Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Spokane Valley , Washington
1st Project!

We recently bought a 77 Sovereign 31ft out of the Tacoma area. A gentlemen had been living out of it for many years. Everything but the propane furnace worked. The body looked good and the frame looked stolid. So we got it back to Spokane and started restoration. We soon found wood rotted and gaps in front end. The Hot water tank was not original and didn't quite fit so the sub floor around it had also rotted. Replacing the subfloor we know is for the best but we are very nervous about putting the bathroom back together. Our oringal idea was to keep the bathroom the way it was and then update the rest of the trailer. Putting a queen size bed in the front & a 10-12 ft counter top on one side & a couch & storage on the other. But with the subfloor needing to be replaced we will have to update the bathroom as well. Ill keep you all updated on our progress and any suggestion are more than welcome!
Nadya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Welcome aboard Nadya. I think it's unusual that you dont find a seventies vintage trailer with some floor rot. I replaced the rear 4 feet on my trailer about two years ago. I also wanted to minimize the amount of rearranging I did, but in hindsight, wouldnt have minded making a rear bath into a rear bedroom and then moving the bath forward. If you want to see what is involved with a rear bath rennovation, then look at my blong <points down>.

It is always a good idea to assess the condition of the frame before you get too far into the project. To do that, you need to pull off the bellypan and remove the pink fiberglass insulation. Afterward, you can use some of the rigid closed cell foam boards that won't hold moisture against the steel. I would also focus and making sure you dont have any other leaks that could cause any new work to go south in a short time. Leaks are sometimes hard to find on these trailers since the water can travel a bit between the inner and outer skins. But they do leak and you do want to control that as much as you can. Good luck and post some pics of your new rig.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:16 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
ATM photo

Project for the day~take apart the bathroom ~ take up subfloor
Old 04-22-2015, 02:36 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Figured out how to post pictures!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spring 14 204.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	236804   Click image for larger version

Name:	spring 14 210.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	236805  

Click image for larger version

Name:	spring 14 211.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	363.5 KB
ID:	236806  
Old 04-22-2015, 05:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
That looks like a bit more is apart besides the bathroom. I see lots of homegrown plumbing going on in the back. If you are doing a shell off, then you may want to consider moving the bath to the middle and putting the bedroom in the back. To me that always seemed like a nicer arrangement. Keep the pictures coming.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:30 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Stub floor issues

We are stuck!!! It's so hard to replace the subfloor with out taking the shell off! We don't have the equipment to remove it, so if anyone has tips it would be much appreciated. We have gotten the 1st three board but we are kinda stuck now. There is rotten in almost all the boards so it's gotta get done!