Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Cabot , Vermont
Appraisal on '74 Sovereign

Hello,
I purchased a 74 sovereign land yacht (center bath) and did some light remodeling inside and am now wondering what a fair asking price for the unit would be, in case I have to sell it next spring. With the copious knowledge of you folks on the forum, I was hoping to get an idea what the value of this rig is currently. The water needs to be repaired, and I've never done this and assume that will be an expensive fix, but all the other appliances work flawlessly. Take a look and please send me your rough ideas. Thanks so much!
Elliott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glamourshot.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	548.0 KB
ID:	67649   Click image for larger version

Name:	entrance_small.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	67650  

Click image for larger version

Name:	sofa_small.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	67651   Click image for larger version

Name:	fromsofa_small.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	67652  

elliottkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Centralia , Washington
A year ago I paid $10,000 for my 73 Overlander.

For comparison, I'll try and list some of the things that in my view added to it's value.

1. It has Zip Dee awnings on all 4 sides, they are all in perfect condition.

2. The floor was replaced.

3. All of the appliances &c. (furnace, stovetop, oven, cat. heater, refrig., elec. system, plumbing) were rebuilt, and the work on them was guaranteed. (I purchased from a dealer)

4. The hot water heater was new.

5. It was guaranteed not to leak, and did not through the hard Seattle winter rains.

6. All the 'soft goods' were new, and very nicely done.

7. It had new wheels and tires.

8. Everything worked as it should.

9. New, nice carpeting was installed.

10. Cabinets &c. are all very close to orig.

11. It came with a good deal of paperwork, including service manual, invoices, &c. plus a number of WBCCI artifacts as the PO was apparently a past Unit President.

12. It came with a clear title history.

13. The exterior is straight, but appears to have never seen a bit of wax, so looks quite rough.

14. The axles have not been replaced, and likely that will be needed soon.

When I purchased it I needed to, from day 1, be able to fulltime in it for 3 months through the winter as my work called me to be away from home. It performed flawlessly through that trial. Since then some minor issues have emerged, but we have used it a great deal, and I think those are to be expected given it's age.

In all, I think that the 10,000 I paid was quite likely at the very top end of what such a trailer was worth, but I think that the restoration work that was performed made it a good value for me.
www.cameron-bailey.com
73Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
I would say that this trailer baised on the work you have done (very clean looking) and the work you have not done (the stuff you cant see) would be as low as $5000 and as high as $9000. If this trailer had been fully worked over, I feel you could get as high as $20,000. The year and size in todays market price is not that good on this trailer. It amazes most people that the smaller the size the more money they are worth in todays market. There are a lot of 70's trailers out there! So there are not as rare as the 50's and 60's.

I will say you have done a good job in what you have done! And in time the market for 70's trailers will get stronger as less and less of the 60's are available.

But spring is a long time from now in the crazy time we are in.... so hold tight enjoy it and try agian in a year!

Todd
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
I have a 1073 31' Excella which is a very similar unit with some upgrades and more extensive interior. Those difference don't make much difference in value in my view. You units looks very clean, no major skin problems, clean interior and the claim that all systems work with th exception of the "water". This could be a problem as this could include supply, drainage, holding tanks, etc. If damaged, these could present an expensive repair. The axels look to be good from the stance in the photos. If the electrical and brakes, etc. are good this could be a very nice purchase for someone.

If possible, get the "water" checked and working and this would be valued at$15,000 to $20,000. I bought my unit with multiple problems needing addressed - new axels, refrigerator, plumbing redo, floor repair with new covering and general clean up and refurbishing - for $5,000. Axels, refrigerator, weather stripping and some running lights, rear tag assembly and wiring for a 7 prong flat plug, tires, recert tanks have added another $3,000 to date with an estimated $3,000 more to bring it to supreme condition. This will take any hours but is cheaper that a pshchiatrist and I enjoy this type of work. It will be done right and will garner much more pride.

Most buyers want a unit that is ready to go with systems demonstrated to show that they are functional. That alone is worth a premium to own the best box on the road. Good luck and just think like a buyer and you will get your price. Have an answer for any question that could be asked by the new or experienced buyer.

Joe
Alumin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
By all means repair water problem,it will increase the value 2 fold of what it would cost.IMO dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
My "partially restored" 71 Tradewind with new upholstery and appliances (except fridge) new floor was appraised at 10K and change. Watch ebay to get a feel for what simialar units are selling for. People say the 2 single things that increase the value the most are exterior polish and new flooring.

Tags
1974, sovereign