Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #1

1984 34' International
Stow , OH
Water system help

Hi guys,
First, I'd like to apologize if this question has been asked many times before. I haven't seen anyone ask this yet, but if I'm wrong, Im sorry. So my wife and I recently purchased a 34' 1984 Airstream International and we are renovating it (not a complete gut job, but a good amount), and we have come across a few issues, but my main concern is the water system. So last night we hooked up to a water supply and attempted to fill up our fresh water tank to test the pipes and see if there are any leaks occurring, but we were not able to get any water flowing from our tank through the pipes to our sinks.
Since this is our first go at life in an airstream, the entire water system is a bit confusing to me, and I'm attempting to wrap my head around it. Our model is a center bath model, so the water pump and pipes leading to what appears to be our fresh water tank and grey tank(?) is under the triple wardrobe closet.
My question is: is there a valve that needs to be turned on to allow water to flow through my pipes? Also, I've taken a picture of the nest of pipes and wires that is under our wardrobe, so if any of you could give me a description of what is in place, that would be greatly appreciated as well!

Thanks!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0136.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	371.6 KB
ID:	288644Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0139.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	347.7 KB
ID:	288645Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0137.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	328.4 KB
ID:	288646
MMThomp2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum!

There should be an owner's manual that came with your trailer, which will explain all the systems, including the plumbing. There are actually two systems for getting water:

1. the tank you filled, which is then connected to a pump powered by the 12-volt on-board electrical system using the batteries (or converter/charger when on shore power) -- your pump is the black object next to the wheel well at the top of your first two photos;

2. a city water hose connection on the outside of your trailer, which I think is near the roadside rear bumper.
[Edit -- see photo on PDF p. 64 of manual linked below]

There are many details to fill in, and precautions to take, but to get water from the tank to fill your plumbing system you must locate the switch(s) for turning on the pump. One switch is usually located on the general systems monitoring panel, along with readouts for your water and holding tank levels, plus battery voltage. There may also be a separate pump switch in the bathroom.

Our you can hook up your hose to the city water inlet. An inline filter and water pressure regulator are recommended. Your city water system has a pressure regulator shown in the photos (grey/blue device with brass top adjuster on the lower left of the photos) but it may or may not work correctly.

I think this is your manual FYI:

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...ream-TT-OM.pdf

The plumbing section is "R" which starts on p. 63/86 of the PDF.

FYi there is also this recent thread about a similar 1994 34' with pump issues:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...er-169136.html

Lastly -- for now -- you might like to peruse the list of topics in the Fresh Water Systems sub-forum, as there is plenty of reading available here!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443/

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
You most likely have a failed pressure regulator (cylindrical part just above the ventilation hose in the first photo). Either repair/replace in situ or delete it and add an external one on your water hose.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I don't think they were using the city water inlet, just the water tank, if I have read the OP correctly: " . . . we were not able to get any water flowing from our tank through the pipes to our sinks."
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Is the pump running? It won't do anything unless the pump is running. One pump switch is on the control and monitor panel and the other is usually in the bathroom above the sink. It will make a loud buzzing noise and it should stop once the pressure has built up to about 50 psi. It will start running when you open a faucet or if the tank is empty. If it is not running you need to find out why. I would start with the water hose connection to see if you have any leaks. Make sure you have someone at the outdoor faucet to shut it off if there is a major leak, expect leaks.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Sorry my bad. Need to read more closely next time:-)
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 01:02 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , California
Water

Its most likely the water pump not on/working.
Wow - Looks like mine did.

I have a 1983 32', I recently started to replace all of my water lines with PEX! it is time well spent, water pressure is better, and the taste is much better. I have installed new pump, Water bladder tank, filter. When I get more money a new hot water tank will appear! If you have the time it is well worth replacing 40 year old water lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMThomp2118 View Post
Hi guys,
First, I'd like to apologize if this question has been asked many times before. I haven't seen anyone ask this yet, but if I'm wrong, Im sorry. So my wife and I recently purchased a 34' 1984 Airstream International and we are renovating it (not a complete gut job, but a good amount), and we have come across a few issues, but my main concern is the water system. So last night we hooked up to a water supply and attempted to fill up our fresh water tank to test the pipes and see if there are any leaks occurring, but we were not able to get any water flowing from our tank through the pipes to our sinks.
Since this is our first go at life in an airstream, the entire water system is a bit confusing to me, and I'm attempting to wrap my head around it. Our model is a center bath model, so the water pump and pipes leading to what appears to be our fresh water tank and grey tank(?) is under the triple wardrobe closet.
My question is: is there a valve that needs to be turned on to allow water to flow through my pipes? Also, I've taken a picture of the nest of pipes and wires that is under our wardrobe, so if any of you could give me a description of what is in place, that would be greatly appreciated as well!

Thanks!Attachment 288644Attachment 288645Attachment 288646
nhaas is offline   Reply With Quote