Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2019, 11:34 PM   #1

No spare tire in my 1984 sovereign

Hello all.
I just bought my 1984 AS 27D recently. I’m very Excited...and lots work to do. I do have a few questions, much appreciate if someone can help:
1. No spare tire under the front tongue behind propane tanks.
2. And the propane line is crossed/pinched by the jack. Is this normal?
3.there is a button with “STEP” right beside the door (inside). don’t know which light it controls.
4. Fridge doesn’t work. Need to find out why.
5. Is it normal there are some insulation materials fall out from the ceiling AC unit?

Thanks so much!
uahub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Welcome to the forum.

Hi, although I have not used a spare tire for decades, I would not be without one. Propane lines should not be pinched. I'm sure someone with a similar trailer to yours will chime in.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:56 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by uahub View Post
Hello all.
I just bought my 1984 AS 27D recently. I’m very Excited...and lots work to do. I do have a few questions, much appreciate if someone can help:

It would be a good idea to get a spare tire and wheel, and check the other tires at the same time for condition and age.
Quote:

No. The LP line should not be crushed. It probably got that way when the tongue jack stopped working, and someone used a jack or jackstand to support the tongue. The line will need to be repaired or replaced.
Quote:

3.there is a button with “STEP” right beside the door (inside). don’t know which light it controls.
The step light, of course. Located outside the trailer, near the steps.
Quote:

It could be almost anything. Is it plugged in? If the LP line is crushed, it probably won't work on LP (duh!). Is it the original? Has somebody replaced it with a household fridge?
Quote:

5. Is it normal there are some insulation materials fall out from the ceiling AC unit?
Not really normal, but that's where mice seem to like to make nests.
Quote:

Thanks so much!
You're welcome.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:27 PM   #4

Thanks for your reply. I’ll get a spare for sure. The LP line was pinched by the jack stand/support near the door, not near tongue jack. Looks like original though.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:53 PM   #5
Bompagene

1979 31' Sovereign
Pahrump , Nevada
Step switch

On my 1979 the ‘step ‘ light is above the door.
Bompagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:24 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Quote: "Is it normal there are some insulation materials fall out from the ceiling AC unit?"

Are you sure it's not the air filters coming apart?
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:24 PM   #7

I didn’t even know there is air filter. How do I change the filter? Thanks
Also the tongue jack decided to only go up not down today vintage AS sure is an endless project with fun though.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:31 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Quote:
I didn’t even know there is air filter. How do I change the filter? Thanks
Also the tongue jack decided to only go up not down today vintage AS sure is an endless project with fun though.
Depends on your model but the ceiling unit has reusable/washable air filters at the return air inlets.

They made have degraded to the point they are coming apart. If so you can look for new replacements or use any type of air filter media you get at the big box stores but you need to make sure it is backed by plastic or wire screen to keep it from sucking in. You could even use scissors on a home filter and cut to fit.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 01:18 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , California
I have a 83.
The spare is in your tow vehicle.
I pinched the PP line once late at night when the jack went out, not knowing that airstream mounted it to the inside of the bottom frame. When I replaced the line, I mounted it correctly on the inside of the frame going through the holes meant for the the PP line.
STEP light is outside of the trailer above the door. Mine will have a light added above the actual STEP eventually…..
Have someone look at the fridge, it could be dead.
When someone replaced the AC, they could have pulled the Insulation down. Take the plastic AC cover off and look if the insulation is pinched in the ceiling. Ether Rip it off or loosen the AC and push the insulation back in the ceiling.

Quote:
Hello all.

Thanks so much!
nhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 10:30 PM   #10

Thanks for your reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhaas View Post
I have a 83.
The spare is in your tow vehicle.
I pinched the PP line once late at night when the jack went out, not knowing that airstream mounted it to the inside of the bottom frame. When I replaced the line, I mounted it correctly on the inside of the frame going through the holes meant for the the PP line.
STEP light is outside of the trailer above the door. Mine will have a light added above the actual STEP eventually…..
Have someone look at the fridge, it could be dead.
When someone replaced the AC, they could have pulled the Insulation down. Take the plastic AC cover off and look if the insulation is pinched in the ceiling. Ether Rip it off or loosen the AC and push the insulation back in the ceiling.

Tags
sovereign