereign, an International, or both? It was originally purchased in Montgomery Alabama, then it ended up in Florida where the second owner dragged it back to Pennsylvania. I don't know what happened during the mean time, but I just purchased it in Arizona and brought it back to So Cal.

It's in great shape and everything appears to work, but the most recent owner was a smoker, so I'm trying to find ways to eliminate the odor. In addition to replacing window coverings and other porous fabrics, I'm hoping a good scrubbing and airing out will do it.

I towed it home with an '04 Dodge 2500 2wd with the Hemi, 5spd auto, limited slip diff and the trailer-tow package. I had to keep checking the mirrors to make sure it was still there.

John-Boy
krowsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 06:47 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Welcome to the forum.

It is all that: Sovereign means it is a 31 foot model, the International is a trim package, like the SLT on your truck.

If you can afford to pitch the foam and the mattresses too. Then start scrubbing. You can get most of it out, but it will never be 100% unless you get behind all of the cabinets, etc. Clean anything you can get to and replace the soft goods and the smell should be unnoticeable.

Sounds like you got a good one
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 08:32 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
most recent owner was a smoker, so I'm trying to find ways to eliminate the odor.
Hello,

Some thoughts on removing smoke odor. Clean all surfaces including windows with appropriate household/glass cleaners. Heard that Kids & Pets Brand Stain & Odor Remover,” by Paramount Chemical Specialties works well. (www.kidsnpetsbrand.com).

Sprinkle baking soda on all fabric/carpet then vacuum several hours later. Not sure if air conditioner has an interior air intake but will need to try to clean that if it has one.

Once you have cleaned everything start spraying Febreze around and keep windows open to help air out.

Good luck.
DogHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 08:59 PM   #4
1 Rivet Short

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
It is all that: Sovereign means it is a 31 foot model, the International is a trim package, like the SLT on your truck.
You mean like my 'Laramie' package?

I must've asked the poor P/O thousands of questions before buying it. The one question I forgot to ask, which is surprising since I don't like cigarette smoke is, is he a smoker, which he is. It was in such nice shape otherwise though, I decided to go for it.

I've enjoyed admiring Airstreams for many years now, but only recently has the opportunity, and the need, come up where everything came together. I needed a place to live while I sell one house and build another, so I figured a trailer would work out great. And, if I was going to live in something for up to a year, it'd pretty much have to be an A/S. Such was the reason for purchasing a 31 'r.

I'm going to spend a month or so cleaning, making sure everything works (and 'how' everything works), and then it's home sweet home! BTW, I'm really glad I found this forum. I've already learned quite a bit, plus it's helping me to know how much I don't know.

John-Boy
Old 08-16-2004, 03:06 AM   #5
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Bounce it

A thorough cleaning will be needed to erase the nicotine stains but a generous spread of Bounce sheets will help eliminate the odor.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 04:25 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
1987 25' Sovereign
1977 23' Safari
North Olmsted , Ohio
Lightbulb

I you are real ambitious.....Screens, especially the fabric type, absorb all the odors as well as the dust and pollens. We spent a day replacing the screens in our Airstream, well worth the effort, great results! No traces of PO smoking.

Enjoy your Airstream and hope to see you on the road.
Dave
Old 08-16-2004, 05:45 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
New Bloomfield , Missouri
What Year is it?`

Quote:
Originally Posted by krowsea
I just purschased my first A/S. The side of the trailer and the owners manual calls it an International 31' twin / rear bath model. Is it a Sovereign, an International, or both? It was originally purchased in Montgomery Alabama, then it ended up in Florida where the second owner dragged it back to Pennsylvania. I don't know what happened during the mean time, but I just purchased it in Arizona and brought it back to So Cal.

It's in great shape and everything appears to work, but the most recent owner was a smoker, so I'm trying to find ways to eliminate the odor. In addition to replacing window coverings and other porous fabrics, I'm hoping a good scrubbing and airing out will do it.

I towed it home with an '04 Dodge 2500 2wd with the Hemi, 5spd auto, limited slip diff and the trailer-tow package. I had to keep checking the mirrors to make sure it was still there.

John-Boy
mtjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 11:08 AM   #8
1 Rivet Short

Thanks everyone, for the great suggestions! I guess it's not as hopeless as I had feared. Brett's idea to replace the foam and cushions is something I hadn't thought about, but I plan on doing. I'm going to pull the screens also and scrub them down, along with the A/C filters and anything else I can take off. It's in pretty nice shape, so it's worth the effort. Thanks for all the ideas and links!

John-Boy
1975 31' Sovereign
Old 08-16-2004, 01:57 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Whooohoo!

another '75 sucke...I mean owner. With the beloved center twin rear bath none the less!

John,
Welcome to the WWoAS. My unit was owned by a heavy smoker at some time in it's previous life. I have a lot of the interior of mine pulled out at the moment But I have found that one of those little steam cleaners works great for getting the gunk out of the nooks, crannies and joints between the panels. Also does a good job of cleaning the interior panels of the general gunk build up. The steamer unit I bought came from Home Despot cost was about $50 IIRC.

Make sure you post pictures so that some of us poor rehabbers can see what a 1975 rear bath is supposed to look like.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 02:02 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Make sure you post pictures so that some of us poor rehabbers can see what a 1975 rear bath is supposed to look like.

Aaron
Would pictures of a '75 Safari (rear bathroom) also help? Ours is in very good original condition.
Ferroequine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 03:42 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by krowsea
. I'm going to pull the screens also and scrub them down, along with the A/C filters and anything else I can take off. It's in pretty nice shape, so it's worth the effort. Thanks for all the ideas and links!John-Boy
1975 31' Sovereign
Screen material is cheap enough, I would save the old ones, make new ones from them, and pitch the old ones. Total cost for your coach should be well under $50.00.
Terry
Old 08-16-2004, 06:27 PM   #12
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferroequine
Would pictures of a '75 Safari (rear bathroom) also help? Ours is in very good original condition.
My comment about pictures was mainly tongue in cheek...but I am always ready to see pictures of Airstreams! Especially ones of our vintage. Never know when you might come across something different. That you might want to incorporate into your own unit.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 09:07 PM   #13
1 Rivet Short

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
My comment about pictures was mainly tongue in cheek...but I am always ready to see pictures of Airstreams!
I'll see yur 'tongue in cheek', and raise ya a 'tongue in airstream', or at least a few photos of one. These photos are how it looked when I picked it up. Now..... where did I put that Lava Lamp?

Here is the photo link;

http://photobucket.com/albums/v116/krowsea/Airstream/

John-Boy