RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
x

XXXX , XXXX
Full Monte II or the fun begins again?

I got home last night at 2:30AM from a trip tp North Carolina to pick up the latest addition to the fleet. 42hrs on the road in 2 1/2 days. The trip was not without hassles. The border held me up for 3 hrs last night because they thought I had undervalued the trailer and were threatening to sieze it. The PO didn't help by hanging up on them when they called. I was about 50 miles from home and blew a tire. It damaged some of the belly and one outrigger.
It is a 75 31' Soverign rear bath.
I had a good look at it today while cleaning out the PPO's junk. Here's what I found so far.
1) Rear bath floor completely rotted out. I can see daylight between the floor and the wall. The toilet is falling through the floor as well.
2) It's missing one outside compartment door and the inside door for the lawn chair storage.
3) Most of the kitchen tambour doors are swollen and jammed.
3) All the windows, lift up, vista view,stacks and wing windows are leaking and the tint has failed. These windows are different than my 73. You can't seperate them and clean them up without drilling out the frame and hinge rivets and splitting the frames. The problem is getting the gaskets-NOT AVAILABLE.
4)The PPO cut a hole in the lawnchair storage cabinet and installed a television.
5) The shore power cord is cobbled together with 2 sets about 100' of household wire and connected to a 15 AMP plug. Can't figure out why somebody would do this.
6) All the drapes and drape tracks have been removed.
7) The only appliance that I have tried so far is the Air Conditioning. It works and is a newer carrier model.
8)there is alot of skin damage to 2 sections of the front end cap, one of the front banana wraps, both lower sections of the rear end cap have the elephant ears installed. there is also new damage to the side wrap aft of the rear wheel curbside.Most of the clear coat has failed and the shell will need a polish to make it look good.
9)The axle height seems O.K. but all the tires are weather checked and the PPO installed different rims which are all rusty.P.S. the spare is good.
10)The interior front end cap has a large crack in it.
11)The range is very rusty as is the fridge.
12) looks like all the plumbing has been replaced but some of it has been disconnected.
13) The roadside window awning is missing and the main awning is ripped and the main arms are siezed.
I'm not sure if I want to get into this one. Anybody want to buy a project?
Here's some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roadside.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	380.5 KB
ID:	112014   Click image for larger version

Name:	curbside.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	422.0 KB
ID:	112015  

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	112016   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	380.7 KB
ID:	112017  

Name:	bed.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	112018   Click image for larger version

Name:	couch.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	112019  

Name:	living room lookin forward.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	112020   Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen counter.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	112021  

Name:	pantry & fridge.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	112022   Click image for larger version

Name:	bedroom cabinets.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	112023  

wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hey WC,

I thought I had posted a reply to this before. OE must have kicked in and I lost it instead of posting it... Oh well.

The bathroom sounds pretty darn close to what we had with Little Girl. The only thing holding up the floor and toilet was the black tank and it's almost rusted out metal box. We had all the hatches, but not of them we actually installed on the trailer. Gorilla tape was used extensively to hold things together while we brought her home.

Anyway, have you thought any more about this new project? Or will it be sold as is? Just wondering – not looking to buy her.

MC
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hey Chris I actually bought this one for a fellow forum member who is in Scotland. He wanted a cheap one to fix and export to Scotland. I have advised him about the condition and he has decided to pass on it.
I spent some time giving it a thorough clean top to bottom inside as well as a thorough scrubbing down outside.
I've tested a few of the appliances, the A/C and the fridge work as does the furnace fan. Water pump runs and the univolt, original radio and all the lights work.
I rolled out the awning but the fabric is seperating from the trailer in a couple of spots.
By far the worst damage is to the rear bathroom floor.
I've still got to finish mine and winter is rapidly approaching here. So I am going to try and sell it for what I have into it. If I can't sell it I will just keep it here and do it over in the spring after I finish mine.
The problem is what am I going to do with 2 31' A/S when I don't even have time to use one. I guess it could be a huge lawn ornament.
Do you know anybody looking for one? I could be convinced into a finders fee if you have a buyer.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
x

XXXX , XXXX
The Sovereign has a new home here in Ontario. i sold it yesterday to a really nice guy in Mount Albert. He has a special events business and intends to restore it and use it for promotional uses and it will also double as accomodations for him while staying at the events. Look forward to his posts showing the changes.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Congratulations on the sale of the excess 31 footer. Sounds like it is going to a good home.

I don't know what there is about these things, but we've been looking seriously at a 68 Tradewind that is in excellent condition inside but needs axles and three windows. Guess I could still park one next to the house....so many toys....