Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2020, 09:25 AM   #101
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
The water heater bypass allows you to isolate the water heater when you winterize so you don’t have to fill t with antifreeze.

I’ve never felt the need to fill my tank from the city water inlet. The few times I’ve left a full hookup site and needed to leave with s full water tank I was unhooking anyway so I just filled up with water then.

I do t think there is anyway to keep water from freezing, so if you add an outside shower, just put valves inside to isolate it during cold weather.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:06 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
My friend wanted a dirty dog and foot sprayer in his trailer. They boondock a lot so a city water sprayer wasn't ideal for them. We plumbed one in the curbside cargo compartment. He can open the door, hook up his hose, and spray away with his 12v pump and fresh water tank as the supply.

I accused him of just wanting to squirt his wife while she was napping under the awning.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:31 AM   #103
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by andymeyer View Post
We are STRUGGLING to get a gloss finish on our cabinets and benches and beds. I am not sure if I could paint an asphalt driveway black at times.
What kind of finish are you using? I used Pettit Paint Z-Spar Captain's Varnish 1015 to get a great finish. It takes about 4 coats, wet sanding with 220 in between coats to 320 before the last coat. The foam brushes from Amazon seem to work better than the Home Depot ones, could be my imagination. Be sure to never use the product from the can, pour it into a square hand-held paint pail. Keep a wet edge, and don't go back over previously painted sections (unless there's a drip). If you can, paint everything on the flat, but don't lay on excessive amounts, as it dries (eventually) with a wobbly finish.
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:10 PM   #104
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Lincoln University , Pennsylvania
Making Progress!

We've been hard at work... Association told us we can't keep the trailer here after the 15th of Sept. so we have been working hard.

Center part of the ceiling is in - a bunch of 3W LED lights, the same panels as our flooring, and some aluminum trim. Still planning to add some colored LED's as an accent light. Got rid of the ugly air conditioner panel - had a couple of cracks, but was just plain UGLY!. Tucked the switch box up as tight as I could and 3D printed some vents (inlet vent is in the works right now - printing the brackets - louver is done.) The new outlet vent actually sends air to both ends of the trailer and seems to flow a LOT more air than the stock vent. My bride just wants a little louver added to blow some cool air down in the kitchen area.

The StreetSide bed and cabinets are all in. Mostly built from 1x2 and 1x3 poplar - reasonably light and strong. Now to get my little girls mattress made - we are trying to determine the best foams for a mattress unless someone's got some good suggestions. We were planning on 4" of extra firm and 2" of medium firm foam so she can flip which side she likes. Have a switch in to select AC or Microwave - not sure if we'll need this, but we have the option. Still need to run the USB cables for the tank and electrical monitors, but that's not a big deal.

The electrical stuff is all tucked in under the front bench. Inverter isn't connected yet, but everything else is. Plan is to have the inverter selectable - if it's off, 120 shore power powers everything. If the inverter is turned on, all house power goes through the inverter (just the outlets - bathroom, kitchen and utility. Fridge, micro, AC, and the streetside outlet by the microwave remain on shore power, along with the converter. If there's no shore power, then the only things powered by the inverter are available. Have wires for solar if we decide to add. Have room for 3 large house batteries - maybe squeeze four if so desired. Right now we've got 1 and it seems to run lights, etc... for 2 - 3 days of working out there.

I put the original doorbell back in - had to keep that - sounds too cool.

Bathroom is coming together. Using a linoleum product for the shower walls - shiny white. The floor is the blue glass tile that my bride put in. She's an awesome tiler. Working on getting counters for everything built... Plan is Cambria Quartz - white or black - any thoughts here? Need to order a new toilet - thoughts on this - what's the ideal these days?

Kitchen! Finally! it looks like a kitchen. We can't decide on the RecPro 20" or the Furrion 17" range - any suggestions on which? Someone says that the Furrion can't go less than 350F. Can't make my brides Bacon - cooked for four - six hours at 220F with some magic dust - delicious stuff! Stainless sink.

Drawers and doors - gonna buy them from one of these online shops who knock these things out fast - any suggestions? Simple shaker style doors.

Painting - Ughhh... We are biting the bullet and having someone who can paint, paint. We are getting quotes on this - hopefully not to painful since we can drop almost everything off - if not just leave the trailer with them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200906_184604.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	377869   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200906_184646.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	377870  

Name:	20200906_184703.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	377871  
andymeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:16 PM   #105
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Nothing like a deadline to keep things moving. Your trailer is really coming along.

You need to go buy a farm with say 400 acres around you so you can have your trailer on your ground without "rules and rules". I know such things are good for "community living" and keep guys like me from leaving an old truck in the yard for a few years, or maybe a couple of goats and some chickens, or some crazy modern art statue.

Keep us posted on progress.

David
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
Old 09-07-2020, 08:44 AM   #106
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
I'd be careful about those LEDs, especially over the setees. Point lights like that can shine uncomfortably when seated. I wound up re-thinking mine when it turned out that they were too bright. I left the ones over the galley work surfaces, and they worked well to illuminate just the surface for the cook, and not turn the entire trailer into an operating room.

Maybe little difusers mounted over the lights?
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:20 PM   #107
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Lights...

Good point on the bright lights - didn't think about that part of it - they do have a ~2" diffuser on them already, but more could prove better. We did get them as 2700k lights and they are all dimmable. In addition, I'm going to have some other strip LED lights that shine sideways from under the center ceiling section, but these will be very low light - more for ambiance.

Anyone have thoughts on the Furrion vs the RecPro ranges?
Old 09-25-2020, 08:02 PM   #108
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
So, the 15th came. We took the trailer to our storage spot. But, it's coming back as we need to work on it. Cabinets, drawers, and the shower paneling are next - maybe tomorrow. Anyone have good suggestions on someone who can knock out drawers to size for reasonable and quality work?

Andy
www.strutairstream.com
Old 09-26-2020, 09:00 AM   #109
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Woodcraft makes prefinished birch drawer sides and bottoms. You would have to put together. We've always gotten good quality things from them, and they have a good reputation.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:51 AM   #110
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Andy

How is your project coming? Haven't heard from you in a while.
My Project thread
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f22...ff-191141.html
wcronin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:57 PM   #111
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
It's been a bit...

Well, haven't been on here in a bit - life just had us running full bore - not that I'm complaining one bit.
We are close to the final stretch on the restoration... I'm down to a list that fits on one page (2 columns - engineering paper) so we're not too far away!

Shower walls! Killing us!!! Plan was whiteboard formica. Perfect for what we wanted... We used redguard on the walls, then an adhesive that's compatible with the redguard - next day, the formica curled concave on the walls!!! Nuts... Tried again a week or two later using liquid nails - good for Formica - and it curled convex!!! UGH!!! We are looking at a stiffer laminate and I may sleep in the shower to make sure nothing happens - any recommendations???

Getting drawers made, cutting drawer fronts now... making good progress here. Then countertops - my bride went and picked the countertops out today. Not sure what she picked, but I will be happy.

Flooring is in. Went down well. Plumbing mechanicals are all in (Street side). As soon as the counters and faucets are in, the runs and drains go in.

Belly is finally closed up! Just have to put one band on the rear streetside and a couple of the small fillers. Also have to seal the top of the band...

The one nut I haven't cracked is the vista view windows - what to do for trim around them on the interior... Might try 3d printing some parts... I made one pass at it and it was 6 parts assembled - not ideal. I have a concept of the 2 ends plus two aluminum pieces for the long runs... Gonna try that next.

I think we'll be campable in a few weeks - hopefully in time for Oshkosh.

Still need to install the data system for the electrical and plumbing, along with the inverter, but that's not too bad to do (at least I say that)...

We're making progress at least.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:30 PM   #112
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
We missed you. Thanks for the update.

Oshkosh: Wow, that's a worthy goal. Attending Air Adventure is on my bucket list. Would love to see the aircraft, but too many people I think. I read about it in the EAA magazine.

I used FRP for my shower walls. It was glued to plywood with the recommended FRP adhesive. It adhered well and stayed stable.

I use Weldwood contact adhesive for my countertops with good success. But that's on 3/4 ply and is a horizontal surface that doesn't get too wet.

Warped laminates fit right in with the late seventies Airstreams.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1806 Bath Shower Wall Installed 2-800x600.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	398007  
Old 04-24-2022, 03:57 PM   #113
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Progress has been way slow. 3 kids keeping us busy, work, my brides' business, etc... Way too slow, but we're getting there. Oshkosh I promised. Not sure which one.

All of the pressure side plumbing is in, just got the last fittings for the drain side so maybe next weekend I'll test it all out and find who knows what. Still need to put the final output fitting on the sewer pipe and the rods for opening and closing the valves, along with some aluminum to make that look nice.

My drawer slides have been on order since October - they are saying June right now - hoping that's true. Drawers are sitting in my garage waiting... Still need to make the drawer and door fronts and the closet door. Bathroom door is half done. Counter tops are in and done.

Need to install the table base - forgot to reinforce this area before installing belly pan. Might have to put a service panel in the belly. May put the base in first and if it's too wobbly, put the service panel in and reinforce it.

Still debating between running USB wires or LoRa radio for the tank monitors and electrical sensing panel...

Wife found ants again - any ideas to stop them for good besides parking this thing on Mars? If you look back 7 pages, that's why this whole thing started! I've got to stop them, else she'll pull the floors up again!
Old 04-24-2022, 06:54 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello again from Colorado: Maybe ant poison used carefully will stop them. We had to reinforce the front subfloor of my friend's 76 Sovereign as he wanted a dinette up there some day. Here is a photo of the 1x2 steel square tubing we used. It fit tight between the A frame rails and the subfloor. This reinforcement certainly took the flex out of the 1/2" plywood.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1911 Frame Front Floor Supports-800x600.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	415024  
Old 04-24-2022, 07:13 PM   #115
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by andymeyer View Post
Progress has been way slow. 3 kids keeping us busy, work, my brides' business, etc... Way too slow, but we're getting there. Oshkosh I promised. Not sure which one.

Not off topic (technically, since you wrote it!) but this exact same quote has been posted by many home-builders who are talking about finishing their Glasairs... Zenairs... or any number of Bonanzas, Cessnas, even some... uh, Travelairs! But not usually about taking their Airstream to OSH! But, I'll commiserate with you!

(Sometimes it's just the Pitts!)
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:50 AM   #116
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Terro ant killer: put a few drops on a piece of coated cardboard (provided), and keep replenishing as the ants come in droves ksto take it back to their nests. Lasts for a day or so, and then the ants are gone. Repeat if you see more ants in the future. This works for sweet eating ants. If they're something else, you may need to experiment. Once, we had other types, and adding Mountain Dew to the Terro attracted them. Go figure. They will climb up into the trailer from the tires or any other point touching the ground, so surrounding those points with borax works to keep them away but must be replenished when it rains.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote