Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2003, 09:07 PM   #21

Hello from another new member.
My Wife and I purchased a 75 Sovereign in Jul of this year. It is our first AS and our first travel trailer. It is pulled with a 2003 F150 4x4 with 5.4L and towing package. We have close to 1000 miles on it and the F150 has had no problems. The AS pulls like a dream.

We picked it up in IN and brought it home to KY. After a couple of days of cleaning and repair, it was off to TN for 5 days. I have replaced the power converter, water pump, and the thermostat and pilot assembly on the water heater. Now all systems are working. I think I have tail problems and will take it to Jackson Center this winter for repair.

I have learned a lot from this forum. The members are all helpful and the subjects are great. We are looking forward to many years of fun from this wonderful product. I wish we had discovered AS much earlier.
eaa52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 10:10 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Like to know more

rcmenz

Quote:
GM designed it's deisel to run with about half the boost that Navastar and Cummins use in the engines they sell to Ford and Doge. One outfit rebuilt a GM with lower compression and upped the boost to the same level as the other two and wouldn't you know it, the hourse power matched.
Having just replaced my original 6.5T diesel with a "brand new" Hummer diesel in Jan. I'd like to know more about this outfit that reworked the engine..Any leads as to who, where and when this was done?

BTW, after nearly 8 months of breaking in period, I towed my 32' A/S for the first time last week. Much better in all respects..Even the mileage was an impressive 16.7 mpg. Without the A/S, we're looking at slightly over 20 mpg.

ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 04:42 PM   #23

Crystal Lake , Illinois
Until we called Airstream for the owner's and service manuals, we thought we had purchased a '75 Sovereign two weeks ago. ( It was built in Oct. '75 .) The serial # is a '76 we were told.

1975 or 1976, Joe and I are pleased and excited new A/S owners.

Joe & Diane
Old 10-18-2003, 06:28 PM   #24
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Re: Am I the only one?

Quote:
Originally posted by old_silver
Anyone else out there have a '75 Sovereign?
Add us to the list of 75 Sovereign owners Just closed the deal today on one. Course the TV is in the shop so it has to sit at the dealers for another week or so It is the rear bath, twin bed model, (not my first choice) but the price and general condition made it hard to pass up. It is a 31' International. DW is already planning the new color scheme for it As long as she doesn't use white carpet I am happy

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 11:35 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
1993 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Mound City , Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Catfisherman
Add me to the list of this 1975 owners. Purchased a somewhat of a fixer upper and still working on it. Has a lot of potential, just need the time and funds to get it all done.
Catfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 07:44 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

"potential"

"time"

"funds"

now where have I heard ......??

mark
markus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 04:22 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Billings , Montana
Potential and time are no problem, but funds do not compute!! There is never enough of that to go around
Old 03-10-2004, 11:04 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
West Lafayette , Indiana
Yes I have a 75-31' Sovereign

I purchased my 31' Sovereign in 2001 and it was basically very sound structurally but needed cleaning. I have stripped the painted interior back to the original finish, replaced the twin rear bunks with a queen bed, new ref, new water heater, curtains, and oak flooring from the kitchen back. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
My question for my fellowing 75 A/S owners, is there a way to adjust the entrance door pitch? The doors gap in relationship to the door frame tends to widen closer to the bottom on the striker side.
Dennis Frist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 11:06 PM   #29

Albuquerque , New Mexico
Newbee

Hi All,
I just got my 75 Sovereign a couple of weeks ago. It's a rear bath twin. It's in fair shape, I'm in the process of redoing the running gear and It'll need the green carpet and curtains replaced as well as general stuff and lots of cleaning. I towed it home (300 miles) and except for some sway at 65 it towed fine. I think new tires and shocks will help a bunch and an equalizing hitch should make it tow really smooth.

My tow vehicle is a new Nissan Titan. It's a sweet vehicle and had no problem hauling it up hills. (got 13 MPG too).

Anyone know where I can get the pricing of this trailer when new? My insurance company needs to know before they will issue a policy.
trsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 05:00 AM   #30
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by trsho
Hi All,

Anyone know where I can get the pricing of this trailer when new? My insurance company needs to know before they will issue a policy.
trsho,

Welcome to the forums!

Run a search for insurance! They are trying to insure it for ACV not replacement value! We have ours currently insured for $7000, if it were to get totaled that is what I would get for it. Also watch your local tax office...ours had a tax valuation of $13,000 on our 75 ...I offered to sell it to them on the spot I am in the middle of a rehab and repair on mine so if you have any specfic questions just email or PM me.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 10:37 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
1993 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Mound City , Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Catfisherman
Potential is now turning into reality - funds are running a little low, and camping time is NOW. Replaced the twin rear beds with a queen bed, newer used water heater has been installed, all new water lines ran, curtains replaced, carpet installed throughout, TV antenna with power booster installed, purchased and installed new referator and air conditioner. Interior I believe is now completed for now and will have to save some more funds before having the exterior polished. Have insured it for a replacement costs of $7,000.00. I purchased in the mean time a Dodge Quad Cab 1500 and only had it for 21 days when I was rear ended. After 51 days in the body shop it is now back together and in running condition. Went this past week on a short try it out camping trip and the Airstream and Truck did great! (Got 12 mpg - traveling 2 and 4 lane highways 75 miles round trip). I even got in some cat fishing and caught a 38 lb Blue Cat in the river that ran behind the camp site. Already got the next camping trip planned for memorial day weekend. After that trip I guess I will have to return the local Airstream Club's Membership Chairperson's phone call, and join the local unit/WBCCI.

1975 Sovereign 31' Ctr Bath, Rear Bed
1999 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 5.9L Auto
Catfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 10:15 AM   #32

Y E S!!!!

Superb rig isn't it??? Anybody willing to make a copy of the owners manual for me? Thanks Dean
chrome dome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 06:34 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Wow what do you know. I bought chrome domes coach. Thanks Dean.

I tow with a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4, Quadcab, with the 24 valve Cummins Turbo Diesel. I love this truck. It tows the AS like it isn't even there. I towed the AS about 300 miles home at between 70-80 mph across the PA Turnpike. Some of you may be familiar with this road, a good number of hills. I averaged 17.4 MPG on the tow home. Now when I tow it to Charleston WV to visit family I'm sure that the mountains on routes 68 and 79 won't let me have that average. LOL

I have the side bath/rear twin model, and am curious how some of you put a queen bed in the rear. I have thought of this, and would love to hear about your process and to maybe see a pic.

Thanks,
Lowell
LowellN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:41 AM   #34

1975 31' Sovereign
SALEM , Oregon
Good Morning, We Have A 75 Soverign & Its Dry Weight Is 7100 Pounds, Hope This Helps You In Your Search For A Tow Vehicle, Sounds Like Any Of What You Have Already Mentioned Will Work Just Fine, Happy Traveling, Chris B. Salem Oregon
CHRIS B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 03:10 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Chevy Suburban - the ORIGINAL SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Marenco
We just bought a 75 31 ft. soverign and also do not yet have a tow vehicle but are actively looking for one here in Oregon. The trailer is in great condition EXCEPT for the water system. Someone let it freeze and after chasing over a dozen leaks I've decided to replace the whole set of water lines with cpvc.

Anyone know how much the 31 ft. Soverign weighs? I've been told to look for a number up front somewhere but can't find it. I want to buy a 3/4 or 1 ton truck but my wife is keen on some sort of SUV. I'm concerned about towing capacity. We might compromise and get an F250/350 with crew cab or maybe an older dodge cummins with a quad. Any suggestions or thoughts about these choices?

Thank you. This is a great forum. Lots of friendly folks.
Marc
Get a 2500 or 3500 Suburban with a towing package. Hell, go for the diesel dually - you'll never regret having a tow vehicle that is too robust, but you'll hate having one that's under powered. Remember you don't just want to tow, you want to STOP your trailer too.

As for replumbing, use the SEARCH tool here, there's lots of good info. Many people have chosen PEX rather than copper or PVC. My plumber friends are worried that it will put them out of the repair business within the next 10 years. It's well tested and should withstand the vibration of towing far better than the rigid PVC or copper soldering.

Welcome!

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:32 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Crosby , Texas

Yes, we have a 1975 Sovereign. It belonged to parents who traveled for some 25 years or so. Our daughters traveled/spent time with them in it also. Parents gave it to us about 4 summers ago and now we are traveling in it along with our daughter's daughters. That makes four generations traveling in the same trailer.
dghaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:32 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I'm close...got a 76 Sovereign this Fall. haven't traveled in it except to pull it home; however, it certainly came in handy during our recent ice storm. Hooked it up to the generator and turned on the central heat and the DVD player, and the pets and I were set. No power in town for a long time, but we were warm. I'm looking forward to playing in it this Summer down at the lake. By the way, we pulled it home from Michigan with a new Ford-F150, 5.4L Triton without a problem. All the power we needed.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:36 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
Got ours 5-2007, a little over 5000 miles with it so for and just getting started. Changing it from a double to rear twins.. will be easier for both us get in and out of bed. Wouldn't trade 8it for the world.
ted
davenpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:58 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
I just picked up a 1975 31' Sovereign center bath a week ago, already took it on a 3 night dry camping trip, and LOVE IT! Just need to redo the crappy aftermarket couch someone put in... Everything (major) works on it once I put in a new deep cycle battery.

ShinyTwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote