Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2009, 06:28 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
Good light weight Subfloor for bath?

I have cut out a piece of the bath floor behind the toilet and under inside skin had got water in and rotted it out . Ok here is the thing I DO NOT want to replace whole floor so I need a good light weight sub floor any suggestions?

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I'd go with what was originally there. Does it seem like you're seeing 1/2"? Marine ply aims to minimize unrepaired veneer defects in middle layers. I had trouble getting that locally and used 19/32" underlayment ply on my Argosy -- that caused a mismatch with existing floor but wasn't too bad.

It's hard to visualize how minimal you can keep this repair. Pictures are gooder...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
I'd go with what was originally there. Does it seem like you're seeing 1/2"? Marine ply aims to minimize unrepaired veneer defects in middle layers. I had trouble getting that locally and used 19/32" underlayment ply on my Argosy -- that caused a mismatch with existing floor but wasn't too bad.

It's hard to visualize how minimal you can keep this repair. Pictures are gooder...
Well I have the pictures on my cell phone.But I want to go over the floor not replace the floor it is only like a 1.5 foot by 2.5 foot piece I have removed and it is half over a beam and no support under the inside skin. So If i can over what floor I have now which is in good shape I would prefer that (how about aluminum ,or thin metal of some kind?)

Actually I am going over today Ill get some more pictures...

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Old 04-04-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Also there is no weight to bare wherer the hole is ..

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Old 04-04-2009, 01:22 PM   #5
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Here is a good way. Get some plywood the same thickness as the old stuff. Cut out a nice neat patch. Lay the patch on the floor and cut the old floor to match. Use a router to rout a step in the floor and in the patch so they overlap. Put the patch in with wood glue and screws for a permanent repair.

This is too obvious but you have to measure back from the traced outline, before you cut, to leave enough material to overlap.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:47 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fiber glass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post
Here is a good way. Get some plywood the same thickness as the old stuff. Cut out a nice neat patch. Lay the patch on the floor and cut the old floor to match. Use a router to rout a step in the floor and in the patch so they overlap. Put the patch in with wood glue and screws for a permanent repair.

This is too obvious but you have to measure back from the traced outline, before you cut, to leave enough material to overlap.
What about fabricating a fiberglass wood patch have the fiberglass over lap the wood subfloor have a tight fit with fiber glass over hang for support? anyone?

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Old 04-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Front part of trailer subfloor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcrowley View Post
I have cut out a piece of the bath floor behind the toilet and under inside skin had got water in and rotted it out . Ok here is the thing I DO NOT want to replace whole floor so I need a good light weight sub floor any suggestions?
The direct front part of the the floor where the two battery boxes and the Univolt is. It is getting week but I dont want to pull up the floor. What about fabricating a fiber glass subfloor over existing floor have aount 1/2 inch fiberglass subfloor and I could togle bolt floor down and deck screem it to . Would this be more problomatic or even work?

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Old 04-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Actually the hole runs close to the rib beams I could put a piece of treated 2x4 across the length bolt it to the frame make a plywood patch matching floor and patch then screw patch to 2x4 then bondo or fill in seams and sand it . As far as the front goes could make a plywood patch with treated plywood and cut past first cross beam about a foot make a under liner for support and bridge patch to existing plywood then bolt it to the cross beam with new bolts and holes then bondo any spaces. I mean honestly I have another 15 years at least I can get out of this trailer after that I could do a full renovation.

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust