Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Wichita Falls , Texas
Time to replace the batteries

Hi, I bought my Airstream about 8 years ago, and it's time to replace the batteries. I have always been annoyed (shocked, in a very real sense!) that my batteries barley fit into their boxes, and usually spit sparks when I take them out as they brush the metal trim. What is the "right" battery for these things?? Also, what is the "best" battery for these???

Thanks

Scott
frscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Hi Scott,
I would venture to guess that your trailer uses two group 24 batteries.
Best is a matter of opinion. Some people recognize Lifeline AGM batteries as the best. I don't have any experience with them, just read good things about them. A couple of decent quality flooded cell group 24 batteries with a new 3 stage charger/converter should get you a few years of enjoyment.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
I'll be listening in on this one. Debating adding a second group 24 or just taking the plunge for two 6V golf cart batteries. I'd like to know I could boondock (wisely) for 2-3 days at a time and not worry about it.

Got a Bambi 16 with different power needs than a Sovereign, but the basics should still apply.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Frscott,
your 'Stream has the batteries mounted in the little doors on the front, right? Those boogers are tough to get out without zappin' the + post on the shell.

I have Group 27 Interstate's in my '91 and usually hang a leather glove over the post to keep that from happening.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
it was mentioned to me that i should reverse the battery position so that i can disconnect the negative posts after slipping the batteries out a bit. you also need to power down the converter first. then the positive post won't short because the circuit is now open.

i've also used a section of that anti-theft packaging. i cut a flat piece and slip it between the post and the opening.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Wichita Falls , Texas
Those are great ideas, i will look at the group 24s and the new charger--though I just rebuilt my couch and swore I would never move it again!! Oh well, it's for the Airstream!

Thanks and will be in touch
Scott
frscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
it was mentioned to me that i should reverse the battery position so that i can disconnect the negative posts after slipping the batteries out a bit. you also need to power down the converter first. then the positive post won't short because the circuit is now open.,.
That only works if you have a single battery. The 2nd battery keeps stuff hot.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:44 PM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by frscott View Post
Those are great ideas, i will look at the group 24s and the new charger--though I just rebuilt my couch and swore I would never move it again!! Oh well, it's for the Airstream!

Scott
I know Costco has a good price on Group 24s. I've heard that Sam's does as well, but I don't know that for a fact.

I have a 5-year-old "Super Start" house-brand Group 24 deep-cycle from O'Reilly Auto Parts that's still ticking along, and their replacement is about $85 in Fort Worth.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Hi, I bought my Airstream about 8 years ago, and it's time to replace the batteries. I have always been annoyed (shocked, in a very real sense!) that my batteries barley fit into their boxes, and usually spit sparks when I take them out as they brush the metal trim. What is the "right" battery for these things?? Also, what is the "best" battery for these???

Thanks

Scott
Quote:

Scott
Hi, Scott; I think the best batteries for you are the same as what you already have, but new. My batteries seem to only last for three years, and you got eight years. Sounds to me that you already had the best batteries made.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
That only works if you have a single battery. The 2nd battery keeps stuff hot.
thanks for catching that. i pull out the first battery, disconnect the first negative cable then move over to the other negative cable and finally back to the positive cables.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote