Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2003, 06:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

'77 Sovereign

Hey Craig,
Yes the price wasn't bad on the trim. Thanks. I was wondering what you thought about the price that I paid for my 77, if it was to high or not? Thanks, Bob
newworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 07:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Bob,
What did you pay for it again? I missed it on the original post. I know I paid more than I should for my '77 but the plastic coating was already off and it had a decent shine. I'm going to improve on that though. The equipment and supplies are in and spring turkey season ends next weekend. I guess I will spend my time between polishing the trailer and planting the rest of my garden.

OK, just found the thread. $5,000 sounds like a great price. I paid $7,600 and still had to put on 4 new tires. All systems were working except for a transformer on the AC which I fixed. I also replaced the Nutone because it had a broken speed shaft I was not aware of. It is in pretty good shape.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 07:25 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Hi Dave, What is the nutone? I just ordered the manuals so I'm not familiar with things at all. This will be a complete learning experience. Our first travel trailer! We are currently stripping all the paint the previous owner trashed it with and the clear coat. Today we found out the front top power vent leaks. (raining in MI.) I got a ladder and it looks like the past owners walked on it. The rivited plastic is cracked. Bob
newworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 07:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Nutone

Nutone food processing center which is no longer made. They came installed next to the sink in the Excella 500 and select others. Thousands of these things were installed in homes across the country in the 60's and 70's, maybe even the 50's but not sure. A blender, a knife sharpener and a mixing bowl came with the trailer when new but I am missing the mixer/bowl unit. They are quite expensive. The power head unit that mounts flush with the counter runs about $250 on ebay, the blender (gotta have margueritas you know) runs $46 or so and we don't want to talk about the mixer because they run over $200. A friend pulled one out of his kitchen when he put in new counters but it was in bad shape. The one I got off ebay to replace the broken one in the trailer was in excellent shape.

If you are talking about the plastic skylight on the vents, they go bad with age. There was a thread last year about how to repair it. The previous owner just revited sheet aluminum over the hole after tearing the plastic off. I have never had to worry about a leak there. You can get thin sheet alum. at Lowe's along with a rivet gun and do the job yourself.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:17 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
mt view , Arkansas
hello all new to this airstreaming just purchaced a 1977 sovergn seems to be in pretty good shape. being it is my first a/s ive got many many questions first how and what to do with the clear coating coming off the top and ends some one tell me if i got abargain on this 31 footer fridge and a/c works just a few cosmetics needed i gave 3000 for it maybe i wont hound u guys too much as we plan to do the touch ups ourself thanks for all future help
henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Once the clearcoat fails, I think you're stuck--you need to remove it. The question is, do you polish or leave it uniformly dull (not necessarily a bad look)? If you don't have significant corrosion, polishing is only a huge job. Otherwise it is a gigantic job. But really satisfying once you've done it. And there's nothing like getting other Airstreamers to go "ooh" and "ah".

You got a great price if everything is working.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:49 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
mt view , Arkansas
thanks for the reply led, we had to repair the faucet in the kitchen but moen took care of that for me also ordered new light covers from inland rv they seem like agood people to do bus with thanks again
Old 02-17-2007, 10:04 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
mt view , Arkansas
well well im back after a long time this time i need to know how much trouble it is to repair the tv antene had a worm gear put in last yr and has already jamed im thinking it is the one that came on the as thanks
Old 02-17-2007, 10:14 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry
well well im back after a long time this time i need to know how much trouble it is to repair the tv antene had a worm gear put in last yr and has already jamed im thinking it is the one that came on the as thanks
Is it a batwing, or clothesline type antenna?
Old 02-17-2007, 01:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I am thinking of removing my "clothesline" type, as I am carrying a dish, and a pair of rabbit ears. How much of a mess does it leave when you take it off??
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello Alan

Hi... No problem to remove the antenna.. Marvin has removed each one on our last 2 Argosys .. we also carry a dish..one more place less prone to leaking...
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:22 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
To remove the clothesline antenna just take the handle off inside the coach and pull the antenna staight up from the roof. You can then drill out the rivets on the roof flange and have a big hole to cover up or leave the flange as it it is and squeeze in goop of your choice to seal the 1" hole from the antenna shaft.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:12 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
mt view , Arkansas
sorry for not hanging around the other day but i had to run the ant on my a/s is the clothesline can i pull it out and stick the new batwing in and does the batwing come with the complete gears and all we are not out enough in ours to warent the purchase of a sattalite.