Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2002 - 2005 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2002, 02:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
New Int'l Floorplan

The concept of a light, 8' narrow, 22' short trailer for small campgrounds is intriguing. A little more than a Bambi, with dual axles.

But there's no way I'd wanna shower over the toilet and sink or have to use either after someone just showered. You don't have to do that in a 19' Bambi! And I'd like a little more room to dress in the bathroom, and the wardrobe close to the dressing area. I also don't like the idea of the dinette being the only place to sit and relax, or the tiny size of the CCD refrigerator and sink. Finally, I just don't like a bed there as you and guests come in the door.

So here's a coupla stabs at an International flooplan I could live with. The couch/bed could be pushed rearward, at the expense of some counterspace, and a 4-6" bolster put behind it to get the bed width to 52-54". That's a towel rack on the right side of the toilet. The lower floorplan could also have a MW above the refrigerator, and in both, the TV could sit on the table inside the door. Although an LCD flat-panel TV on the back of the dinette would work if the table next to the couch was folding.

Just some thoughts... Lemme know whatcha think.

Old 10-03-2002, 02:58 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Interesting!

I, for one, will never own a trailer without a permanent bed, so that would let me out right away. I do miss the couch of my prior trailer sometimes, but there are just 2 of us and the dinette is comfortable enough for the little time we spend sitting in the trailer. Guests ... not very often in a 22' trailer. I always keep the bed made up with the supplied (and very attractive) bedspread just because I'm a neatnick when using the trailer.

I put a much larger, albeit thinner, cloth shower curtain in my International and I can shower with minimum water getting on the sink and none on the commode. I would much rather have the small bathroom than have a larger portion of the trailer be the bathroom at the expense of the galley or bed.

In a 22' trailer, the wardrobe is never far from the dressing area. In my AS, we dress in the bedroom area anyway. Wife closes the folding door, I don't bother.

Storage looks pretty minimal, especially the galley. I'd miss the pantry.

I'm sure there would be interest in such a floorplan, but not by me.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 07:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I can see your points about storage, relative to an AS (duh! that's where I posted it I guess), but there's not much difference compared to a CCD... I never noticed how much difference there was between the AS and CCD in that respect.

I guess I'd rather have the couch than a permanent bed... they're really quick to make up... one side and two corners of a fitted sheet over the back, THEN fold it out. There could always be the option of the standard CCD permanent one.

It appears we differ greatly in our opinions of the telephone booth bathroom LOL! I'm sure there are those that agree with each of us on the trade-off. I just wonder if that will cost Airstream sales in that size now that the Internationals are the only models in that size range?

I've also never seen a vintage rear bath Airstream, and wonder how much like one these floorplans are.

Thanks for the comments, John!
Old 10-03-2002, 08:02 PM   #4
Contributing Member

Lightbulb My ideas

Differences in opinion are what makes the world go round.

I gotta admit, I would love to see an AS-like model a couple of feet longer, 24' or 25', with the extra space used to tuck a shower behind the commode. The commode would then be where the trailer is wider and could be moved streetside a bit for a roomier bathroom. I wouldn't chnge the steet side, otherwise.

On the curb side I would put a credenza where the small cabinet is now, just aft of the door. That would be right across from the dinette for a great TV stand. The fridge would then be well away from the door so that there wouldn't be the "fan behind the door" problem of the present AS.

15" tires for better useful load and it would be a real winner. Lots of inside storage, separate shower, and otherwise everything I love about the AS, the galley, and the outside storage.

Everyone uses a trailer differently, but I couldn't live with the limitations of the CCD, particularly the tiny, low refrigerator which I hated on my previous trailer. I consider the CCD a nice weekender. I just spent 2 weeks in the AS without feeling any limitations and I would have very happily extended the stay.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-18-2002, 05:51 PM   #5
Contributing Member

Couch option

The latest A/S International AS web page indicates that there is an option of replacing the dinette with a couch. This dovetails with something I have been thinking of for some time ... rotating and rebuilding the present dinette seats into a couch. I have no intention of ever using the dinette as a bed. The only loss would be a phone jack behind the couch and an AC outlet that could easily be relocated onto the front face of the couch. The phone jack is no loss ... there are 2 more in the trailer at much more convenient places.

The main thing that would have to be done is relocating the converter slightly. Even the carpet is already in place under the dinette seats.

The result would be a 72" couch with loads of floor space in front. I would either construct a drop-leaf table for in front of the couch or else use airline-type stow-away tables like I did on a former trailer. There would be 4" of extra space at the end(s) that could be used for table storage.

Take a look at the floorplan, below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	couch_floorplan_s.jpg
Views:	1374
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	689  
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-18-2002, 06:22 PM   #6
Contributing Member

And how about a 25' International?

Here's how I would stretch the International, keeping the 8' width , exchanging the dinette for a couch,and adding a credenza and another window just behind the door.

Theis gets the refrigerator fan out of the shadow of the door.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	long_couch_fp_s.jpg
Views:	1415
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	690  
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-18-2002, 07:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Good deal, John! I really like that idea of airline tables. That would get you what you want... permanent bed and a couch... and the 25' gives more bathroom. I've no doubt you'll have a couch one of these days now that you have it on paper!

I picked one of my two floorplans (the one with the TV and beer closest to the couch) and have been playing with it a little more too. I'm still trying to keep it focused on a young couple with one or two small children, so having sleeping on the dinette and couch, as well as room for privacy is still important.

Old 10-18-2002, 07:50 PM   #8
Contributing Member

Neat!

Maybe someone at A/S will see these ideas and something real neat might just pop out of the end of the tunnel in a year or so.

Of course, my focus is just us two old folks and trips of 1 to 3 weeks.

The lazy Susan idea for the TV is good. Right now I have mine strapped down, but I do just happen to have a couple of ball-bearing turntables laying around the shop.

I'm going to start CAD plans for the couch conversion. Bet I will have it done by spring and I'll bet no one will be able to tell that it isn't original. I'll start by ordering a chunk of the "Tropical Oak" laminate for a new front panel.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-15-2002, 04:05 PM   #9
Contributing Member

Couch conversion

I'm a few steps closer to converting my dinette to a couch. I have designed a stow-away table that folds against the bedroom wall when not in use and doesn't intrude when open. I'm starting to gather parts; I'm having some problem finding the matching laminate.

Sometime after the first of the year, I'll build the table in my shop and have it all ready to mount in tyhe trailer. I'll bring the trailer home and park it between my shop and the house where it can't be seen (covenants). I figure two good days of work to do the conversion.

After my recent flood, I had the dinette seat out and the wheelwell cover out which gave me a good look at what has to be done to make the change (very little).

I'll post a picture essay when it all happens.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-16-2002, 01:09 AM   #10

I want to convert my couch to a dinette but I won't because I'm a lousy DIY'er .

Ron
NewStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 06:36 PM   #11
Contributing Member

Dinette to couch conversion

I ordered the laminate today to make the new table. I'll have plenty since the smallest piece I could get is 30" x 96". That's OK since I want to make a shelf for over the dressing table, also.

A few days ago, I ordered the metal parts for the table, including a special hinge that folds the leaf flat under the table when not in use. I also bought a laminate trimmer, a tool I have needed for some time since I like to build furniture as a hobby.

I have two things to build before I do the change, the table and a magazine rack to fit into the opening to under the bathroom sink.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-18-2002, 07:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
tables

Pahaska,

How will you be finishing the edges of your new surfaces?

I replaced the dining table and sofa table for mine and used T-mould for the edging. It is much easier than trying to glue strips of formica on the edges, looks great and holds up better. I got it at Woodcrafters and it comes in black brown and white, and comes either 3/4 or 13/16 wide. You also need a slot cutter for your router to make the kerf for it to insert into.

Chas
Old 12-18-2002, 08:19 PM   #13
Contributing Member

Chas

I had the T-mold on my Scamp. It was OK.

In the Airstream, I'm going to laminate the edges to match the balance of the surfaces. I want it to look like the factory made it that way. Not to put down the T-mold, but it wouldn't match anything in the trailer.

I have laminated edges for many years with no problems holding up. I have always used my router to trim the edges, but I just bought a laminate trimmer, something that I have wanted for some time.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-02-2003, 05:15 PM   #14
Contributing Member

Progress

My new table is all laminated and the hinges are installed. I used an oak laminate that is similar, but not identical to the laminate on the cabinets in the AS. I used oak rather than the black Galaxy Graphite of the origginal table so as to make the interior lighter and to not show every speck of dust like my counters.

Because of the layout, the new table is longer and narrower than the original table. To make it even less intrusive when all of the space is not needed, I added a leaf that folds flat underneath. I found some absolutely neat hinges for this purpose. The photo shows a hinge and the rabbit I routed to mount the hinge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	inge and slot.jpg
Views:	1030
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	1161  
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-02-2003, 05:18 PM   #15
Contributing Member

More

Here is the table bottom with the leaf folded. There are detents on the hinges that latch the folded leaf in place.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	leaf folded bottom.jpg
Views:	945
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	1162  
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-02-2003, 09:58 PM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I just wanted to say I really enjoy seeing all the mods you're doing tinkering with your International. I thought it was a great floorplan before, but I can't wait to see pictures when you get this couch/table done. Airstream corporate really should be paying attention!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 09:41 PM   #17
Contributing Member

Thumbs up Progress

The table is finished except for varnishing the bottom. I used oak-faced plywood, turned the best face down, and laminated the top surface and edges. I "borrowed" the leg off the table in the trailer for mounting and testing the table.

The photo shows the table in its folded posiion against a simulated bedroom partiton. The clamp is just there to hold the table mounting block in place. What you can't see is the slide assembly that allows the table to fold against the wall and supports the table when it is in the raised position.

When folded, the table only projects about 2" from the wall.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	table folded.jpg
Views:	867
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	1230  
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-11-2003, 09:47 PM   #18
Contributing Member

It works

Table in raised position with the leaf folded. This is the way it will be used most of the time when few dishes are needed. The table is 16"x44" and is sized hold two placemats side by side with plenty of space around them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	table up - leaf folded.jpg
Views:	878
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	1231  
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-11-2003, 09:52 PM   #19
Contributing Member

And the whole smash

Here is the table with the leaf raised. It is 21"x44" in this state and will handle 2 place mats side by side with plenty of space for serving dishes. It should look great with my Airstream motif dishes.

I used oak laminate to keep the trailer interior bright rather than the black "Galaxy Graphite" on the original table.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	table up - leaf open.jpg
Views:	864
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	1232  
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-11-2003, 10:02 PM   #20
Contributing Member

The guts

And here is what makes it fold so nicely. The slide assembly is laminated in black "Galaxy Graphite" to match the counters in the trailer. The wood for the slide is hard maple salvaged from the pedals of a defunct theater-style organ. All joints are glued with biscuit joinery for strength.

The aluminum guides were salvaged from the arms of an awning that was destroyed by the wind about 10 years ago. I always knew they would come in handy.

Rollers running inside the guides are made of 1/2" dowel with rubber tires cut from a hose. The leg nestles between the folded leaf and the aluminum guides.

The long maple block at the bottom is on there for testing and will be replaced by a laminated piece. That block will be screwed to the bedroom partition to support the front end of the table.

The photo shows the assembly as it is when the table is folded. When the table is raised, the slide reverses and supports the partition end of the table. Initial testing shows that the table is as stable or more so than the original dinette table which is attached to the inner skin of the trailer.

This photo shows really well how everything nests so that the table only takes up about 2" of space when folded.

Now, on to the next phase of preparation for the big change.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	finished slide.jpg
Views:	853
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	1233  
WBCCI #9632

Tags
2003 international