Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2015, 11:47 AM   #1

Bought a new to me 1975 Twinkie!

This beast needs some work and I have a tendency to go overboard but hopefully I can find the right balance with this project. It's kind of part glamping, part bug out home and part actual home I plan to live in when I buy a small plot of land in an industrial area of the city.

The first question I have is, are there any friendly airstream people in Denver I can show the trailer to in person and get some thoughts on it overall? Sometimes I over think things and get into a little bit of trouble with a project that didn't need to be so complicated.

The biggest issue is some rust and failing back section(can see through the floor) and a local shop says $3-4k to remedy it.
Nothing seems to work, including the back up lights.

Soooo....The Plan:
Pull the top off, replace the frame with a newly fabricated, stronger and epoxy coated frame. New axles, brakes, wheels and tires $7500 quote from the same shop and I think that's the best route to go if I want to do this once in 50 years.
Similar overall layout but convertible bed/couch in front and a queen in the rear.
Modern/industrial chic look inside
Mirror ceiling
Steam shower(I said glamping!)
Full polish mirror finish exterior(makes it feel larger inside imo)
Solar panels in the roof
Lots of water storage and possible grey/rain water collection but not sure yet how that'll work just yet
Extra batteries
Led lighting and usb charge ports throughout
Laundry in the bedroom(this is kind of like the steam shower in levels of excess but in the spirit of making this my little 178sqft self contained sanctuary I want to do it)
Bedroom shelving and under bed storage
Larger refrigerator
Paint the original oven(considered microwave but I think the oven is pretty efficient overall.
Bigger single sink
Small wood burning stove
Tint the windows
Interior mounts for two motorcycles(I actually pulled it out from tn to co with a motorcycle in the back)
Foldable work bench with tool storage
Undecided on the current roll up cabinets
Bike/ski racks on the back
This is all so silly but I have the bug!

Anyway, hope there is someone local who wants to dive into this with me

Thanks everyone!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1426873578.588286.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	234615Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1426873605.388515.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	234616Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1426873638.160185.jpg
Views:	107