RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-15-2004, 07:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Short
 
krowsea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 84
Is it a.......?

I just purschased my first A/S. The side of the trailer and the owners manual calls it an International 31' twin / rear bath model. Is it a Sovereign, an International, or both? It was originally purchased in Montgomery Alabama, then it ended up in Florida where the second owner dragged it back to Pennsylvania. I don't know what happened during the mean time, but I just purchased it in Arizona and brought it back to So Cal.

It's in great shape and everything appears to work, but the most recent owner was a smoker, so I'm trying to find ways to eliminate the odor. In addition to replacing window coverings and other porous fabrics, I'm hoping a good scrubbing and airing out will do it.

I towed it home with an '04 Dodge 2500 2wd with the Hemi, 5spd auto, limited slip diff and the trailer-tow package. I had to keep checking the mirrors to make sure it was still there.

John-Boy
krowsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 07:47 PM   #2
Just a member
 
thenewkid64's Avatar
 
1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,543
Images: 21
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Welcome to the forum.

It is all that: Sovereign means it is a 31 foot model, the International is a trim package, like the SLT on your truck.

If you can afford to pitch the foam and the mattresses too. Then start scrubbing. You can get most of it out, but it will never be 100% unless you get behind all of the cabinets, etc. Clean anything you can get to and replace the soft goods and the smell should be unnoticeable.

Sounds like you got a good one
__________________
Brett G
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato


thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 09:32 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5
Quote:
most recent owner was a smoker, so I'm trying to find ways to eliminate the odor.
Hello,

Some thoughts on removing smoke odor. Clean all surfaces including windows with appropriate household/glass cleaners. Heard that Kids & Pets Brand Stain & Odor Remover, by Paramount Chemical Specialties works well. (www.kidsnpetsbrand.com).

Sprinkle baking soda on all fabric/carpet then vacuum several hours later. Not sure if air conditioner has an interior air intake but will need to try to clean that if it has one.

Once you have cleaned everything start spraying Febreze around and keep windows open to help air out.

Good luck.
DogHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 09:59 PM   #4
1 Rivet Short
 
krowsea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
It is all that: Sovereign means it is a 31 foot model, the International is a trim package, like the SLT on your truck.
You mean like my 'Laramie' package?


I must've asked the poor P/O thousands of questions before buying it. The one question I forgot to ask, which is surprising since I don't like cigarette smoke is, is he a smoker, which he is. It was in such nice shape otherwise though, I decided to go for it.

I've enjoyed admiring Airstreams for many years now, but only recently has the opportunity, and the need, come up where everything came together. I needed a place to live while I sell one house and build another, so I figured a trailer would work out great. And, if I was going to live in something for up to a year, it'd pretty much have to be an A/S. Such was the reason for purchasing a 31 'r.

I'm going to spend a month or so cleaning, making sure everything works (and 'how' everything works), and then it's home sweet home! BTW, I'm really glad I found this forum. I've already learned quite a bit, plus it's helping me to know how much I don't know.

John-Boy
krowsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 04:06 AM   #5
5 rivets, 1 loose screw
 
Rog0525's Avatar
 
1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,555
Images: 11
Bounce it

A thorough cleaning will be needed to erase the nicotine stains but a generous spread of Bounce sheets will help eliminate the odor.
__________________
Rog

May you camp where wind wont hit you, where snakes wont bite and bears wont git you.


Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 05:25 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
 
blucloud's Avatar
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
1987 25' Sovereign
1977 23' Safari
North Olmsted , Ohio
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 135
Images: 20
Lightbulb

I you are real ambitious.....Screens, especially the fabric type, absorb all the odors as well as the dust and pollens. We spent a day replacing the screens in our Airstream, well worth the effort, great results! No traces of PO smoking.

Enjoy your Airstream and hope to see you on the road.
Dave
__________________
You never know what you can do
until you try to undo what you did.
blucloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 06:45 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
mtjim's Avatar
 
1973 25' Tradewind
New Bloomfield , Missouri
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 43
What Year is it?`



Quote:
Originally Posted by krowsea
I just purschased my first A/S. The side of the trailer and the owners manual calls it an International 31' twin / rear bath model. Is it a Sovereign, an International, or both? It was originally purchased in Montgomery Alabama, then it ended up in Florida where the second owner dragged it back to Pennsylvania. I don't know what happened during the mean time, but I just purchased it in Arizona and brought it back to So Cal.

It's in great shape and everything appears to work, but the most recent owner was a smoker, so I'm trying to find ways to eliminate the odor. In addition to replacing window coverings and other porous fabrics, I'm hoping a good scrubbing and airing out will do it.

I towed it home with an '04 Dodge 2500 2wd with the Hemi, 5spd auto, limited slip diff and the trailer-tow package. I had to keep checking the mirrors to make sure it was still there.

John-Boy
mtjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 12:08 PM   #8
1 Rivet Short
 
krowsea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 84
Thanks everyone, for the great suggestions! I guess it's not as hopeless as I had feared. Brett's idea to replace the foam and cushions is something I hadn't thought about, but I plan on doing. I'm going to pull the screens also and scrub them down, along with the A/C filters and anything else I can take off. It's in pretty nice shape, so it's worth the effort. Thanks for all the ideas and links!


John-Boy
1975 31' Sovereign
krowsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 02:57 PM   #9
Rivet Monster
 
wahoonc's Avatar

 
1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,173
Images: 40
Whooohoo!

another '75 sucke...I mean owner. With the beloved center twin rear bath none the less!

John,
Welcome to the WWoAS. My unit was owned by a heavy smoker at some time in it's previous life. I have a lot of the interior of mine pulled out at the moment But I have found that one of those little steam cleaners works great for getting the gunk out of the nooks, crannies and joints between the panels. Also does a good job of cleaning the interior panels of the general gunk build up. The steamer unit I bought came from Home Despot cost was about $50 IIRC.

Make sure you post pictures so that some of us poor rehabbers can see what a 1975 rear bath is supposed to look like.

Aaron
__________________
....so many Airstreams....so little time...
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 03:02 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Make sure you post pictures so that some of us poor rehabbers can see what a 1975 rear bath is supposed to look like.

Aaron
Would pictures of a '75 Safari (rear bathroom) also help? Ours is in very good original condition.
Ferroequine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 04:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
overlander63's Avatar
 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 21,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by krowsea
. I'm going to pull the screens also and scrub them down, along with the A/C filters and anything else I can take off. It's in pretty nice shape, so it's worth the effort. Thanks for all the ideas and links!John-Boy
1975 31' Sovereign
Screen material is cheap enough, I would save the old ones, make new ones from them, and pitch the old ones. Total cost for your coach should be well under $50.00.
Terry
__________________
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 07:27 PM   #12
Rivet Monster
 
wahoonc's Avatar

 
1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,173
Images: 40
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferroequine
Would pictures of a '75 Safari (rear bathroom) also help? Ours is in very good original condition.
My comment about pictures was mainly tongue in cheek...but I am always ready to see pictures of Airstreams! Especially ones of our vintage. Never know when you might come across something different. That you might want to incorporate into your own unit.

Aaron
__________________
....so many Airstreams....so little time...
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 10:07 PM   #13
1 Rivet Short
 
krowsea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
My comment about pictures was mainly tongue in cheek...but I am always ready to see pictures of Airstreams!
I'll see yur 'tongue in cheek', and raise ya a 'tongue in airstream', or at least a few photos of one. These photos are how it looked when I picked it up. Now..... where did I put that Lava Lamp?

Here is the photo link;

http://photobucket.com/albums/v116/krowsea/Airstream/

John-Boy
krowsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.