Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2003, 08:18 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Dickinson , Texas
Am I the only one?

Anyone else out there have a '75 Sovereign?
old_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 04:30 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Billings , Montana
Of course there is. I'm some what new in the Airstream Forum, but had the old 75 for awhile. See some of our travel pics in the members area.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:26 AM   #3
MrTimbo

1975 31' Sovereign
Newberry , South Carolina
Well there is at least 3 of us now, I just found the forum yesterday, and still exploring. This appears to be a great source of information.
MrTimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 04:38 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Billings , Montana
Welcome to the forum. Anything I can help you with in the way of advice, don't hesitate to give me a shout.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:05 PM   #5

Count me in on the '75 Sovereign. 1st year A/Ser. How are your vista windows holding up?
bobkdarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 07:21 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Billings , Montana
Vista Vue Windows

All but one are ok. The one that isn't looks like it's growing some rare fungus. Have had other things to worry about , so hav'nt tried to tackle that problem yet. Besides, it's on my wife's side of the bedroom.

mtbob
Old 04-11-2003, 08:13 AM   #7
MrTimbo

1975 31' Sovereign
Newberry , South Carolina
Welcome and Vista View

Welcome to the 75 Sovereign forum, maybe we can get some topics going about our AS's. The vista views on mine pretty much all have condensation between the glass, other than that they are fine. It amazes me everytime in the morning when you open the vista view up the amount of light that comes through those little windows. If any one has suggestions on getting rid of the condensation, I sure would like to hear that.

Tim
MrTimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 11:53 AM   #8

'75 Sovereign

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply.

My vista windows (and several other areas of the A/S) leak. I have read most the postings here and at www.tompatterson.com about leaks and leaks specific to vv windows.

I am lucky in that my A/S has the snap ring and plexi interior window so the fix will not be that bad.

I was bumming having the leaks but was relieved to read that others have similar problems and that a fix can be made. Also glad to see that the roof of the A/S does not have too many seams to seal.

Looking forward to additional help from A/S forums members

Best,

Bob
bobkdarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 02:41 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Billings , Montana
Vista Vue

Try searching the forum for info on the vista vue windows. CanAm RV also has info on repair and parts. Just installed a new Bravura toilet in place of the old 75 model. What a feeling you get on a new seat!! Repacked the wheel bearings and installed new grease seals for the new season. Kind of in a holding pattern waiting for the weather to make up its mind before we take off.
Old 04-18-2003, 02:59 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Talking

I live in on 2 days a week.. in Frenchtown, NJ.. Mine is hardwired to my plant. It really is "a rv down by the river".. I put a lot of work into it. New AC heater(was the univolt all along) new Ref. new panels don't match.. It is a great product.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:50 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Hi, We have a 75 Sovereign. We are the 2nd owner and have owned it just over a year. We don't have a vehicle to tow it with so have had to hire someone to tow it to the location we used last summer. Right now it is in storage, but we visit it lovingly and frequently. We are hoping to find a place where we can afford to have it as a "weekend retreat". We have an A/S motorhome as well so we'll travel in it more than the TT. We are 2nd owner of the MH as well. Aren't these "silver tubes" just the best? We and the cats just love them.

Alice, Larry, KimChee and Squeak
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 08:43 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

My 75 Sovereign

We just bought a 75 31 ft. soverign and also do not yet have a tow vehicle but are actively looking for one here in Oregon. The trailer is in great condition EXCEPT for the water system. Someone let it freeze and after chasing over a dozen leaks I've decided to replace the whole set of water lines with cpvc.

Anyone know how much the 31 ft. Soverign weighs? I've been told to look for a number up front somewhere but can't find it. I want to buy a 3/4 or 1 ton truck but my wife is keen on some sort of SUV. I'm concerned about towing capacity. We might compromise and get an F250/350 with crew cab or maybe an older dodge cummins with a quad. Any suggestions or thoughts about these choices?

Thank you. This is a great forum. Lots of friendly folks.
Marc
Marc Marenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 08:58 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: My 75 Sovereign

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Marenco
We just bought a 75 31 ft. soverign and also do not yet have a tow vehicle but are actively looking for one here in Oregon. The trailer is in great condition EXCEPT for the water system. Someone let it freeze and after chasing over a dozen leaks I've decided to replace the whole set of water lines with cpvc.

Anyone know how much the 31 ft. Soverign weighs? I've been told to look for a number up front somewhere but can't find it. I want to buy a 3/4 or 1 ton truck but my wife is keen on some sort of SUV. I'm concerned about towing capacity. We might compromise and get an F250/350 with crew cab or maybe an older dodge cummins with a quad. Any suggestions or thoughts about these choices?

Thank you. This is a great forum. Lots of friendly folks.
Marc
As for tow vehicl.....to much engine is never a problem but too much suspension is. Stiff tow vehicle can beat on a trailer according to a few sources. I'd stick with a 3/4 ton for the softer suspension. Should be able to get all the engine options of the one ton.

The 454 3/4 burb I have was bought from a Forum member. It was used to pull a 31ft Excella and most of it's 71k were racked up with it in tow. PO told me it was a good match. Only down side is MPG. Deisel will always win that battle.

Cummings and the Powerstroke are impressive engines. I don't think you could go wrong with those choices. I personnaly (and I'm a GM head) would stay away from the pre Durmax GM's. Durmax is a good engine though.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 09:13 AM   #14
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Marc,

There should be a small plate 3X2 inches on the front roadside corner. It may be in front, or it could be on the side, but it will be near the corner. It will be by the lower beltline and have axle weight ratings and trailer weights as well stamped into it. It is held on by 4 rivets. This will be the the best way short of seeing an owners manual to check the trailer weights.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 09:46 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Tow vehicle choices

Thanks very much for this. I know this is a naive question but do they make a suburban like vehicle with a diesel? Appreciate the point about suspension. Will keep that in mind. Also, I've wondered about the "dually" thing. Is there anything worth thinking about there or is that hype and/or overkill? When did GMC start with Durmax engine? We can spend between $5,000 up to around $13,000 for a tow vehicle. In fact if anyone on the forum is selling don't hesitate to contact us...
Marc
Old 07-04-2003, 10:04 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: Tow vehicle choices

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Marenco
Thanks very much for this. I know this is a naive question but do they make a suburban like vehicle with a diesel? Appreciate the point about suspension. Will keep that in mind. Also, I've wondered about the "dually" thing. Is there anything worth thinking about there or is that hype and/or overkill? When did GMC start with Durmax engine? We can spend between $5,000 up to around $13,000 for a tow vehicle. In fact if anyone on the forum is selling don't hesitate to contact us...
Marc
For the price range you looking to spend I would look at the F250 before the body change. That's the ONLY 4 door pickup in that price range with a good engine. The after mid 94 has a better version engine that gets better MPG. Problem is they were not made with a short bed like the newer body so your talking a 25ft truck with a battle ship turning radious. Dodge didn't start sell the Quad till the last year (part of the deal when Chrysler bankrupted). You can get the extended cab in those years but the back seat is pittiful.

You can find 454 Burbs in that price range no problem. The Durmax is new but the 6.5 Turbo deisel was available in your price range.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 10:10 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Thank you.

There's a crew cab 250 with powerstroke diesel down the road for about $15,000 with 90,000 miles on it, a 97 I think. Its pretty darn long and the Ford's have the worst turning radius as it is so I'll keep that in mind. I wish now I hadn't sold my 89 ford 7.3 liter non turbo diesel. That was a great engine and pulled my 68 airstream just fine.

In deference to my wife I'll check out the suburban with diesel possibility. She'd like that.

marc
Old 07-05-2003, 09:43 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
2021 27' Globetrotter
Aguanga , California
6.5 Turbo Diesel

When you start asking about the GM 6.5 tubos the semi informed will tell you to stay away because of "problems" and low power. If you spend some time on the internet you will find the causees and solutions to those rumers.

The engine has a throttle by wire system. The solonid that acutally controlls fuel flow was mounted on the side of the pump. It throws off a lot of heat and contributes significantly to pump failure. Of course there is an outfit selling a kit to relocate it.

GM designed it's deisel to run with about half the boost that Navastar and Cummins use in the engines they sell to Ford and Doge. One outfit rebuilt a GM with lower compression and upped the boost to the same level as the other two and wouldn't you know it, the hourse power matched.

I do not beleive in the "efficient market" theory of pricing. I think the older diesel suburbans and pickups are a relative value compared to the price of similar vintage Ford.
rcmenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 09:52 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
2021 27' Globetrotter
Aguanga , California
P.S.

I forgot to say that while I think the GM is a bargain the Fords are a really great vehicle if you can swing the bucks. My neighbor buys a new powerstrock 4 door every three years. He has had very few problems, and the only reason he trades is his accountant. He tows a 30' SOB all over Idaho, frequently going east over the desert where he tows at 90 mph in 100 degree plus heat for several hours at a time !
rcmenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 12:21 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
West Lafayette , Indiana
Smile Weight and Truck size

My wife and I purchased a 75 Sovereign in June of 2002 and we really like our vacation house on wheels, "Conastoga".
If I remember correctly the manuals I have spec the trailer at around 6000 plus dry and 6700 wet ready for the road. We pull our trailer with a F-150 Supercrew equiped with tow package and a 5.4 V-8. With equalizing hitch this truck seems to handle the trailer very well. The only distance test was from Lafayette In to Mitchell (approx 180 miles) using two lane roads on the way down and four lane (I-65) on the return trip. During the four lane return trip the truck ran in over drive at 70-75 mph on flat road. If you have manuals from the year the trailer was made the tow vehicles were sedans and station wagons you don't need a monster truck to pull these trailers.
Dennis Frist is offline   Reply With Quote