RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-30-2011, 10:31 PM   #21
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamkeira View Post
Thanks wag n tg. It appears the trailer umbillical was up dated. Still looks old but was replaced or changed.
Is it a sealed cord or can you open up the TV end of the cord. It may still be wired up the old way.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:38 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Receptacle???

wasagachris: Do you know if the UCord in their trailer goes to a junction box inside or does it have a receptacle on the trailer? My Argosy is hard wired in.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:53 PM   #23
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
wasagachris: Do you know if the UCord in their trailer goes to a junction box inside or does it have a receptacle on the trailer? My Argosy is hard wired in.
No I don`t know for sure. If it`s the same as my 73 it is removeable. Minno`s was the same. Maybe Argosy being the poor sister of Airsteam did not have this option.
I suspect that the problem they are having is that the umbilical is wired to the old pattern. I suggest keeping the trailer the same and just relocate wires on the TV end of the umbilical. That`s what I did for mine and everything works fine, even have reverse lights as my TV is wired for that. My cord worked on a 75 Sovereign that I bought in NC and brought back here.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I agree with the suggestion of keep the trailer the same and matching the mating end of the UCord to the TV. The thing we need to find out is if a PO spliced into the original cord if it's hard wired with a new piece or if is in fact the original. Or if it a removable cord. If it's the original it will probably have the same colored wires as the Argosy since it's about the same era.
wasagachris: Do you know if your trailer has a blue wire for the charge line?
Old 01-30-2011, 11:19 PM   #25
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
I have the original Owners Manual for my Argosy with the wiring diagram for the exterior lights. Your trailer may be wired the same. If you look at the converter and it is the original; it will have a 30 amp fuse and if a Blue (charge line) wire connects to that fuse holder, chances are your trailer is wired the same.
Now these will be the wires inside the trailer. If you have a receptacle on the front of the trailer, they will be the wires connected to the back of that receptacle.
The Argosy colors are as follows:

Yellow = brakes
White = Ground/common
Blue = charge line
Green = tail and marker lights
Brown = Right turn/Stop
Red = Left turn/Stop.
Black = backup lights
The same colors as mine.
The colors probably will not match the colors in the UCord because it is probably wired to todays standard. Which are as follows:
According to e-trailer.com
White = Ground/common Correct
Blue = Brakes Correct
Green = Tail and marker lights Brown wire
Black = Battery charge line Correct
Red = Left turn/Stop Yellow wire
Brown = Right turn/Stop Green wire
Yellow = Auxillary (maybe backup lights) Purple wire

All that is required is to match the colors to the Function and everything should work out.
Also according to e-trailer.com the position of the wires depends on whether the connectors are flat or round pins.
Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

I can`t remember how my TV was setup. Are you sure your color pattern is correct.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:26 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I'll double check and post again tomorrow. Need to get some sleep. Can't believe you're up this late. Eastern Time zone and all. I spent a lot of time in the 90's working in Whitby. In the middle of winter of all times.
Be back tomorrow.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:33 AM   #27
x

XXXX , XXXX
I just pulled my umbilical apart to look at it. To modify the TV end to match up with the airstream 70`s pattern three wires must be moved. They are as follows:
Position 2 calls for a blue wire for thr brake controller output, connect the yellow wire from the umbilical here.
Position 4 calls for a black wire for the 12VDC charge line, connect the blue wire from the umbilical here.
Position 7 the center pin calls for a purple wire for the reverse lights connect the black wire from the umbilical here.
The rest stay the same
Position 1 white for ground
Position 3 green wire for right turn and stop light
Position 5 red(not yellow as e-trailersays) wire for the left rurn and stop light
Position 6 brown wire for the running lights.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:57 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Couldn't wait.

The Argosy drawing is really hard to follow. Hope you can read it. Below is a pdf that Minno drew up when we were helping lucymcdog with her wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Argosy Wiring.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	121064  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf umbilical wiring.pdf (18.8 KB, 36 views)
Old 01-31-2011, 08:59 AM   #29
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Hey. Thanks for the offer TG and the wiring and fridge advice everyone. What is an umbillical? I also got lost when talking about switching wiring around. The Tv wiring worls. Nothing on the trailer lit up.
All I meant about switching wires around (and it's easy to try) is take the end of the umbilical that you had plugged into the truck, and try it in the trailer. Only IF IT FITS, mind you.

Then, obviously, you have to take the end you had plugged into the trailer, and plug it into the truck. Again, only if it fits.

I'm not kidding: on my '74 trailer, that solved everything. It may or may not for you, but it's worth a try, you just never know.

Quote:
Should have heeded the leaks first advice Aage. Lol We got our first rain today and well we found out where some leaks are. When it dries up guess we will be sealing some windows. The vents stayed dry though.
There's a saying I love (because I have found it to be true so many times): Experience is what we get when we don't get what we wanted.

Quote:
Is silicone really bad? Because thats all we have.
Yes, it is really, really bad. You will rue the day you use it if you do.

Sometimes the big box stores will carry it: Vulkem 116. Try them ASAP. In the meantime if you're getting the Nile River in your trailer, use that blue low-tack tape to stop the leaks. It won't last long, but it's better than nothing...

Good luck, and don't give up!
Old 01-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
wasagachris: Don't know why the green and brown seem to be different. The Argosy drawing is really a mess. The identity arrows are not pointing at the things they should be. I think the ones that identify the turn signals are reversed with the ones next to them ie backup lights and turn signal. Because some of them have multiple connections across the back of the trailer.
The green wire appears to be the tail lights and brown the right turn/brake lights.
The black wire looks like the backup lights.
I couldn't swear that the Argosy is wired this way. It's been over a year ago and I just made the thing work the way it should.
But if they can get 5 out of the 7 wired up correctly, it shouldn't be too difficult to straighten out the brown and green. If it is a problem.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:56 PM   #31
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
wasagachris: Don't know why the green and brown seem to be different. The Argosy drawing is really a mess. The identity arrows are not pointing at the things they should be. I think the ones that identify the turn signals are reversed with the ones next to them. Becuse some of them have multiple connections across the back of the trailer.
Actually your right. I was tired last night and the e-trailer site is somewhat confusing.
Green is for running lights in the trailer and brown is for right turn and stop light. I think e-trailers site is wrong.
Like I said I took apart my umbilical last night and looked at it. Each wire terminal is numbered and color coded. I wired it up as I said in my earlier post and it worked fine. It did come in handy that my TV has a built in wiring information right at the umbilical connection point. I only moved the three wires for brakes,charge line and reverse lights and the rest stayed in ther correct numbered and color coded positions. This way I can tow any new trailer with the TV and only my umbilical will work on the airstream.
I have heard of others who have purposely miswired the umbilical as a security feature. For example the normal connection point for running lights is actually connected to the brakes, that way if a thief tries to steal it in the night as soon as he hooks up the umbilical and turns on his headlights the brakes are applied. Squealing trailer tires will attract a lot of attention. Others have reversed the turn signals so that the trailer will signal incorrectly and maybe an alert police officer will stop them for a moving violation.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:10 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Wire colors

Maybe it's because there are different wire colors in different cables. This particular cable does not have a purple wire.

Red, Green, Yellow, White, Black, Blue, & Brown

7 Conductor
Old 01-31-2011, 01:37 PM   #33
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Here are some diagrams that can be handy (click for larger image,as usual):
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7-way truckplug66-81.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	121088   Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring_7pole.jpg
Views:	1712
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	121089  

Attached Images

Old 01-31-2011, 02:32 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Found It

I found the notes I made when I installed a new UCord on the trailer. This is the 7 wire connector with the flat blades. Since I don't use backup lights the center pin is not used.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trailer Plug Wiring.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	121090  
Old 01-31-2011, 02:56 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
wasagachris: Here is one from EHow.com with even more colors. Maybe the standard has changed again. I don't know. Note there is either red or black for the +12 volts, depending on the cable you get. I matches the one you first listed as far as "Green" being right turn and "Brown" being tail/marker. If the cable has a red wire for +12 volts, they had to change the color code assignment, that's how we wind up with the changes in the green, yellow and brown wiring assignments.

I guess the only thing consistent about trailer wiring is the inconsistency.

Wiring Standards

Green Wire: Right Turn Signal
Yellow Wire: Left Turn Signal
Brown Wire: Tail Lights, License Plate Light, Marker Lights
White Wire: Ground
Blue Wire: Brakes
Red (or Black) Wire: +12 Volt Accessories
Orange: Auxiliary Power

This is the most commonly used standard, but others are possible

Old 01-31-2011, 03:32 PM   #36
x

XXXX , XXXX
Well all we can do is wait for the OP to post in what they exactly have for an umbilical and what color the wires are. Like I said move htree wires from airstream standard pattern and it all works on my TV.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:17 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
Tracing out wires can be frustrating especially when you have to convert colors and look backwards at the back end of a plug. I tried several times and gave up. I took all the wires off and hooked a battery charger to the plug on the trailer once I was sure of the ground and then started marking wire positions by what light or other thing worked. I then started tracing out power from the TV. This took time but if I had started this first I would have saved lots of frustration.
AL’ UM- MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:13 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
My good success with the trailer 7-way plug as well as the umbilical wire was to first buy a 7-way tester and confirm my tow vehicle plug was wired correctly as indicated by the tester.

Then I reverse wired the trailer 7-way plug using the 7-way tester. To do this I plugged the 7-way tester into the trailer 7-way plug and then I just connected the wires to conform to the tester. Then I wired the umbilical to be identical on both ends . . . that is . . . reversible. I plugged it in and after reversing two wires on the umbilical, it worked perfect.

I re-did a lot on the trailer pertaining to the 7-way. A previous owner replaced the 7-way at some point. The previous owner removed the fuse panel, opened all the grounds, disconnected the breakaway switch, and jumper wired the tongue jack. I installed a new breakaway switch, new fuse panel, soldered all connections, installed new wires to all the tie-ins, and bought a new molded end umbilical.

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:49 PM   #39
Team Keira

1975 31' Sovereign
Riverside , California
Thanks. We will be reading ur post as we try and fix this. Keep i updated.
teamkeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:09 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Have you determined if your trailer has the same color wires as my Argosy?
Does it have an umbilical cord that is removable at the trailer or is it permanently wired in.
Are you still without 120 volt AC power.
Do you know how to use a multi meter? If not and you want to learn let me know.

Tags
1975 sovereign, sovereign