Old 07-10-2018, 09:11 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
100 Mile House , British Columbia
And the demo begins

Good morning fellows Airstreamers, far and wide. Dbj216 suggested I start a journal of repairs and progress. Good idea.

I live in British Columbia, about 5 hours northeast of Vancouver, BC. Last Tuesday I drove 10 hours to the southeast corner of the province to pick up the trailer. Unlike what I've seen south of the 49th, selection up north is slim at best. Over the past four months, I've seen a handful for sale, and they're usually overpriced. So, with fingers crossed, I went to check the trailer out.

I didn't (really) know what to expect since pictures only show what the seller wants you to see. Well, this old gal was in rough shape. Good body and no broken windows, which was a plus. The interior stank—a combination of old plywood, filthy rug and 45 years of dust.

Thankfully, the brakes were good (no running lights so no night driving) and the brake lights worked. The trailer drove straight and true, no wandering. Got it home the next day and thought, "What the @!?#$ have I done and what exactly did I buy(?)!" Any of you have the save response when bringing home your rig? That was less than a week ago.

The interior is nearly gutted. Nothing works—maybe the fridge. Correction: some lights work and the old convection heater works (although at a mere 30 years of age, I'm sure that'll be going too). Stove might, but it's too dirty to tell. The black tank was never emptied ("Oh yes," said the seller, "tanks are ready to go."), so that was a lovely surprise.

Actually, I'm glad to be gutting it. After these many decades and various owners, I've discovered suspect wiring additions that would never pass any inspection. For that reason alone, I'm glad I've removed the furniture.

The floors are OK, but there is rot in the rear bedroom (under the big window) and to the side of the front door. Quick straw poll folks, but I think I might as well take all the flooring out and discover what lies beneath. No poisonous snakes this far north, but we do have vermin. There is a funky smell in the trailer and not sure if it's the black tank's gift, old plywood, or what.

That's it for today.
Tony

[/FONT]

Old Farm Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Do it right. Or you will do it again.
brick

brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
It all sounds par for the course so far and sounds like you got a great plan. Now that you've started your own thread all your questions can be asked here (or in the appropriate topic area). All opinions will be posted here even the ones you had no idea you wanted or needed.

You might actually be headed for a shell off. Time will tell when you actually get all that stuff off the floor/wood.

Only violation so far is we don't see a whole lot of pictures yet :-)

if you are not going to share them with us at least take them for yourself so you can remember how it all went back together.

If you run out of photograph space you can always become a supporting member here for $20 a year and post pictures and words Ad nauseam.

Welcome to the aluminum obsession.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
Early Bird , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
Do it right. Or you will do it again.
brick
following brick.........lol
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:16 AM   #5

1962 24' Tradewind
Old Hickory , TN
Been There Recently

I'm glad I decided to remove the sub floor on the 62' Trade Wind I recently purchased on a farm in Michigan. It had an annoying smell as well and I was determined to get it out. Glad I did because there was a pet cemetery under my floor. Here is a sample:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Renovation 1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	316579

Name:	Renovation 21.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	316581

Name:	Renovation 19.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	316582
JohnnyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks for the update! Assume you are familiar with the recent Love Shack thread?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ck-183431.html

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:31 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Good Luck with the reno from a fellow northerner, I'm in Calgary.

Sounds like you could be in for the Full Monty, I'm only slightly ahead of you on my 72' Tradewind.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f125...ty-169494.html

Dave
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:52 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Haute-Aboujagane , New Brunswick
We are in New Brunswick. I have to agree that Airstreams north of the border are in short supply. We bought ours 2 years ago and I have not seen anymore at the price we paid.

We did a complete shell off restauration and I am glad we did it. We are at the end of rebuilding process. Good luck with your project.
chrisetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Congratulations on diving in!

We have a '74 Sovereign as well. We replaced our floor with the shell on. It can be done either way, and there are advantages and disadvantages to both. Shell-on worked well for us.

There are some photos of our rebuild here: Moving up to a Sovereign. Since it's been 4 years since it I last posted to that thread I guess I should do an update. The trailer has been useable for quite some time, but I'm still working on it.

Here's a teaser...

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:10 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Knoxville , TN
Hey Tony whats up with the renovations. I was hopping to see some work being done. And besides misery loves company.

Eric 26 Argo is offline   Reply With Quote