Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2006, 08:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Auburntown , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to cookeville34
1979 Sovereign International

Noticed there is no forum for 1979 International, my 31' trailer says International on the rear and Sovereign Land Yacht on the ID plate. Just wondering what to call it?
Also, I gave Airstream a call and they said it was a "Sovereign Standard" mostl likely sold new in 1980. (131TJ0162)

1992 Buick Roadmaster Wagon, 5.7L - V8, stock 5000# tow rating, posi, aux trans cooler, rear coil over shocks, 2" rear spring lift kit, flowmaster exhaust.
cookeville34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
The first digit of the VIN is probably an 'I', not a '1', denoting an International trailer. Never mind that it may have been changed to a '1' on the title (like mine) because some registry systems refuse to use the letter 'I' to avoid confusion.

International, 31', twin bed, made in Jackson Center, Ohio. Are you missing a digit? There should either be a '9' or an extra '0' in there.

As far as I know, all 31s were Internationals. The International was a higher trim level with more standard equipment. "Sovereign" denotes a 31' trailer.

I think the full name is "Airstream Sovereign International Land Yacht." But given that I'm relatively new, someone may need to step in and correct me.

But for us, if you simply said you had a 1979 Sovereign, we'd know that you were talking about a 31' trailer - no question.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:46 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Rockport , Texas
missing #

we are having a missing digit problem as well. I31D9J618
four people looked at it so it's really not there! can you put a 0 in when you have a number missing?
BakedTaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:51 PM   #4

1980 28' International
Houston , Texas
Smile 1979 International

I had the same problem with mine, which was registered as a 79 International. Unfortunately, I just recently sold it, and I regret it every minute!

I wanted to post out there that I have two of the brown large bins that are for storage underneath the front sofa, as well as 2 of the brown rolling drawers that were in the clothes storage/wardrobe. I had completely gutted and remodeled mine, and if anyone out there needs these bins, they are yours for free. All I ask is that you pay the shipping.

Hopefully soon, I will find another one to work on, and this time, I will keep it!

Regards,

Ken Mendez
kenmendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Just say 79 Sovereign and everyone will know you have the 31ft trailer. The International has some upgrades to it, but in the 70's vintage world a Sovereign is 31ft of beautiful, fun Airstream. Here's what I found in mine along with lots of appliance documentation and fun instructions on what you weren't allowed to do in the trailer and what you had to remember to do before you brought it home. "No shoes ever" while inside the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream.jpg
Views:	1617
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	60804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream2.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	60805  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream3.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	60806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream4.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	60807  

Old 06-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Barren Springs , Virginia
I purchased my first Airstream today! It's a 1979 31' Soverign International. It has a rear bedroom and center bath. A little cleaning and misc adjusting on my hitch and it will be ready to go camping. I pulled it approx 200 miles today and it towed really well even though the ball was 23 inches high. It had very little sway and only around 65 or 70 mph did I notice it. I'm sure it will pull better when I get the ball height to 19 1/4 .
Dave
Trackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Hope you have a weight distribution hitch and a good sway bar. If not, get that set up and you will be surprised at how much better that 31ft tows. Congratulations on your new Sovereign. I have the same floor plan and couldn't be happier with it. These are fun trailers to camp in. ALL THAT ROOM!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookeville34 View Post
Noticed there is no forum for 1979 International, my 31' trailer says International on the rear and Sovereign Land Yacht on the ID plate. Just wondering what to call it?
Also, I gave Airstream a call and they said it was a "Sovereign Standard" mostl likely sold new in 1980. (131TJ0162)
Seems to me like a Sovereign is way heavier than the towing capacity of your TV.
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:02 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Juel---thanks for posting the option list & price schedule. That was a great find!!!

Dave--your hitch height may differ from published specs d/t the torsion axle's rubber inserts deteriorating over time. It may be an inch or two lower if you find a level spot and measure. 1+ on the WD hitch!
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:38 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel View Post
Hope you have a weight distribution hitch and a good sway bar. If not, get that set up and you will be surprised at how much better that 31ft tows. Congratulations on your new Sovereign. I have the same floor plan and couldn't be happier with it. These are fun trailers to camp in. ALL THAT ROOM!
Yes I do have a weight distributing hitch. It's a Reese Trunnion style with a easy lift anti sway bar. I will probably lower my hitch on my 1999 Dodge 2500 Diesel truck about 3 inches. It will take that much in order to reach 19 1/4 top of ball. I thought about having another receiver tube welded underneith my original receiver tube with a 1 inch spacer between them. I really have not researched it to see which is safer.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:40 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeakMD View Post
Juel---thanks for posting the option list & price schedule. That was a great find!!!

Dave--your hitch height may differ from published specs d/t the torsion axle's rubber inserts deteriorating over time. It may be an inch or two lower if you find a level spot and measure. 1+ on the WD hitch!
Thanks for the info. I'll check that height before I make any moves with the hitch.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakedTaters View Post
we are having a missing digit problem as well. I31D9J618
four people looked at it so it's really not there! can you put a 0 in when you have a number missing?
The 4 numbers didn't start I believe until 1971.

Your serial number is correct.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Trackers
There is a drop made by Blue Ox that will take care of the drop you need .I had to do the same thing with my F350 Ford.Mine I think was at 22 or 23 and I now have a 19 in tongue height. I ordered my drop from Peoples RV's in Texas.the service was great. I also use the Reese Dual Cam and am pleased with it. I get no Sway even on two lane roads when meeting semi's of all configurations.
Trakers. Andy from Inland RV's has a thread that addresses HOW to tell if you need axles. My trailer is parked now and waiting for Axles from Henshen. We had it out once on bad axles and began popping rivets because of too much shock being absorb into the shell.
So be advised if your axles are bad Serious damage can result that gets very costly.
I find that I get the best fuel mileage at around 60 mph. We get 17 MPG with our 7.3 liter V8 Harvester Diesel.
Good Luck and have fun
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:55 AM   #14
Airstream Rookies

1979 31' Sovereign
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
1979 Sovereign International

Hi...just found this thread searching for info on 1979 Sovereign Int'l...we just got ours June 1st and are searching for a Owners Manual...any suggestions? I think I could order one from AS but I was hoping to find one (or parts of one) posted online. We have a lot of restoration to do and I'm nervous about starting without looking through the OM. We do have the SM but that is way too technical for us...odd that almost all years have their own forums except for 79 Sovereign? Thanks for any help you all can provide.
"What is the feeling when you're driving away from people, and they recede on the plain until you see their specks dispersing? -it's the too huge world vaulting us, and it's good-bye. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies." Jack Kerouac
Mark&Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:00 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Mark&Nicole, Welcome to the forum. If you find a good place to get the owners manuals let me know. I need the service manual and the owners manual for my 1979 International also. I am finding a few (hidden problems) the Previous owner did not tell me about when I bought it. I got mone about 2 weeks ago.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:49 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackers View Post
Mark&Nicole, Welcome to the forum. If you find a good place to get the owners manuals let me know. I need the service manual and the owners manual for my 1979 International also. I am finding a few (hidden problems) the Previous owner did not tell me about when I bought it. I got mone about 2 weeks ago.
We have those manuals.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:09 PM   #17
dbad

1977 31' Sovereign
San Diego County , California
BRown BINS

Do you still have the brown bins for under front sofa, and the wardrobe bins?

D. Badami
dbadami@me.com (if you want to continue off-forum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmendez View Post
I had the same problem with mine, which was registered as a 79 International. Unfortunately, I just recently sold it, and I regret it every minute!

I wanted to post out there that I have two of the brown large bins that are for storage underneath the front sofa, as well as 2 of the brown rolling drawers that were in the clothes storage/wardrobe. I had completely gutted and remodeled mine, and if anyone out there needs these bins, they are yours for free. All I ask is that you pay the shipping.

Hopefully soon, I will find another one to work on, and this time, I will keep it!

Regards,

Ken Mendez
drbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #18

1979 31' Sovereign
worcester , Massachusetts
Are the International Sovereign Airstreams a good airstream to buy? Are there not some airstreams that are rated as less than the best? Does this include the 1979 Sovereigns? I am currently looking to put some money down on one that will cost probably $12,000. Is that overpriced, guys and gals with knowledge out there? The fridge is electric, so I would need to convert that to original battery, car battery and tank power, and the awning needs replacing. The front protection window is cracked but usable. Otherwise it looks great. Anybody any thoughts?
Freefeather5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #19
x

XXXX , XXXX
freefeather5 $12,000 is far too much for a 79 in the condition that you describe. Maybe if it had been restored. A new fridge will cost you $2,500 and a new awning will be $2,000. The front window rock guard is I think $400. So right there is needs close to $5,000 in parts alone never mind the labor.
You can be pretty sure it has floor rot and frame rusted out sections from what you say about the condition it has not been maintained properly over the years, allowing it to leak causing the rot and rust. Sovereigns of that era in average usable condition sell for half or less than the $12,000 asking price.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #20

1979 31' Sovereign
worcester , Massachusetts
Thanks for your advice! It is selling for $9,500, but I put in the extra to cover me going to pick it up, the dealer said he could probably put a refurbished fridge in for $6-700, but no definite quote yet, and he said the awning could probably be replaced for about $200, and the front window guard for a few hundred. Otherwise, he says it is solid throughout, and the pics look fabulous. It has got a slight crinkle that has been pulled out on a front corner, but he says that it doesn't hurt anything inside. He has good feedback for selling airstreams on ebay.
It would be a 2 day trip for us to go see it, so your input is important!! It is interesting you say a decent one can be had for a few thou less.

Next question - does anyone know of a really good trusty dealer in the New England area?
Freefeather5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign